Plastic backed to cloth backed - Made the switch

sledder23

Urge U-IC, Type 2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Wondering how many have made this transition and what your takeaway is for this change.

For me, when the Dry 24/7’s were discontinued, I made the switch. I didn’t realize how scratchy and hot the plastic backed diapers were until revisiting them after a long while in cloth backed. Granted I don’t have fecal incontinence and only deal with urinary, the cloth backed work great as long as I have a Gary Active brief cover over to prevent the moisture escape that commonly results in a clammy outer shell when wet. Honestly, I find that the cloth backed are so close to the cotton underwear I used to wear before urge incontinence set in, I forget I’m in a diaper until it’s needed. I’ve also found that I have better skin condition with the cloth backed diapers. Occasionally, I have a tape that pops loose, but under jeans, I rarely have fit issues. I also enjoy the freedom of movement in cloth backed with far less chafing than what I used to have with plastic backed.

Anyway, look forward to hearing about your results and hope all are having a great week.

Reactions: tiron101, AttilaThePun, Canadianfalls and 1 other person
no way

I've always been IC. My mom tried cloth diapers and plastic pants when I was young. That didn't last long. Mostly because I also have F-IC. She didn't want to deal with cloth diapers in the laundry. So plastic backed disposable diapers were back. I remember after college that I tried cloth-like disposables. That weren't bad. Comfortable. But...I tend to flash flood my diaper. Even with a booster I would experience some leaks. And I didn't like feeling the wetness in those cloth-like diapers. So I went back to my usual plastic backed disposable. I'm sure there are plenty IC people who don't wet that heavy. And they probably like cloth-like disposables. But for me, I'm fine with my regular disposables.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and sledder23
Tried to like cloth backed but just can't. Can understand why people do though. Thought m2's were okay but they just felt really rough. Seemed to get a bunch of friction rashes. Got like a burning sensation/allergy with some other brands. Got some confidry left but gonna try better dry day when I get a job. The plastic seems really soft and comfortable tho the tapes seemed a little pokey.

Last edited:
Reactions: sledder23
I enjoy cloth backed so long as the diaper works for my needs. Most decent medical diapers that are cloth backed won't face the sweating feeling you described. Attends Premier are usually my night time go-tos, however I've leaked through those recently and am using my heavier iD Maxi Prime, also cloth backed.

Soft diapers are cloth backed, and the Premier is the softest there is. Neither has the sweating issue. Both are more comfortable than most plastic diapers.

Downsides I've noticed are a slight increased issue with compression leaks. Maybe plastic against the skin can better form a seal? I hate having sat down just to feel two half moons forming, or to release while sitting and feel dampness escape. I don't get that as much with BetterDry diapers when I use them.

Reactions: Deleted member 56273, Constantlydamp, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
I did the switch to woven nylon fabric (cloth-like) adult briefs in 2018 with a deep regret.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do only switch during summer to cotton feel, when it is really hot or humid. My main problem with cotton is the fact that they are getting loose, i am an active person and they just keep getting loose, this does not happen with the plastic backed version, no matter which one and i tested a lot.
The Molicare Premium Elastic is the best fitting cotton feel i could find, they hold up well enough, but they are two tapes style and are flexible as a pant.

Last edited:
My only time wearing cloth backed was a failure. Leaks even with my plastics over them.

BabyLouise said:
My only time wearing cloth backed was a failure.
You're not alone.

I always use cloth backed disposables they are so much nicer on my skin, if I wear a plastic backed I get horrible rash on my thighs and hips. Only advantage I can see to a PB is they have better hold but even so with the tapes once they are on you only have the back up blues to get you out of trouble that's it, at least you can adjust a cloth backed.

I think this is one of those personal preference things ultimately there's no difference in how much a Tena cloth backed and a Tena PB can hold.

Reactions: Andy97, sledder23, daylight and 2 others
Pongoandperdi15 said:
I always use cloth backed disposables they are so much nicer on my skin
Cloth-like disposables have their own advantages and disadvantages.

One of the biggest pros I particularly like is their quietness which makes them ideal for discreet wearing without the hassle of the crinkle associated with plastic-backed diapers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Andy97 and sledder23
Since beginning of my UIC two years ago I wear solely CF-backed diapers (Tena Proskin Maxi, Attends Flex, Tena Flex, Seni Quatro). I like the breathable surface, so nearly no sweating, and the very soft and quiet surface for discreet wearing. Never have issues with leaking or bad smelling. Especially the Tena tend to get a little loose while wearing, no problem to reposition and refasten the tapes from time to time!

Reactions: Andy97 and sledder23
Reactions: Deleted member 56273
Comfort and skin care are a big factor for me. Brands vary in fit for me. Plenty of plastic backed have leaked for me same w cloth backed. Betterdry, 24/7, and ns leak for me. Body shapes and active bodies I guess.

Whereas, cloth Molicare premium stretch elastics are comfortable but do leak a bit for me. The m1|2 and Seni fit and work the best.

I went to cloth-backed briefs for overnight. For wearing to bed, the loosening is not an issue. I also find that how you place the tapes are important. Cloth backed with hook and loop fasteners also work great when you still use the toilet, when necessary. These are also the cheapest briefs from Walmart (TENA (NA) Super).

I sometimes wear cheap cloth-backed briefs during the day using underwear briefs over them. These are cheaper than comparable pull-ups and the underwear brief keeps them in place. I wear these as just-in-case protection and don't have to worry about floods/leaks.

Canadianfalls said:
Soft diapers are cloth backed, and the Premier is the softest there is.
That's why Attends Premier are called Pampers Swaddlers in super duper steroids for a good reason.

Agree with some of the points mentioned. Plastic backed hold their shape longer without adjustment needed, but they are noisier for daytime use. I’ve had both styles leak but find cloth backed move with my body more to prevent or catch leaks. Agree that press out leaks are more common with cloth backed, but I also find that wicking and moisture distribution is far better with cloth backed.

I do still keep some high capacity plastic backed on hand for times when I’m sick or well hydrated and severe flooding is a good chance. The plastic backed diapers have their place, but they’re just not my daily drivers anymore.

Reactions: tiron101
The NorthShore Megamax and Megamax Lite(?) in cloth are really nice and don't have the typical problems associated with cloth diapers, namely the urine scent and the moisture coming through. Maybe if you completely saturated it. THey're really nice in hot weather.

i have a mixed stock of both. i tend to wear cloth-backed more during the summer months because theyre breathable and force me to change more frequently. their downsides are that urine seeps through them easily. i have to wear a diaper cover over them to mask the smell which defeats the purpose of being breathable. i would easily swap them out for a light plastic-backed diaper if they were cheap like tenas.

Back