Perpetual Fountain of Baked Goods.

NinjaPizza

Needs more pizza.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I love to bake! Mostly easy stuff, like cookies, brownies, quick breads and muffins, though I'm trying to up my game by attempting more complicated recipes. I also love baking fresh bread, though the recipe I use is pretty easy. Lately I've been taking pictures of what I bake and sharing them with friends. Figured I'd start a topic so all bakers can share their work. And the recipes if you like!

Here's today's treats: Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies. These are good. Better than I thought they'd be. Their middles are mouthwateringly soft with just a hint of a candy crunch around the edge. Do not overbake! In my oven, these were done in seven minutes. Your results may vary, but watch carefully and let them cool on the sheet. *ahem*

Cookies1.png

Cookies 2.jpeg

Aww yeah, close up shot. Custom blend of chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. Also, this post brought to you by GIMP open source photo editing software, because apparently my iPhone snapped a 4000x4000 pixel photo and I had to condense the image down to some format that wouldn't clog the inter-tubes.

The Recipe. No credit to me, as I found it from a blog titled momontimeout.

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp corn starch
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
  • 2 ripe bananas peeled
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Instructions​

• Whisk together the flour, baking soda, corn starch, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
  • Cream butter, bananas, and sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract until combined.
  • Stir in the flour mixture just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  • Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 375F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly spray with cooking spray.
  • Use a cookie scoop to scoop out cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheets.
  • Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes or just until they start to turn light, golden brown on top.
  • Let cookies cool completely on cookie sheets.

After writing this post, I'm down to my last cookie... but there's more dough in the fridge for tomorrow! :)

• Love
Reactions: GatoChihuahua, Deleted member 57387 and KrankyPants
NinjaPizza said:
....there's more dough in the fridge for tomorrow!
You'll knead it! 🤣

I got around to trying making cherry scones in our new breadmaker......🤢
I used a readymix, but crumbed in extra butter before adding chopped glace cherries.
I let the machine mix and 'knead' the dough on it's kneading function. I usually add extra plain flour as I go, when doing it by hand, but it was hard to guage it in the machine.
I also didn't bother rolling out the dough, once 'done', but just scooped out blobs for the scones (sue me, I'm disabubbled) to then bang in the oven.
Hard to say where it went wrong, but they taste crap, almost like there was no sugar in the mix 🤔, but I've noticed variations in readymixes before.
🙁

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Angelapinks and KrankyPants
My wife love to bake as well! And it’s so good 😁 she’s doing a lot with sourdough included cookies and brownies

Reactions: KrankyPants
That is such a cool hobby! I make perfect pancakes, but that is about it, lol! Now, please, can you PM me some of those cookies as an attachment! 🙃😜

Tonight's treat: Double Chocolate Chip Quick Bread.

So yesterday I had a killer craving for some ice cream. I dashed down to the store for some Moose Tracks, ate a bowl, and it was good. But whenever possible I prefer ice cream paired with something else, like cookies or pie or cake. Give that ice cream a warm and gooey pillar to rest upon.

Hence, Double Chocolate Chip Quick Bread.

Cake1.jpeg

Baked this thing in a glass bread pan which I procured specifically for quick breads. The pans I use for sandwich bread are metal, and old, and a little rusty around the corners, but they do the job. If you look carefully you'll notice not one but three holes I poked to determine whether or not this thing was done. I don't know about you, but never in my life, no matter the recipe, no matter the oven, have I ever been able to fully cook a quick bread without covering it with parchment halfway through baking time. The top just burns while the inside remains raw, and my solution is to shield the top with parchment paper or foil while the middle finishes up. Hmm. Perhaps I should just cover the thing in parchment paper from the start? Might work, might not. Anything's worth a try.

But WILL IT COME OUT OF THE PAN? WILL IT?

Cake2.jpeg

It released from the pan. :) Success!

So those white chunks you see are actually white chocolate chips. I used a mixture of half semi-sweet chocolate, half white chocolate, hoping to give this bread some color. I probably could have used more chips, but whatever, it's cool. As you can see the middle is a little molten, but nothing harmful. Make sure to use a good sharp knife when slicing this beast. Wrap and refrigerate leftovers. Assuming you have any leftovers.

Cake3.jpeg

And there's the ice cream! Two little scoops. Yum yum. This would be even more perfect with some caramel drizzle or whipped cream, but I do not have caramel drizzle or whipped cream, so this will have to do. Cherry pie filling would also be good.

Recipe Time! From sugarsaltmagic.com/chocolate-bread/

1/2 Cup Cocoa
2 Cups Flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk (I used half milk and half sour cream, since I had some sour cream in the fridge.)
1 stick butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350, or 325 if your oven runs hot like mine.
In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, both sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In another medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk or sour cream, melted butter, and vanilla.
Blend wet ingredients into dry ingredients while folding in chocolate chips. Be careful not to overmix.

Bake for... uhh...:oops: 50 to 55 minutes? What the hell? You baking this **** with a flashlight? Uhh, you do you, but mine was done in about 35 minutes. After twenty minutes I covered my loaf in parchment.

It's good! A little dry around the edges, but I really wanted that middle to be as cooked as possible. A vanilla glaze would help. If I were to make this again, I might poke holes in the top and drizzle the glaze into the cake while it cools.

Have fun!

• Love
Reactions: GatoChihuahua, Angelapinks and Lightstreak2553
KrankyPants said:
That is such a cool hobby! I make perfect pancakes, but that is about it, lol! Now, please, can you PM me some of those cookies as an attachment! 🙃😜

I'm interested in learning your secret pancake arts. I don't eat pancakes often, but when I do I like them to be good...

• Love
Reactions: Angelapinks and KrankyPants
NinjaPizza said:
I'm interested in learning your secret pancake arts. I don't eat pancakes often, but when I do I like them to be good...
I make them perfectly round, fluffy, with a hint of vanilla and you may not be able to tell which side is up. This is an area where my obsessive compulsivity helps. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Lilli7
I'm a sucker for sweets, but I'm also lactose intolerant so these recipes look like a recipe for a satisfying tummy ache and food coma! :LOL:

NinjaPizza said:
So those white chunks you see are actually white chocolate chips.
Phew! For a moment I thought that you'd ruined it with nuts 😁

ade said:
Phew! For a moment I thought that you'd ruined it with nuts 😁
Yeah, nuts are a dealbreaker not just for a lot of people, but a lot of recipes. You can't always "just add nuts" to things and hope it works out. Unless you really like nuts. If that's the case, knock yourself out.

Been a few days, but I'm back!

This next recipe has a bit of history. Family history.

Generally speaking, I love desserts with multiple flavors. I want pie with not one but three types of berries, then whipped cream on top. I want cake with caramel drizzle. I want glaze on my scones, I want crusty sugar on my muffin tops, and yes I do want raisins in my oatmeal raisin cookies, thank you very much. Chocolate chips too. Maybe even some crunchy peanut butter. My desserts don't need to be stupefyingly fancy, but whenever I hear from people who love a good plain chocolate brownie, I... well I also love a good plain brownie if the recipe is right, but given the option I'll take frosting every time. Walnuts every time. Cream cheese every time.

My father's a notoriously picky eater. All my life I thought I was the weird one, slathering my hamburgers in ketchup, ribs in sauce or topping my pizza with half a dozen vegetables and meats. Or turning an otherwise mundane dessert into an ice cream parfait, which is a thing my dad and grandfather think I'm a little odd for, but what can I say? I do not like plain foods. Even the dessert I'm about to post was served with a side of mint ice cream, though I'm the only one who ate it that way. For those who do enjoy one flavor desserts, this one's for you. Presenting, the three generation family classic: Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting.

Mudcake1.jpeg
Layer One!

Mudcake2.jpeg
Layer 2!

Yeah, dad lives in Northern Wisconsin, was/is a hunter, so that explains the camouflage-looking plates. Anyway, whenever possible, or usually when cooking for other people, I prefer a dual layer cake. Yes it's more work but it's also more fun to eat and looks fancier when you slice it open, even if the finished cake looks a little... rustic.

Mudcake3.jpeg

There you go. One layer stacked upon another, with fudge frosting in the middle and more fudge frosting all the way around. Nothing fancy about this cake, just chocolate upon chocolate. Sometimes for a good dessert you don't need anything else. Unless you're me, then you need a little bit of this...

Mudcake4.jpeg
Nom nom nom. So good.

The Recipe:

This is actually a "cheat" recipe, starting with a box cake mix, then adding ingredients to fancy it up. Increase moisture, improve texture, flavor. Maybe I've just had bad luck with box cake mixes, but to me they always taste salty and dry. This eliminates that problem.

One box chocolate cake mix.
One 3.9 ounce box of instant chocolate pudding.
3/4 cup sour cream.
3/4 cup vegetable oil.
3 eggs, slightly beaten.
2 teaspoons vanilla.
1/2 cup warm water, coffee, or instant coffee. For this recipe I used water which worked out fine.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease one 9x13 pan or two round 9 inch pans, making sure to get the sides.

Mix cake mix, pudding, sour cream, oil, eggs, vanilla, and water in a big bowl. Mix until combined. If using an electric mixer with a paddle, you can just throw everything in the bowl at once and mix until it's blended, pausing sometimes to scrape down the sides of the bowl. If mixing by hand you'll want to add ingredients slowly so they evenly blend.

Bake for 18-22 minutes or until you poke the cake in the middle with a sharp knife and it comes out mostly clean. When nearly finished, the cake will also spring back lightly when touched and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. If your oven is like mine, it murders chocolate desserts. You might want to reduce temperature to 325 for the last few minutes of baking to keep the tops from crisping up.

When cake is done, remove layers from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. To remove from pan, work your way around the edge of the cake with a butter knife or small flexible spatula to loosen the cake. Invert a dinner plate over the round cake pan then flip the whole thing over. If you greased your pan properly, the layer should slide right out. It should feel spongy. Try not to move it again until completely cool.

The Frosting:

This one's easy. Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting is one I use all the time. In fact I've used this frosting so much I should probably try another recipe, but I digress...

One stick butter.
2/3rds cup cocoa.
3 cups powdered sugar.
1/3 cup milk.
1 teaspoon vanilla.

In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Stir in cocoa, then alternately add powdered sugar and milk until the frosting is at the desired consistency. Stir in vanilla. That's it! For a sweeter, lighter frosting, add a little more milk. For a darker, fudgier frosting, add less. I just used a bowl and a spatula to make this stuff, but if you want an airy frosting, a mixer with a whisk attachment could do the job. Whatever you like!

This cake was a hit! Because it's layered in butter it won't dry out, at least not very fast. Pairs great with ice cream if you're like me, or a black cup of coffee with breakfast the next morning. Also a glass of milk in the middle of the night, because the cat woke you up, so as long as you're getting out of bed... :p

Several years ago, I made this cake even schmancier by crushing up Grasshopper cookies and pressing them into the frosting atop and around one half of the cake. To my surprise, most of my guests enjoyed the plain side. Huh. I also think this cake would be really stylish done in half chocolate half vanilla, the layers cut in half and frosting flavors inverted. And while Portal's no longer a meme, to put strawberries on top this thing wouldn't be wrong...

So that's another recipe on the books. Anyone else got treats to share? I didn't mean for this to become my own personal Food Blog, lol. I started this topic because I felt the boards have been a little empty/dreary as of late, and wanted to give an opportunity for people to share recipes and pictures of desserts. Maybe you guys have some requests? Some challenges? Should we host a contest? A holiday themed contest? Just some thoughts. Thanks for reading!

• Love
Reactions: ade, GatoChihuahua and KrankyPants
NinjaPizza said:
Been a few days, but I'm back!

This next recipe has a bit of history. Family history.

Generally speaking, I love desserts with multiple flavors. I want pie with not one but three types of berries, then whipped cream on top. I want cake with caramel drizzle. I want glaze on my scones, I want crusty sugar on my muffin tops, and yes I do want raisins in my oatmeal raisin cookies, thank you very much. Chocolate chips too. Maybe even some crunchy peanut butter. My desserts don't need to be stupefyingly fancy, but whenever I hear from people who love a good plain chocolate brownie, I... well I also love a good plain brownie if the recipe is right, but given the option I'll take frosting every time. Walnuts every time. Cream cheese every time.

My father's a notoriously picky eater. All my life I thought I was the weird one, slathering my hamburgers in ketchup, ribs in sauce or topping my pizza with half a dozen vegetables and meats. Or turning an otherwise mundane dessert into an ice cream parfait, which is a thing my dad and grandfather think I'm a little odd for, but what can I say? I do not like plain foods. Even the dessert I'm about to post was served with a side of mint ice cream, though I'm the only one who ate it that way. For those who do enjoy one flavor desserts, this one's for you. Presenting, the three generation family classic: Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting.

View attachment 79254
Layer One!

View attachment 79255
Layer 2!

Yeah, dad lives in Northern Wisconsin, was/is a hunter, so that explains the camouflage-looking plates. Anyway, whenever possible, or usually when cooking for other people, I prefer a dual layer cake. Yes it's more work but it's also more fun to eat and looks fancier when you slice it open, even if the finished cake looks a little... rustic.

View attachment 79257

There you go. One layer stacked upon another, with fudge frosting in the middle and more fudge frosting all the way around. Nothing fancy about this cake, just chocolate upon chocolate. Sometimes for a good dessert you don't need anything else. Unless you're me, then you need a little bit of this...

View attachment 79258
Nom nom nom. So good.

The Recipe:

This is actually a "cheat" recipe, starting with a box cake mix, then adding ingredients to fancy it up. Increase moisture, improve texture, flavor. Maybe I've just had bad luck with box cake mixes, but to me they always taste salty and dry. This eliminates that problem.

One box chocolate cake mix.
One 3.9 ounce box of instant chocolate pudding.
3/4 cup sour cream.
3/4 cup vegetable oil.
3 eggs, slightly beaten.
2 teaspoons vanilla.
1/2 cup warm water, coffee, or instant coffee. For this recipe I used water which worked out fine.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease one 9x13 pan or two round 9 inch pans, making sure to get the sides.

Mix cake mix, pudding, sour cream, oil, eggs, vanilla, and water in a big bowl. Mix until combined. If using an electric mixer with a paddle, you can just throw everything in the bowl at once and mix until it's blended, pausing sometimes to scrape down the sides of the bowl. If mixing by hand you'll want to add ingredients slowly so they evenly blend.

Bake for 18-22 minutes or until you poke the cake in the middle with a sharp knife and it comes out mostly clean. When nearly finished, the cake will also spring back lightly when touched and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. If your oven is like mine, it murders chocolate desserts. You might want to reduce temperature to 325 for the last few minutes of baking to keep the tops from crisping up.

When cake is done, remove layers from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. To remove from pan, work your way around the edge of the cake with a butter knife or small flexible spatula to loosen the cake. Invert a dinner plate over the round cake pan then flip the whole thing over. If you greased your pan properly, the layer should slide right out. It should feel spongy. Try not to move it again until completely cool.

The Frosting:

This one's easy. Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting is one I use all the time. In fact I've used this frosting so much I should probably try another recipe, but I digress...

One stick butter.
2/3rds cup cocoa.
3 cups powdered sugar.
1/3 cup milk.
1 teaspoon vanilla.

In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Stir in cocoa, then alternately add powdered sugar and milk until the frosting is at the desired consistency. Stir in vanilla. That's it! For a sweeter, lighter frosting, add a little more milk. For a darker, fudgier frosting, add less. I just used a bowl and a spatula to make this stuff, but if you want an airy frosting, a mixer with a whisk attachment could do the job. Whatever you like!

This cake was a hit! Because it's layered in butter it won't dry out, at least not very fast. Pairs great with ice cream if you're like me, or a black cup of coffee with breakfast the next morning. Also a glass of milk in the middle of the night, because the cat woke you up, so as long as you're getting out of bed... :p

Several years ago, I made this cake even schmancier by crushing up Grasshopper cookies and pressing them into the frosting atop and around one half of the cake. To my surprise, most of my guests enjoyed the plain side. Huh. I also think this cake would be really stylish done in half chocolate half vanilla, the layers cut in half and frosting flavors inverted. And while Portal's no longer a meme, to put strawberries on top this thing wouldn't be wrong...

So that's another recipe on the books. Anyone else got treats to share? I didn't mean for this to become my own personal Food Blog, lol. I started this topic because I felt the boards have been a little empty/dreary as of late, and wanted to give an opportunity for people to share recipes and pictures of desserts. Maybe you guys have some requests? Some challenges? Should we host a contest? A holiday themed contest? Just some thoughts. Thanks for reading!
At first I thought that was rum cake. Are you familiar with what that is?

• Love
Reactions: GatoChihuahua
And pizza?! 🤣Do you bake your own pizza? With mozzarela, ham, bacon,onion, mushrooms, corn. Damn im taste of pizza🤣

KrankyPants said:
At first I thought that was rum cake. Are you familiar with what that is?

I am not, but I should add that to my list. I just did some Googling, and it looks tasty. The rummier the yummier, am I right?

Laki3 said:
And pizza?! 🤣Do you bake your own pizza? With mozzarela, ham, bacon,onion, mushrooms, corn. Damn im taste of pizza🤣

I have not baked homemade pizza in a while since the prep required takes a lot of energy and time, but I'm sure I'll crave some soon enough.

EDIT: Wait, what? You put corn on your pizza? I've never heard of this. Please explain.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrankyPants
Yes corn, maybe is there translate falut🤣 that yellow thing beside olivs

Attachments

• ec637004-3be1-485c-9503-c9a3b031af6d-velky.jpg
    ec637004-3be1-485c-9503-c9a3b031af6d-velky.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 3
Well I do love olives. 😋 What's all on that pizza, anyway?

Yea, olives are great, green, black, brown, with cheese or garlic filling. Maybe person with better english(my is poor) can explain this problem with corn🤣

Attachments

• images(2).jpg
    images(2).jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
I used to bake a lot of bread but them I got cats. I was stuck with a bread machine. The recipes are designed to work with its timings so using another recipe is a crap shoot.

Back