Painting your nails

Status
Not open for further replies.
blondiewoof said:
I also do not have good nails, and haven't had for over 50 years. I have had tried everything I can think of, from gelatin to Sally Henson, and nothing helped (it may be different for others). My nails chip, peel, split and even bend down at a 90 degree angle without breaking, or no pain to me. I constantly was getting into a pocket for nail clippers (and I never find a brand that had a good nail file) to clip and file my nails - only to have the clippers out again with 10 minutes to at least try to file the nail I had just worked on, or to start work on another nail. Finally, after 40 plus years I went to artificial nails, and then to solar nails. I have not regreted it at all, and the nail tech, whom I have used for several years, applies a clear gel nail finish to complete the nail work. It does leave a shiny, very durable finish, and when (rarely) I have been asked about my nails, I simply tell the truth. I have been pleasantly surprised at the 100% positive acceptance I have had, with some even admitting they also had constant problems with their nails, and then decided to do something about it.
So why are males so reluctant to get something done? The answer is so simple it will astonish you!
Males, for the most part are neither encouraged nor trained while young to properly care for their nails as females are, with the ultimate result being they have bad, hard to care for nails.
The choice is yours - continue ignoring your nails and proper care, or start taking proper care of them. And in most cases, it starts when all else has failed - hasten thyself to a nail salon and learn how to care for nails correctly. You will not be disappointed. If you want them painted, the choice of color is yours.
Other than a clear UV ray protection top coat, you really do not need further color unless YOU want it. And there is nothing wrong with that. Why should the females enjoy some additional color while we males have to make do with dull, drab colors, and poor nails? Even a regular nail salon manicure may be all you need, but there is absolutely no realistic reason for anyone and everyone to not give their nails the care they need, and deserve.
Regardless of the fact that I was never encouraged to, my nails are in excellent shape as well as my hair. Despite the fact that I spike it into a mohawk of sorts. I'm using Studio M Darkest Black right now, after it dries a clear coat makes it look nice and shiny. I need a new remover though because the sponge one I have is stained black haha. It makes my fingers get a spotty black film of it on them. I only recently started painting them and the red I had made people go all, "o_O" so I switched to black.

Last edited:
I am sooooo jealous! OK, not really jealous - I just wish my nails were strong, healthy nails like yours, and lots of others. Sadly that has never been the case and now I do what I can to have respectacle looking nails and hopefully give some encouragement to others who want to do something about nails that may be less than healthy, neat and good looking.

What I'm curious about are the metalic shades, or the ones that make nails look like metal. I've seen a few with an oil sheen look that I liked. It's just a matter of going to a store and getting some. I still have a red but it isn't quite as dark as I want it to be so I just use that on my toenails, people can't see them anyway.

I have painted my nails (both toe and finger) before but the job was never satisfactory, especially my toenails.

I have heard from others on ADISC how good a manicure and pedicure are but I have been too nervous to get one.

Well, yesterday I decided to call a local salon. I picked one where they mention men in their price list (on the web) and set the appointment up for today.

I was pretty nervous (I went fully as a male - no female clothing at all). I was the only male there and there were four or five women getting their hair or nails done. The technician and receptionist were very kind and matter-of-fact. The pedicure was done first. She asked if I wanted a clear polish and I decided to go with a bright red. She then did my fingernails. I chose a clear finish for my fingernails (I have appointments tomorrow where painted fingernails would not be good).

No one said anything and everyone was polite. There wasn't any problem. The only negative was that (never having done this before), I wore socks and loafers. The technician said that I shouldn't wear either until the polish fully-cured (about 2 hours). So I had to wear some foam flip-flops that they had just for this, out to the car.

Would I do this again - yes. Will I do it often? No, the cost is too high to do it all the time - maybe two or three times a year. It wasn't as relaxing as some have said but that was more due to my first time than anything else. They offer a number of services and I might try something else next time, maybe even add color to my fingernails.

I do recommend everyone add this to your bucket list and have it done at least once in your life.

I'll paint my toe nails on occasion. it's easy to hide since I have to remain professional at work and I think i'd get odd comments otherwise. I usually go purple for those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back