Out of town trip advice.

diaperedEMT

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So Thursday I take a long journey from the Great State of Ohio to spend a week in DC. My kid is traveling down with her HS band. She has such horrible separation anxiety that she wouldn’t go unless we went as well. It’s been especially bad since her oven donor died from an OD last year.

Anyhoo, I’m look for advice or ideas when regards to what to wear. A diaper is my obvious choice as I leak WAY too much for a pull-up. Any tips for what to wear or use to prevent me from waddling around like a toddler in our nations capital. Most of our sight seeing will be done by walking as we plan to take in many of the museums and watch her perform. Anyone have any recommendations or insights with regards with places to change, places to avoid, etc etc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
I'm sure 'oven donor' is a euphemism for something, but I'm clueless. What does 'oven donor' mean?

I love DC. If I were in your shoes, I'd take along some BetterDry Day or something similar.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
Mega max ... Yes it will swell when wet but my experience has been a leak is far more noticeable than a slightly thicker diaper and that is key even when swollen I have never noticed that much difficulty in walking normal... Travelling can be stressful enough.. wear something that you can trust and will hold up longer than required. Basically my experience has been as follows the mega max will just keep absorbing until it gets far thick and heavy enough that it's crazy but say your having a difficult time finding somewhere to change it will just keep going like the Energizer bunny. On my trips across the country or my vacation time in Jamaica they were absolutely amazing. To be honest there were times in Jamaica at the bar that let's just say I didn't exactly tend to changing until far after it was necessary because I was just not paying mind to it. Never leaked and I was able to focus on enjoying myself rather than focusing on dealing with my conditions. Just my 2 cents.... A diaper that starts out fairly thin and will expand to shocking proportions with out a leak is a far better bet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, diaperedEMT, Jorelaxed and 2 others
sbmccue said:
I'm sure 'oven donor' is a euphemism for something, but I'm clueless. What does 'oven donor' mean?

I love DC. If I were in your shoes, I'd take along some BetterDry Day or something similar.
I believe the op ment organ donor

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, rennecfox and sbmccue
sbmccue said:

Long story short, my daughters birth mother my ex-wife had nothing to do with her and hadn’t seen her since she was 18 months old. She’s now 16. She refers to her as her oven donor.

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks and sbmccue
I would wear whatever level of protection your incontinence calls for plus a bit more maybe so at least you won’t have to worry about leaks if you’re away from a restroom for a long time.
I get by with a guard during the day and wear a diaper at night. I recently went on a long trip with a couple buddies and wore a megamax air during the car rides. First time I wore a diaper outside my house and I’m glad I did. (I did wear one all day and run to a store the weekend before for a test run lol) defiantly awkward at first but after a while it seems to get easier.
On the trip, No one knew, it was quiet and very absorbent. I even snuck a change from my bag to my coat and into a gas station bathroom halfway when I could feel it getting heavy. No one had any idea and the car seat stayed dry lol.

Reactions: Diprs2, barbiejoanne, Napincolove and 2 others
I find that a compression pant helps to keep things slim and quiet.

Reactions: Diprs2, Napincolove, diaperedEMT and 2 others
slimjiminy said:
I find that a compression pant helps to keep things slim and quiet.
Oh yea, I wore some snug fitting boxer briefs over mine to help keep it close and eliminate noise.
Good call Jiminy

Reactions: Diprs2 and diaperedEMT
When I’m out and about, I always make sure to wear a diaper with a pair of boxer briefs over it and a pair of Gary wear active briefs over that. I’ve also started carrying a messenger bag when I am out and about as an adult diaper bag that you can carry other things around in, so it’s not so obvious. Just remember to have fun and that nobody’s going to notice.

I assume you are a EMT and if that is the case... I what do you wear to work and how often do you change now? I would not try experimenting with new untested products. I use Mega Max solely as my daily driver. So I would stick with that. Starbucks have private restrooms and are always a good place to change. I think you might be over thinking it a little. But Loose fitting clothes with a good stretchable belt to hold it up my pants always helps. I never fill my mega max to capacity when in public either. Not like I do when at home anyway because a leak at home is not a big deal. But if you are a incontinent member and a working EMT then I would say you already pretty well should know how to manage your incontinence.

Diaperman95 said:
I assume you are a EMT and if that is the case... I what do you wear to work and how often do you change now? I would not try experimenting with new untested products. I use Mega Max solely as my daily driver. So I would stick with that. Starbucks have private restrooms and are always a good place to change. I think you might be over thinking it a little. But Loose fitting clothes with a good stretchable belt to hold it up my pants always helps. I never fill my mega max to capacity when in public either. Not like I do when at home anyway because a leak at home is not a big deal. But if you are an incontinent member and a working EMT then I would say you already pretty well should know how to manage your incontinence.
I swear by Mega Maxes. I was looking for more opinions of how and where diaper changing friendly bathrooms would be located. Just trying to see if anyone had been to DC and how they dealt with it.

My wardrobe would be just as I was going to work. Loose fitting pants and my onsie. Other than my uniform my clothing options are limited as I pretty much live at work. I’ve come to realize in my field you have to work twice as hard to make a livable wage, when it’s honest. I currently work enough hours in my full time gig that equals 2 full time jobs. I usually average a minimum of 72-76 hours a week and still pick up a couple shifts a month at two other PRN positions. However that won’t change until EMS is considered an essential public need, but that’s here nor there.

I’m taking enough diapers for 4 changes a day, but honestly probably won’t need that much. I’d rather be prepared for any unexpected changes and would not like to run out and end up buying some cheap store brand that would end up leaking before I could get changed. I am very appreciative of all the feedback I’m getting, thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Angelapinks
I think no-one here can give you advice what to exactly to wear or tell you when to change... the only one who could answer are yourself! You know your level of IC, you know which protection you wear usually, you now how long you can stay in a certain diaper, you know which one is comfortable for you concerning discretion, which one is comfortable while walking, you should have experience how easy (or not) it's to change in a public restroom... I can only suggest to stay in your usual routine as much as possible and not to experiment with new products on such a trip but rely on what you know already ! Incontinence and according protection is something quite individual, what is perfect for me could be disappointing for you and horrible for someone else and the other way round!

Washington D.C is a major tourist area. I haven't visited in a very long time, but back then there was never an issue with finding restrooms. Realize there are times you will park and walk between sites. If you carry a changing bag, you may be searched if you enter national monuments or buildings where you go inside. So pack it with the idea that you may need to repack it several times during the day. I do not know if they can accommodate privacy when searching a bag.

Have a fun trip.

diaperedEMT said:
I swear by Mega Maxes. I was looking for more opinions of how and where diaper changing friendly bathrooms would be located. Just trying to see if anyone had been to DC and how they dealt with it.

My wardrobe would be just as I was going to work. Loose fitting pants and my onsie. Other than my uniform my clothing options are limited as I pretty much live at work. I’ve come to realize in my field you have to work twice as hard to make a livable wage, when it’s honest. I currently work enough hours in my full time gig that equals 2 full time jobs. I usually average a minimum of 72-76 hours a week and still pick up a couple shifts a month at two other PRN positions. However that won’t change until EMS is considered an essential public need, but that’s here nor there.

I’m taking enough diapers for 4 changes a day, but honestly probably won’t need that much. I’d rather be prepared for any unexpected changes and would not like to run out and end up buying some cheap store brand that would end up leaking before I could get changed. I am very appreciative of all the feedback I’m getting, thanks again everyone.
I understand. I am grateful for our EMT's. You guys do amazing job that is needed every bit as bad as doctors and RN's. My family doc use to be a EMT and went back to schooling late in life as a second career after the oilfield crashed. I love the man & he is the absolute most down to earth doctor I have ever known. You should be a very proud for what you do.

I don't have a big desire to go to the capitol mostly as I have lost any faith that any of our political figures represent the folks they was elected to do so. . But I will stop talking politics before I hurt someone's feelings that I don't have any faith in our countries leaders. I am not talking blue or red lines either because all of our democratic system has fallen to corruption and does not represent the people anymore.

Well I figured you probably already had a pretty good idea how to manage incontinence... sounds like while taking care of others at the same time. Sounds like you are a old pro. I would plan on 4 diapers a day and I can't see you really using more than 3 unless you have bowel issues also. That is the only way I ever excide 3 mega max. I normally use about 70 mega max a month and a few pullups and or a few other brand diapers now out of the reserves too. But Normally I can get by changing about every 10 hours on average. Sometimes I might change as little as 6 to 8 hours but also I might go as fa as 16 hours if at home. I left the house at 8:30 this morning and had a couple doctors appointments over a hour from home. It is 9;30 pm and still have what I put on at 8 am. I figure I will change around 10:30 to 11 before bed. To me that kind of usage makes the price of the mega max priceless. For sure you 100% get what you pay for.

I wish you the best on your trip and just have fun and don't let a few little bladder leaks stop you from bonding with your baby girl. Just have fun & pack a few extra's just in case.

Reactions: Diprs2, diaperedEMT and Angelapinks
sbmccue said:

I think it was supposed to say organ donor.

sbmccue said:

Was possibly a typo they probably meant organ

Reactions: Angelapinks
Oh like the term bun in the oven to refer to being pregnant

Reactions: Diprs2, diaperedEMT and Angelapinks
But yeah what I do for travel is stock up on trest elite diapers since they are extra absorbent

Reactions: Diprs2
LupintheWolf said:
But yeah what I do for travel is stock up on trest elite diapers since they are extra absorbent
To expensive. I want to try them but I can’t seem to justify the added cost over mega max. To be honest I am afraid of trying them in fear I will love them. Lol. That’s how I ended up in mega max. I remember back in the day I said I would never pay more than 2 bucks a diaper. Lol. Made the mistake of trying mega max and it was how can I not buy them. But I have not found anyplace to buy a case of trest and $45 for ten is just outrageous. Besides I got ab10% discount for life from Northshore plus the 5% auto ship. So I can get 2 cases for about $220. That is like $2.75 per diaper. It makes it hard to justify that they would be worth the extra $1.75 a diaper.

Back