On Telling Someone You Wear/Need/Use Diapers

JustMe

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
After reading a number of posts (y'all sure do post some good stuff!), it dawned on me: what was it like to have to tell someone new that you need/use/wear diapers?

In my most recent occurrence, I shared with a really good neighbor about my incon journey because he went thru a surgery that was supposed to fix him but that ended up leaving him *holding the proverbial bag*.

To be upfront, after all the time that has passed since my first incon encounter, I can freely speak about my issues and what I do to manage them. So I just *told him*. He was thankful to me for sharing and helping him find good alternatives! Wow! What an awesome response!!!

At any rate: what did y'all experience when you told someone about you wearing, needing, or using diapers?

Reactions: Diprs2, DLJosie, AttilaThePun and 3 others
I’ve recently shared with a few close friends, and my mom that I’m incontinent, and have to wear diapers, I have only received positive reactions. no one have been judge mental towards me, nor hinted I was just lacy or other comments.

Reactions: surprise35, Diprs2, AttilaThePun and 2 others
All my family know and are supportive , no one at work knows as it don’t effect how I work
If I didn’t wear I would be stopping the truck a lot to pee

Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun, BigAl2 and 1 other person
I became 24/7, U-IC as a result of a car crash, 45 years ago, while working. The combination of working, car crash, hospital time with surgery, near everyone knew or shortly afterwards did.

Now all those years later, I find that I commonly get calls, texts, emails, and stop-bye's asking for information /help regarding their becoming or a family member. I do as much IC consultant work as I do as part of my profession.

• Wow
Reactions: surprise35, Diprs2, Magicalgirl101 and 7 others
Only my wife knows. It is a huge wait off my shoulders. If son or daughter sees my diapers or plastic pants, I would explain to them. They don't need to know. No one at work or any friends know. Again, I would explain if they found out.

Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun, Wolfman69 and 2 others
Well, I know for 2 years I had in my chart at Doctors office Incontinent! Thursday I had a Doctors Appt. The 1st in a year we talked for some time about me trying to manage my wetting myself and going from Pull-Ups to diapers and plastic pants. With all the tests that had been done while in hospital back in 2020. He thinks prostate and possibly my back issue. I did not go into my Diaper Likes etc. My concern is there is No sickness that can kill. I was quite honest about my need for diapers since leaving the hospital in 2020. I have been in several Incontinent websites and read several Eurilogy Doctors websites and said to him I really did not want to go to Eurlogist that most people were put on that some cases worked or worked to some extent but both had side effects and went back to diapers. Some even had surgery with some success. We talked for a bit about my wetting issues! We will be doing Tests to ensure nothing that would impact my health is lurking in my body. That was one thing that I wanted him to know. So to answer the question the wife and do talk about my diapers and now the Doctor and everyone who reads my Med file will know.I also told my 40-year-old daughter who has been living with us since she was management at 2 stores that filed for bankruptcy and closed with 11/2 years of each other. Hopefully, by spring she will have a place of her own in the spring. Beyond that, I will not be speaking to anyone about my Diaper and Plastic Pants and using them for what they were designed for. By an adult who cannot make it to the potty before wetting himself.

Reactions: Diprs2, AttilaThePun, Edgewater and 2 others
Three longtime friends/past lovers: 1M 2F. Told them how I started wearing for fun, then need and now for occasional need, comfort and fun. I’ve shown one of them my Tie-dyed Megamax and it was arousing for me to let her see. 😏. They, too, have called me with questions “from people they know”. Best kept secret!! Try it! You’ll like it!

Reactions: LordDuque, Diprs2, Babybub and 3 others
I'll paste in some text from my original post in a similar category to this one, which you may find helpful. For context, I'm 32, U-IC for almost 4 years, and wear Northshore MegaMax diapers to manage it.

The first friend I told was my best friend from growing up- we're lucky we still live in the same city. I had been mulling it over for weeks and finally just texted him saying Hey let's meet for breakfast, I want to chat about something important. I didn't even let myself pause before sending- that way I couldn't back out. He was all concerned though, and when we met up 2 days later, I said something to the effect of: "I've been dealing with a medical issue for a little while now that's been affecting my life and I want you to know." He freaked out and thought I had cancer, so I continued and just said I've slowly been losing bladder control, and the doc doesn't don't really know why yet, so you may notice at some point that I'm wearing a diaper because of it, and I just wanted you to be aware so it wasn't a surprise in case you noticed. He had a couple questions like what work was like with diapers, if anyone had ever seen, if I still worked out, etc. But then actually he got a little pissed at me (sorta playfully) for making him worry for 2 days that it was something more serious. He was like "so you're not dying, you're not moving, and you're not even really actually sick... shit dude I don't give a crap what kind of underwear you have on!" So that was a very positive reaction.

The other situation was far less planned. I have a friend from college that was in town for business- we see each other a couple times a year for vacations and when one of us is in the other's city. It was summer, so it was hot, and I usually only wear a t-shirt and shorts, and of course my diaper. We met up at a brewery (he's super into that scene) and he was late, so before he even got there I felt myself wet my diaper once, so you know, the bulge factor was in play. After a couple drinks he got up to use the restroom, and when he came back, he just said "You uh, might want to pull down the back of your shirt- I don't think you want the whole bar seeing that." I went white and (Idk why) just went "What're you talking about?" as I (of course) yanked my shirt down. He said that because he has 2 young kids he knows what a diaper's waistband look like, and wanted to know why I was wearing one. So I just blurted out the basic explanation. He actually had no idea they made adult diapers like that (I was wearing a MegaMax) but suggested I be more careful about letting it show- he's the "unsolicited advice" friend- we've all got one of those I'm sure.

TLDR for the above two paragraphs: I told two friends, one on purpose because I wanted him to know, and one by accident after he found out by seeing my diaper's waistband, and both were supportive.

Since then, I have also told my step-mom (her and I are closer than me and my actual mom, who doesn't know) as I was over at her house for a family gathering. The evening went on later than I had anticipated and I had some unusually heavy voids, which was filling my MegaMax diaper to its capacity, and I did not want to risk a leak. I also didn't want to leave since I was having a good time, and that also would look suspicious. I mulled over my options, since I didn't think I could explain away taking my bag into the bathroom with me, the noises, and the time. My SM headed to the back of the house, and I got up (did a subtle leak check), grabbed my bag and followed. She's very forward, so as soon as I got to the bathroom she came out of her spare room and was like "How come you're taking your bag into the bathroom?" I said something to the effect of (it's waaaay more articulate in my memory now than it probably was Lol) "Well there's something I've been meaning to tell you for a while and I'm sorry it's tonight with everyone over, but if I want to stay for a bit longer, I need to change my . . . diaper." I briefly explained the incontinence issue, how long I'd been dealing with it, etc. and like any good mom, she was very concerned about my health, and also wondered if there was any other way to manage it. I told her maybe, but wearing diapers was how I was dealing with it now. She ended up telling me to use her own bathroom so it would be less conspicuous, which I appreciated. I changed my diaper and put the used one in my bag to dispose of later. When I came out my SM was still there, and she had more questions: "Have you been to a doctor?" "Have you tried holding it?" etc. I could tell she was annoyed that it had to be this evening that she found out. She also asked "Like, what do you mean, 'diaper'? Like one of those Depend things?" I just pulled one of my other MegaMax diapers out of my bag and showed her- she was surprised that it was a full-on diaper.
Anyway, the evening went on and the next day, we had a long phone conversation about it. She actually apologized for sounding judgy, and just hoped I was ok and that my "secret" was safe with her. She asked if anyone else knew I wore diapers, how work was with them, etc. I jokingly said "Well you didn't notice for the last 3 years, so why would anyone else?"
Bottom line, it helps to tell someone, someone you trust. But you don't have to tell anyone- and likely no one will notice.

Reactions: Diprs2, Dinotopian2002, AttilaThePun and 2 others
I always had good experiences. When i told someone.

Reactions: Diprs2, Babybub, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
Until now i only told medical personal about my problem, beside my wife.

Never get any bad comments or something, but it is always a little embarrassing to me, even when i try not to be at all.
I have got more problems myself when telling other men, i do not know why.
I am very close to telling some friends, they already know i do need catheters from time to time, i think it is just a matter of time and i do not expect any bad experiences with it.

Reactions: Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
After my wife, who has been extremely supportive, the next person I told was a female co-worker. I had an upcoming modified TURP surgery scheduled and of course everyone at my department was curious why I was having surgery. She and I had gone to school together and had become pretty close confidants at work. She finally cornered me one day and I just spewed. It was a huge weight off my shoulders to tell someone. She was extremely cool and understanding about it and said she would keep it between us, but would let everyone know that I was OK and not to worry about my surgery. Since I needed an EKG before surgery, my urologist agreed that I could run one on the monitor at the FD to save a trip and bill from the hospital. She was happy to run the 12-lead on me and is the first person other than my wife or medical people to see that I was wearing a diaper, since it stuck up out of my waistband.

As an aside, her daughter also worked there and was the second person I told. They were great with listening to me and offering perspective and support as I dealt with the mental aspects of being IC and wearing a diaper. After that, it became easy to tell anyone who needed to know.

A couple of weeks ago, I made a new friend in my hometown.

We were standing in line at the food bank and we got to talking and instantly, we just hit it off, talking about our many common interests.

And as we got in and got signed in, we continued conversing as we got what we needed.

And when I was getting myself a package of diapers, I told him that I'm a DL and I wear mainly for comfort (which to all my friends in the off-line world is something I've always kept a secret from them for fear of being criticized for it) and he was really cool with it, which I never expected him to be.

Last edited:
NotTheAverageMan said:
I’ve recently shared with a few close friends, and my mom that I’m incontinent, and have to wear diapers, I have only received positive reactions. no one have been judge mental towards me, nor hinted I was just lacy or other comments.
Most people I know are aware of my incontinence and need for nappies. No one seems bothered by it. I had to explain to a friend that I went on holiday with and he said "So what you used to piss your bed all the time when you were younger"

• Wow
  • Thinking
Sadly, or graciously, I have not come across anyone yet, who has had an issue or concern that I have and still do wear diapers. That would be 45 years of interaction in North America and both Western and Eastern Europe. If anything, I have had more individuals that have consulted me regarding their or a family members need.

Telling someone becomes easier after each announcement and with 45 years of such interactions, it just becomes simpler.

Reactions: Diprs2, cantwait, Babybub and 4 others
Ok, one more negative comment I recall way back when: when this person saw the backside of my diaper peeking thru she made the usual inquiry; i made the usual answers. And then she commented (in a voice of disgust), "oh my g-d. why can't you hold your pee". Needless to say, we are no longer in contact.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: Diprs2, diaperkool and AttilaThePun
JustMe said:
Ok, one more negative comment I recall way back when: when this person saw the backside of my diaper peeking thru she made the usual inquiry; i made the usual answers. And then she commented (in a voice of disgust), "oh my g-d. why can't you hold your pee". Needless to say, we are no longer in contact.
The reply I'd make to her is "Oh my g-d, why can't you hold your *tongue*?"
I wouldn't be in contact with her after that, either!

Reactions: Diprs2, OnePiece, diaperkool and 3 others
So, ended up stuck at home due to covid last week, by Thursday I was feeling ok enough to take care of a minor project outside, bend, lifted and turned wrong and the weak spot in my back went out, ended up in E/R Saturday to try to get relief (which I really didn't get). During intake nurse asked about bladder issues, and since I was wearing a Tena pullup with Tena overnight men's pad stuffer, I admitted to urge incontinence and 'dribbles', and explained I was wearing protection... Doc came in after, asked a few morep questions about it, and if the back issue aggravated it, etc., so I know there is a notation in my official med records that I wear now...

Wife knows I have been 'managing' my issues for several years now, and I give here updates on changes in leakage, bed wetting, etc.. so far only a couple of overnight wet issues, and no leaks, so..

Last edited:
Reactions: surprise35, Diprs2, Edgewater and 1 other person
i had a very good friend for almost 5 years. Over time we became closer. We cycled and played tennis almost every weekend (I joined an indoor tennis club). One night when we were at a restaurant with friends. She kept asking me (privately) how I never'd been at a bathroom. Uh oh...whoops. I didn't want to tell her that I was IC. But she kept asking me. Then she asked me if I was wearing a diaper. I finally had to admit that yes, I was incontinent. Surprisingly, she was extremely empathetic. Now she is my partner for almost a year. We do other things too including kayaking and golf. She loves to see me play softball games. Never thought I get a girlfriend like her.

• Love
Reactions: cantwait, cuteingly, Diprs2 and 6 others
IWannawear said:
So, ended up stuck at home due to covid last week, by Thursday I was feeling ok enough to take care of a minor project outside, bend, lifted and turned wrong and the weak spot in my back went out, ended up in E/R Saturday to try to get relief (which I really didn't get). During intake nurse asked about bladder issues, and since I was wearing a Tena pullup with Tena overnight men's pad stuffer, I admitted to urge incontinence and 'dribbles', and explained I was wearing protection... Doc came in after, asked a few morep questions about it, and if the back issue aggravated it, etc., so I know there is a notation in my official med records that I wear now...

Wife knows I have been 'managing' my issues for several years now, and I give here updates on changes in leakage, bed wetting, etc.. so far only a couple of overnight wet issues, and no leaks, so..
Let me guess, they prescribed Tylenol?

• Haha
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
AttilaThePun said:
Let me guess, they prescribed Tylenol?
I've Tylenol and Torodol, when that started wearing off they slapped on a 5% lidocaine patch and sent me home.... back is slowly getting better, have a numb area on thigh and groin that varies from baseball that handprint size (my XL paw hand sized), depending on how active I am...

Have had more leakage at night, only waking once the past few nights to go pee, often already wet when I do. Little bit ago I slipped on a slick spot in the kitchen, twisted and spiked the pain, sat down quickly at my desk, dudnt feel myself going, but felt that warm wet feeling spreading. A few minutes later went to use the bathroom, dribbled a little, and changed a soaked pad...

Pretty sure I've put a pinced nerve or nerves, hoping I can get to the chirp and get things adjusted before it does permeates damage, but, due to covid, they won't see me until Dec 4th (10 days after I tested negative)...

Reactions: Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
Back