Oh, what have I become?

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Bombyx said:
From thread: Protection VS. DL:
I feel like I totally understand your question. I have some incontinence from spinal cysts, but can usually get away without protection and yet it’s so reassuring not to worry about the remote chance of a leak that my overall anxiety is less.
Some of us (like yourself) have to resort to "accident prevention" with diapers/pull-ups. In the day time I use the toilet like I've always done. But there have been a few times, like when the bathroom is occupied. Because of my U-IC, I can't hold it. So I continue to use a pull-up in the day time for accident prevention. Last weekend I had an accident with diarrhea (at home). I was real glad that I was wearing at least a pull-up at the time to contain that mess. It doesn't happen often but it is oh so critical when you need it. Accident prevention is a perfectly valid use.

I sometimes pee in my sleep, but most of the time not. So I wear a diaper at night since neither my wife or myself like the idea of peeing the bed, at any time. Often or not. But having said that, in the middle of the night, if I need to go, I do have the option to get up, untape and use the toilet. But because I will discard the diaper in the morning and I've paid for this diaper (dadgum it), I'll choose to use it and go back to sleep. Does that make me a DL? I do love the fact that I get a better night's sleep by using the diaper.

By the end of this year, it will be two years for my IC. I have fought against this diaper thing mentally for much of it. I still feel somewhat embarrassed about it and wish the it would go away. But it seems that it is worsening (along with other health issues) and now sometimes it includes F-IC. There is no cure for nerve damage, so this is for life.

I am beginning at last to accept of the fact that I need to fully diaper up when I go out for any length of time because F-IC is so unpredictable. Over time, I'm getting more comfortable "living" in public in a diaper and worrying less about being discovered. I was at a sporting event twice this last long weekend in my Northshore Supreme Lite (plain white) diaper. It is so nice not having to worry about accidents. It's nice not having to work my way through the grandstands to use a disgusting washroom situation (or stand in line for it). And I don't need to worry about saving my seat etc.

Given that I have to work with what I got, I am beginning to like my diapers. I guess that makes me a Diaper Liker. :eek: What have I become?!?!

Reactions: Diprs2, Pino, Napincolove and 1 other person
No, I don't think so, and for the same reason I said in the other thread to the other individual. Convenience and security from a physical need that developed later in life isn't what I'd consider a DL. My opinion is, being a DL is satisfying a mental obsession to wear diapers likely with no physical need.

I can explain my situation more if you think that'd help.

Reactions: Diprs2, AUG168 and HappyCamper
Comfortable. You have become comfortable. I think ABness, or DLness comes down to, "Without my IC, if they went away, is something missing?"

Reactions: Diprs2 and charliee
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Comfortable. You have become comfortable.
I think that is a good way to put it - "I have become comfortably numb, to diapers". There was a time when I didn't want to be caught dead holding one, let alone wearing one, LOL.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Pino
slimjiminy said:
I think that is a good way to put it - "I have become comfortably numb, to diapers". There was a time when I didn't want to be caught dead holding one, let alone wearing one, LOL.

I am thinking absolutely the same - and i am acting absolutely the same. ;)

Reactions: Diprs2 and slimjiminy
It all started for me mainly because of my spinal arthritis getting worse and it hurting to get upstairs to use the loo on a far more frequent basis, I drink a lot of water because of the meds and stuff that I take to ease my pain. I found myself not making it in time and also noticing that I couldn't tell when I had finished peeing, and got up quite a few time to find myself peeing on my clothes!

So, I invested in a pack of Tena Ultima last August and after a few months realised that life was easier and less painful.
However, I now pee very regularly and throughout the day will just leak as soon as my bladder seems to have enough in to leak a few capfuls or so!
So, from that I think that I'm actually now almost fully bladder incontinent! I'm 24/7 and have accepted that now....

Reactions: Diprs2, kayakbaby, charliee and 1 other person
Back