Need help with getting rid of nasty taste off of pacifier

Littleone91

Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I just bought brand new pacifiers from Amazon and I washed them and hot water and soap for 30 minutes I took them out rinse them off really well but for some reason my pacifiers tastes horrible. I soak them in mouthwash for over half an hour and they still tastes horrible what do I do? How do I get rid of a nasty taste?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210803-203937.png
    Screenshot_20210803-203937.png
    297.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Wow
Reactions: KrankyPants
DanielW said:
Are they silicone or latex? Neither should have a bad flavor, but all that soap and mouthwash isn't going to help. Best to return them. If you want to sterilize a pacifier, you should do it properly.
This is my first time buying a pacifier online. I usually just buy children ones at Walmart. They are silicone pacifiers.

DanielW said:
Silicone should not have a taste or odor at all even if they haven't been washed thoroughly. It may be a bad batch made with industrial silicone which could have a chemical taste odor like the smell of gas or oil.

What did yours taste or smell like before the whole soap and mouthwash thing?

they should be just like the children's versions you are used too - no flavor
It did not have a smell to them I did not put one in my mouth before I washed it I was told I should wash them before I put one in my mouth.

DanielW said:
If they didn't have a strong smell, BEFORE, they are probably just tasting like soap and mouthwash now then. I'd suggest NOT using soap or mouthwash Plain, hot water, not boiling. Let them air-dry over night and see if it helps. If not, try a bit of baking soda and water if you have any in the cupboard (don't use it from the fridge, it will taste bad) and rinse with hot water.

If you want to clean new pacifiers in the future, I'd suggest you remove the nipples and steam sterilize them the first time, and then rinse under hot water as needed.
What if I don't have a steam sterilizer?

Boil it for 3-4 minutes.. that's always been the standard for cleaning a pacifier, as well as bottle nipples. Use a pot and water on the stove, not the microwave.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KrankyPants and nwm
Just keep in mind that some adult pacifiers can't be boiled. Make sure to follow any directions that came with it or the info on the listing.

My pacifiers do pick up a little bit of the taste of the soap that I use, but eventually it goes away. I use plain dish soap though, no additives like lotion, etc.

Last edited:
@tobid03 is correct: follow the directions provided by your binkys manufacturer. I have never had a bad tasting binky.

I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of adult binkys. I use a Nuk 5 and Toddler MAMs with little 4 big silicone tests. What I did was bring some water to a light boil and place my binky in a metal strainer so it didn't touch the bottom of the pot and boil it for about 4 minutes.

If you can't boil them or don't know if they can be boiled or steamed safely, you could try using hand sanitizer to clean them.

I've used hand sanitizer (70% alcohol) as the first step to clean mine, and then I wash it in warm, soapy water before rinsing in cold water, and it seems to work fine.

If there is still a taste after that, then either bin them or return them and get a refund.

By the way, adults don't need their pacifiers to be sterilized. That’s for babies. :p They just need to be clean. I wash mines just like you would do the dishes with dish soap. I’ve used plain hand soap in the past too.

I want to thank everyone for there help. I got the nasty taste out. I soaked it in water and baking soda for 1 hour then rinsed it off and then I soaked them in mouthwash for an hour and a half then rinsed them and now they taste like mint and smell like it to. Im a happy baby thank you everyone.😊😊😊😊

Reactions: WillFord384 and db80
Littleone91 said:
I want to thank everyone for there help. I got the nasty taste out. I soaked it in water and baking soda for 1 hour then rinsed it off and then I soaked them in mouthwash for an hour and a half then rinsed them and now they taste like mint and smell like it to. Im a happy baby thank you everyone.😊😊😊😊
What size binki did u get? I bet it was pink wasn't it?

Back