Nappies or Diapers?

• Nappies

Votes: 83 83.0%
  • Diapers

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
When I joined this community I used diapers (it is ABDL after all), but slowly I've seen nappy/nappies popping up and have reverted to what I would have said originally. I did wonder if diaper was more applicable for the adult market, but no it's just American (& probably the rest of the English speaking world and American babies are put in diapers, so there's no age element to it) - the first person I told on the internet I'd got into wearing diapers eventually replied "you mean a nappy?" and ever since asked me "are you wearing your nappy?" whenever I spoke to her. And yes, her calling it a nappy added a little bit extra for me, so now I call them nappies all the time and still feel that little tingle every time I use it.

I really should change my profile name to Nappiesntights (I'm very much tights, not pantyhose!), but I've stuck with the contradiction of cultures I joined as.

It is kind of country specific.
In the UK and Ireland a vacuum cleaner is known as a "Hoover". As in: "Go hoover the lounge". In Germany you wouldn't say "Go Miele the bedroom". So, it seems the Americans are on their own with that one.

Lethdale said:
I would never ask for 'the toilets'...bad show...always 'the loo' or 'little boys' room'...maybe 'the gents' but toilets? No.
I have used some of those terms but they are all just ways we have created slang terms for the toilets. When I'm out and about I see signs for "toilets" in the UK. In the states it is "Restrooms" which if I was living in isolation and knew nothing about America would make me think of some sort of private sleeping parlour to go and rest.

The proper term is 'lavatories' but this rarely used now and is seen as archaic.
In polite society, 'toilets' is a no-no. 'Loo' is preferable.

Reactions: Nappywetter
WoollyAndJoshy said:
I have used some of those terms but they are all just ways we have created slang terms for the toilets. When I'm out and about I see signs for "toilets" in the UK. In the states it is "Restrooms" which if I was living in isolation and knew nothing about America would make me think of some sort of private sleeping parlour to go and rest.
'Restrooms' always conjours up some image of a Japanese overnight pod effort in my mind.

Reactions: WoollyAndJoshy
Lethdale said:
The proper term is 'lavatories' but this rarely used now and is seen as archaic.
In polite society, 'toilets' is a no-no. 'Loo' is preferable.
Not quite… lavatories which has also been shortened to “lavs” is still slang albeit archaic. Water Closet was the previously used term which like lavatories is now very old English. I’m not going to agree that toilets is not polite when most places have it written on signposts! They certainly don’t put “little boys room”!

Toilets is the correct word, the other terms you mentioned are all slang terms that some people use instead of just using the word toilets. I guess I now also know the reason why some people won’t just say toilets. I have previously worked in places where people ask frequently where the toilets are. Trust me 85-90% of people will ask for the toilets. A few people do use the euphemisms you are speaking about. However, you are gravely mistaken if you believe most people won’t ask where the “toilets” are.

You are quite correct in stating that 'toilets' is the term used on signage.
And you are quite correct that the term loo is slang.
Where we differ is the inference that 'toilets' is the correct and proper term...
Most, or many people may well use the term 'toilets' but then they may also fill their faces at McDonalds, believe a sitting room is 'the lounge' or ask for the 'sweet' menu...
Subtle messages are always conveyed by the words we use.

Take, for example, the word 'iconic'.
There was a time when this word was limited to undergraduate Art history classes.
Now we have the media (perhaps because of Art History graduates), and by default, much of social media using it for for anything from curling tongues to shades of wallpaper.
It is also used to describe things that cannot possibly be 'iconic'....like buildings yet to be built and sounds such as in "the iconic sound of the Beatles'.
Quite standardised, nevertheless... off.

like the style and texture of your plastic or rubber pants. Brand please..i need new ones.

Diapersntights said:
When I joined this community I used diapers (it is ABDL after all), but slowly I've seen nappy/nappies popping up and have reverted to what I would have said originally. I did wonder if diaper was more applicable for the adult market, but no it's just American (& probably the rest of the English speaking world and American babies are put in diapers, so there's no age element to it) - the first person I told on the internet I'd got into wearing diapers eventually replied "you mean a nappy?" and ever since asked me "are you wearing your nappy?" whenever I spoke to her. And yes, her calling it a nappy added a little bit extra for me, so now I call them nappies all the time and still feel that little tingle every time I use it.

I really should change my profile name to Nappiesntights (I'm very much tights, not pantyhose!), but I've stuck with the contradiction of cultures I joined as.
You should definitely change your name 🙏🙏

Reactions: Diapersntights
Lethdale said:
You are quite correct in stating that 'toilets' is the term used on signage.
And you are quite correct that the term loo is slang.
Where we differ is the inference that 'toilets' is the correct and proper term...
Most, or many people may well use the term 'toilets' but then they may also fill their faces at McDonalds, believe a sitting room is 'the lounge' or ask for the 'sweet' menu...
Subtle messages are always conveyed by the words we use.
Now I think you are creating stereotypes. Most people say toilets and most people don’t automatically go to McDonald’s! Sitting room is old fashioned (that’s the conveyed message there!), personally I go with living room. Sweet menu seems like an Americanism, dessert menu is the coined phrase you’d normally see on said menu. Anyway, I don’t think we are going to agree and I don’t believe 90% of people would use certain words if it wasn’t the correct use of the English language in the UK.

Sitting room...living room...interchangable, but lounges are for airports.
Sweet...dessert...the word you're looking for is pudding.
90%? You made it up.
What I'm trying to convey is that it is a slippery slope telling our American cousins that 'the proper term is'...
You said it yourself..."I don't think we are going to agree".
And we're just two British individuals who can't agree.
There's a huge difference between 'proper' and commonly used.
You've get me onto "Pardon" and "what" next...and please don't mention the ubiquitous Americanism...."can I get?".
🤣🙏

Reactions: Chrissie
WoollyAndJoshy said:
Not quite… lavatories which has also been shortened to “lavs” is still slang albeit archaic. Water Closet was the previously used term which like lavatories is now very old English. I’m not going to agree that toilets is not polite when most places have it written on signposts! They certainly don’t put “little boys room”!

Toilets is the correct word, the other terms you mentioned are all slang terms that some people use instead of just using the word toilets. I guess I now also know the reason why some people won’t just say toilets. I have previously worked in places where people ask frequently where the toilets are. Trust me 85-90% of people will ask for the toilets. A few people do use the euphemisms you are speaking about. However, you are gravely mistaken if you believe most people won’t ask where the “toilets” are.

I agree that 'toilets' is not in any way inappropriate. Not in the UK.

Maybe it is in the USA - they say restrooms, bathrooms. To be that seems silly because people aren't going there to take a bath or rest. They are going to wee, poo, or use feminine products. We're all adults, no need to be embarrassed about it.

Interestingly enough it's the same in some other countries. I live in Spain now and everyone says 'bathroom' rather than toilet.

But of course, it all depends on the part of your country you live in, as well as family and social backgrounds. Different things are acceptable to different people.

Reactions: Lethdale
Exactly so.
One man's bap is another man's barm...🤣

Lethdale said:
Sitting room...living room...interchangable, but lounges are for airports.
Sweet...dessert...the word you're looking for is pudding.
90%? You made it up.
What I'm trying to convey is that it is a slippery slope telling our American cousins that 'the proper term is'...
You said it yourself..."I don't think we are going to agree".
And we're just two British individuals who can't agree.
There's a huge difference between 'proper' and commonly used.
You've get me onto "Pardon" and "what" next...and please don't mention the ubiquitous Americanism...."can I get?".
🤣🙏
Languages change and move on through various influences too though…

The 90% figure is based on some work I did stood in public constantly being asked for directions to the very place we’ve been discussing. Sure, don’t believe me if you wish, but most people in the vast majority ask where the toilets are. Some people do use euphemisms. For most people, they are the toilets and it really isn’t the dirty word you seem to think it is!

You might now like it, however pudding is also becoming more informal. Restaurants are using dessert much more these days. Dessert is quite British still though. When I went to America it was referred to as the sweet menu.

One huge influence now though is much of social media content has Americans on them reviewing and talking about American culture and products. All the Gen Z of today are so attached to their social media they are picking up a bigger American influence than ever before. It is also leading to all the American candy shops popping up. The world is changing and whilst I’m not ready to drop everything to join in I do think it’s important to ensure I can be understood and not sound like I was born in the 60’s, using words some people won’t even understand.

DloverUK said:
Interestingly enough it's the same in some other countries. I live in Spain now and everyone says 'bathroom' rather than toilet.
This is because of the influence of America. English is being taught internationally and more and more people are picking up the American ‘version’ of English. This is especially true in countries such as China where they haven’t previously had any British influence over the English words they are taught.

I don't disagree with much you say. Language does change... and not always for the better.
But let's remember it was YOU that started off with the "correct" instruction for our American friends. 😉

Always nappy for me.
Oh, and I’m a bit common too, so what some call pudding is always “afters” to me.
😄

Reactions: Lethdale
Chrissie said:
Always nappy for me.
Oh, and I’m a bit common too, so what some call pudding is always “afters” to me.
😄
Now see, I don't have a problem with 'afters'. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Chrissie
Lethdale said:
I don't disagree with much you say. Language does change... and not always for the better.
But let's remember it was YOU that started off with the "correct" instruction for our American friends. 😉
And for what is said in the UK, it is correct for the majority of the population.

Last edited:
Back