Meltdowns

PrincessPlaypen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I've been having meltdowns lately and I'm curious what they look like for everyone else who has a "baby" side? And how you cope with them when you're alone and feeling little?

Not to be confused with a trantrum which has a purpose or motivation, a meltdown is usually the result of uncontrollable emotions or sensory overload.

Personally, I get overwhelmed with grief and depression, and I just start bawling my eyes out like a toddler. I'll usually chew on my fingers and even hiccup for a long time after the meltdown until the wave of emotion subsides.

• Sad
Reactions: ShyGirl91, RaawrrrPincess, Prillprillprill and 5 others
I have bpd so I do have “bpd meltdowns” and they always make me feel little, I tend to use a soft blanket just to try regulate emotions so I will stroke it on my face regular strokes and slowly, if I can’t use my dummy ( being adult and others round etc) I’ll just either my thumb if it’s appropriate or the tip of a finger just to get that soothing sensation. Also if I can ill lie down, I don’t no why it helps but I can curl up and it does help

Reactions: Prillprillprill, Kbaby84, KBoy and 2 others
I used to have these meltdowns when I was feeling lonely and PTSD and all that. I would suck my pacifier and hug a bunch of dolls and just keep crying until it passed. I never had these meltdowns around other people. I'm really good at keeping it together until I'm in private. I'd also hide under a blanket because I wanted to not be seen by anyone, even though I was totally alone. A few times I got so freaked out that I actually hid in the closet and just cried and sucked my pacifier. I'm really agoraphobic and sometimes people scare the crap out of me, but I've gotten a lot better. It's still a struggle. I don't have those meltdowns anymore though. Managed to get that under control at least

Reactions: Prillprillprill, BBBen and PrincessPlaypen
PinkyJujubean said:
I used to have these meltdowns when I was feeling lonely and PTSD and all that. I would suck my pacifier and hug a bunch of dolls and just keep crying until it passed. I never had these meltdowns around other people. I'm really good at keeping it together until I'm in private. I'd also hide under a blanket because I wanted to not be seen by anyone, even though I was totally alone. A few times I got so freaked out that I actually hid in the closet and just cried and sucked my pacifier. I'm really agoraphobic and sometimes people scare the crap out of me, but I've gotten a lot better. It's still a struggle. I don't have those meltdowns anymore though. Managed to get that under control at least
We sound very similar

• Love
Reactions: BBBen and PinkyJujubean
overwhelmed with grief and depression for sure at the end of next month my wife will have been passed away for 2 years

• Sad
Reactions: dous, BBBen, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
I had one a couple of days ago over the death of my wife. I was listening to some amazing but sad music and that kicked it off.

• Sad
Reactions: dous, Serendiapity, BBBen and 1 other person
I do have meltdowns semi-frequently in my own home though rarely around other people and certainly not in public anymore, I tend to shut down/dissociate more than anything though because of my post traumatic stress :/

claire123 said:
I have bpd so I do have “bpd meltdowns” and they always make me feel little, I tend to use a soft blanket just to try regulate emotions so I will stroke it on my face regular strokes and slowly, if I can’t use my dummy ( being adult and others round etc) I’ll just either my thumb if it’s appropriate or the tip of a finger just to get that soothing sensation. Also if I can ill lie down, I don’t no why it helps but I can curl up and it does help

Also heyo other bpd person! ^^

Reactions: Prillprillprill and BBBen
vivikitti said:
I do have meltdowns semi-frequently in my own home though rarely around other people and certainly not in public anymore, I tend to shut down/dissociate more than anything though because of my post traumatic stress :/

Heyyyyyy 👋🏻

Reactions: vivikitti and BBBen
I had a meltdown at work tueday about a few new changes happening within the Company as well other coworkers not respecting my work area I haven't yet been diagnosed with a disorder but I get vary Overwhelmed when things are out of place and not the way I like it( I'm vary organized person) so I get super anxious to get home so I can padded with pajamas and relax and be little

Anyone else have the same when things are out of place and out of your control???

I get meltdowns from depression and trauma and just end up dissociating a lot

PinkyJujubean said:
I completely understand everything you just said. I'm so sorry you go through that. Life is cruel. People are evil. I tend to stay inside for days on end as well, but that doesn't help or make things any better because of the people that I'm neighbors with. Why can't the cruel people just go away?

Reactions: BBBen and LiddieBear
ryan8710 said:
I had a meltdown at work tueday about a few new changes happening within the Company as well other coworkers not respecting my work area I haven't yet been diagnosed with a disorder but I get vary Overwhelmed when things are out of place and not the way I like it( I'm vary organized person) so I get super anxious to get home so I can padded with pajamas and relax and be little

Anyone else have the same when things are out of place and out of your control???
Sounds a lot like me that

vivikitti said:

I do the same thing. I shut down but remain just operational enough to function. It's usually brought on by either stress or things that trigger horrific memories. My sister said she can tell when I'm feeling mental because I hardly talk, I don't look at anyone and my voice is much quieter than normal. I'm normally very upbeat and animated so it's like a polar opposite.

• Love
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, vivikitti and ryan8710
I'm the Exact same I also try to hide and play on my phone and play video games to be alone but my loving wife/ mommy she know if I'm like that she will will put me in a diaper and comfortable pajamas and bring me a bottle and it will cool me down and relax me

• Love
Reactions: DiaperedG
I would recommend considering behavioral health treatment for "meltdowns" or emotional/behavioral dysregulation.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
I have meltdowns, and they are Autism disability related.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
PinkyJujubean said:
I do the same thing. I shut down but remain just operational enough to function. It's usually brought on by either stress or things that trigger horrific memories. My sister said she can tell when I'm feeling mental because I hardly talk, I don't look at anyone and my voice is much quieter than normal. I'm normally very upbeat and animated so it's like a polar opposite.

empathetic ppl usually pick up on when im dissociating because i get a really faraway haunted look and just sort of tremble quietly :/ if it gets worse ill just sit down and tuck my knees to my chest and bury my face in them and go completely stiff :c i know ppl joke about the whole thousand yard stare thing but is really rly real

Reactions: PinkyJujubean
vivikitti said:
empathetic ppl usually pick up on when im dissociating because i get a really faraway haunted look and just sort of tremble quietly :/ if it gets worse ill just sit down and tuck my knees to my chest and bury my face in them and go completely stiff :c i know ppl joke about the whole thousand yard stare thing but is really rly real
I get that look sometimes. I try to hide it and I think I do fairly well because it never keeps me from functioning. If someone asks I just say I'm tired or something dismissive like that. But if I'm alone for a minute I'll cry for a second or something. Then just go back to what I was doing like it never happened. I've gotten a lot better though. I had some issues in my life that needed to be straightened out so now I'm a lot better. It's still a struggle but it's not like what it used to be.

Last edited:
I sometimes have a meltdown, which can suddenly strike out of the blue. My mother took her own life when I was a young boy. I remember being told by teachers and a social worker "Not to bottle things up ".
So I see these "meltdowns" akin to releasing a pressure valve. Keeping things in only makes matters worse. There is no shame in crying - it proves that you are HUMAN.

• Sad
Reactions: ShyGirl91, Seasonedcitizen and Prillprillprill
my baby girl had one last night and was very crabby and crying, i kept reassuring her everything was ok and i loved her, all of a sudden she turned around and crawled in my lap , curled in a ball and just bawled , as i held her kissing her forehead, and just kept patting her bottom and holding her tight! She said no one had ever done that before that she could remember, all of of sudden she was good and sat up and asked me to feed her SpaghettiO'sn and she was good, Her mom died of cancer and now her step mother has cancer and I think asking her how she was just triggered the grief!!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen and dous
Back