Megmax not wicking to the back very well?

KechoDrips

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've been using megamax for a bit now and I really like them and for the most part, they do their job really well. The main issue that I keep noticing is that they don't wick to the back of the diaper very well. When I wake up in the morning, the front and middle are swollen but if I have wet more than that, it tends to leak out of the legs rather than transferring to the back (I am a back sleeper). Does anyone else have this same issue?

• Wow
Reactions: Angelapinks, Edgewater, PaddedRita and 3 others
I notice the same thing, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, I prefer that wicking doesn't reach the back of the diaper too quickly. In the past, with other diapers ,I had too many 'over the top of the back of the diaper' leaks. With MegaMax I don't have that problem.

The diaper does get heavy in the crotch well before it's at full capacity, though.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and bdale
KechoDrips said:
I've been using megamax for a bit now and I really like them and for the most part, they do their job really well. The main issue that I keep noticing is that they don't wick to the back of the diaper very well. When I wake up in the morning, the front and middle are swollen but if I have wet more than that, it tends to leak out of the legs rather than transferring to the back (I am a back sleeper). Does anyone else have this same issue?
Same thing happens to me with megamax. It’s their only flaw.

Reactions: Neroforte, Edgewater and Diprs2
I had that happen too!, especially when the crotch would be saturated it would leak out the side leg gathers.🙁

Reactions: LifeGoesOn223, Neroforte, Edgewater and 1 other person
The only thing that helped some is by taping the top tapes first and before securing the bottom tapes… I push the diaper in tight back there and then pull it forward as I fasten the bottom tape for that side. It drastically reduced the leaking in Megamax but still not 100%

(It just kind of tightens the seal back there so to speak)

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
Yes this is how they work, if you have some inserts, that do distribute it a bit better, however if the insert transfer to the back first instead of also the middle/front area they also will leak to soon, since the capacity is not there.

Reactions: greatdane, Edgewater and Diprs2
I’ve worn megamax since they came out, same complaint, they never wicked to the back causing excess bulging in the front and between the legs. As suggested above I’ve used a very thin doubler not to create any additional unnecessary thickness but to help transfer to back.

Reactions: NorthwestDiaperDude, Edgewater, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Same here. It's kind of how disposable diapers work, even a magamax which is my go to disposable diapers when not in cloth.

Bring a woman I do get a little more wicking to the back of the diaper, but never as much as I'd like.

I've tried cloth diaper inserts at times and that help get a little more even wicking throughout the diaper.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, PaddedRita, Diprs2 and 2 others
They have to be very very soggy wet for them to do that for me !!

Reactions: Jorelaxed and Edgewater
Disposable diapers need to be prepared properly to channel liquid!

- Assure that you are opening your diaper and laying it flat and then fold one side over the top of the other along their length so that the backer is the outside!
- Then use compression allong that fold to set a "U" shape into your diaper!
- Prior to placing it on assure that you stretch your diaper lengthwise to assure that the side guards fully stand.
- Place your diaper on.
- Now assure that the "U" shape is in place by pushing down along the bottom. Until you build some heat into the gusset you may have to do this a couple of times.
- Wide gusset, high volume diapers like MEGAMAX require this additional step to better assure movement of moisture.
- With Males, one needs to position one's bits to target the area you want to moisture to travel too.
- With Females, one needs to assure that your diaper does not form a "W" channel and especial if you are seating when a release occurs.
- If you have control over your stream, it is very important to attempt to control the rate as Adults can easily exceed the flow rate transfer of the diaper.

Hope that this helps!

Reactions: evie, JolandaH, eastcoastdl and 3 others
In my experience wicking is a weak point for all disposables. I’ve never worn one that wicked throughout the back. Conversely, I’ve never had a cloth (fabric) diaper that didn’t.

• Love
Reactions: evie and Edgewater
@Edgewater
My husband is an engineer and is very meticulous with regards to providing written or verbal instruction. You remind me of him in so many of your posts!

Reactions: PaddedRita and Edgewater
Ellyn said:
@Edgewater
My husband is an engineer and is very meticulous with regards to providing written or verbal instruction. You remind me of him in so many of your posts!
It is an illness that near all Engineers suffer!:cool:
Mechanical Engineer by education and profession!

Reactions: PaddedRita and Ellyn
Edgewater said:
It is an illness that near all Engineers suffer!:cool:
Mechanical Engineer by education and profession!
I thought I recognized the engineer in you! My husband is a ME (and PE) as well from Texas A&M, where we both attended college 20+ years ago.

KechoDrips said:
I have been wearing Forsite AM/PM diapers at night and most times the wick pretty well. I usually wear a pair of Kins Pull On flannel diapers over them just in case but recently in hot weather I tried just the diaper and rubber or plastic pants. Last night it was the diaper and just Kins plastic pants and I woke a bit later than usual totally soaked and leaking into the plastic pants. I discovered that the diaper had wicked very well throughout the whole diaper and right up the back but the bulge in front was so big I think it leaked there. Not had that happen in a long while.

my general observation is all high capacity diapers do this. The ones that seem to wick the best are abena and molicare. the Seni Quatro too, but these are cloth backed. But if you are bedridden, it is a plus to keep the bottom dry as that minimizes bed sores I believe.

Reactions: Edgewater and Angelapinks
Edgewater said:
Disposable diapers need to be prepared properly to channel liquid!

- Assure that you are opening your diaper and laying it flat and then fold one side over the top of the other along their length so that the backer is the outside!
- Then use compression allong that fold to set a "U" shape into your diaper!
- Prior to placing it on assure that you stretch your diaper lengthwise to assure that the side guards fully stand.
- Place your diaper on.
- Now assure that the "U" shape is in place by pushing down along the bottom. Until you build some heat into the gusset you may have to do this a couple of times.
- Wide gusset, high volume diapers like MEGAMAX require this additional step to better assure movement of moisture.
- With Males, one needs to position one's bits to target the area you want to moisture to travel too.
- With Females, one needs to assure that your diaper does not form a "W" channel and especial if you are seating when a release occurs.
- If you have control over your stream, it is very important to attempt to control the rate as Adults can easily exceed the flow rate transfer of the diaper.

Hope that this helps!
I'll def try that and see how much it helps!

Mechanical Engineer too so I always appreciate clear direction :D

Reactions: Edgewater
Back