Medicaid diaper woes, anyone can relate?

SuLiWan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I have been incontinent for the large majority of my adult life, and the most I ever got dry for the longest stretch was between 2010 and 2014. No accidents, no driblbes on my undewwear. and then I started wetting again in 2014. When I dealt with incontience in 2008 and 2009, I was fortunate enough to figure out how to get Medicaid to pay for my diapers with a doctor's script. I first started using Wings supreme, but then decided to use Tena ultra. When I needed protection in 2014, I had to use Attends breathable. which was fine.. until they changed it to Attends Derma dry. Narrow crotch, akward tab placement.. NOT comfortable. I requested samples of other mediciaid provided products, and they were not acceptable. That was when I started using pocket cloth pretty much all the time.

Can anyone relate? You get free diapers from medicaid, but they are not very absorbent or are adequately absorbetn but of poor construction?

Reactions: furry121
If you hunt around you can do better I am on Medicaid and they provide me with 156 tranquility ATN tabbed briefs and 156 tranquility super top liner booster's a box of gloves and several bags of chux but I had to really work for it I called so many med supply stores .....

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
I get Tranquility essentials diapers through Medicaid and have been really happy with the way they perform. Good absorbency and the padding doesn't bunch up when wearing for long periods of time. I can wet them several times before needing a change and they work well for night time protection. Best thing is no leaking around the legs when there's a unexpected bladder emptying accident.

I heard NorthShore accepts medicad. You send medicade a copy of your northshore receipt and you should get a reimbursement. Plus you have better products YOU can CHOOSE.

Last edited:
  • Love
My luck has been nothing but a hassle with the diapers and the DMEs. My medicaid is wonderful and gave me a list of places to call. Call the list of places only to find out they all have low absorbent diapers and they are very uncomfortable. 😔

• Love
Reactions: PaddedRita
I should clarify.. I now recieve Tena Ultra from medicaid, and I am really happy with them. I live in Michigan, and they contract with J and B medical.

SuLiWan said:
I have been incontinent for the large majority of my adult life, and the most I ever got dry for the longest stretch was between 2010 and 2014. No accidents, no driblbes on my undewwear. and then I started wetting again in 2014. When I dealt with incontience in 2008 and 2009, I was fortunate enough to figure out how to get Medicaid to pay for my diapers with a doctor's script. I first started using Wings supreme, but then decided to use Tena ultra. When I needed protection in 2014, I had to use Attends breathable. which was fine.. until they changed it to Attends Derma dry. Narrow crotch, akward tab placement.. NOT comfortable. I requested samples of other mediciaid provided products, and they were not acceptable. That was when I started using pocket cloth pretty much all the time.

Can anyone relate? You get free diapers from medicaid, but they are not very absorbent or are adequately absorbetn but of poor construction?
I'm using the Tranquility brand, and they (Medicaid) recently sent the additional booster inserts. They have sent both the SmartCore and ATNs, but the SmartCore ones are mostly preferable, but are more probably for day time because the ATN ones have a sort of plastic backing which means the tapes cannot be repositions really. For those, it's basically impossible to tape them comfortable because off the plastic having to be a barrier. The SmartCore ones are better because during the day, they are not plastic so it is more breathable. For the inserts, to make them softer, probably cover it in powder/body oil before taping it into the diaper, but no it is never that comfortable all the time having to be IC.

As for Medicaid every state is different some have programs in place where you can request better products and some it's you get what you get as I have said in other posts though technically their free to you their paid for out of taxes or nothing from the state/govt is really free usually get/made by lowest bidder!! Because of need and costs most go with most affordable options and alot of states have gone from local medical supply stores to bigger companies or national ones. Tranquility does offer on their website like you can call and they can tell you if their products are offered in your state and they might be their value line but they do offer help. I do know a state I previously lived in their model was max price per diaper so like for a medium size it would be max $0.55 per diaper no other options but the next state over had various tiers and ability to request or put in for a review like you could appeal their decision if wasn't guaranteed. But from some special needs boards have seen alot of states going to fixed offerings and there was alot of mad parents because say alot were getting Tranquility then switched to wings or other cheap ones. Which I wonder if they go with a certain company or brand they get a better deal or what their paying for say 15 pallets is going to be cheaper than what you pay for a case or state pricing is different than if you bought them.

Also know when it comes to incontinence products most aren't made to be worn for long periods of time. It's like if your ever in a hospital, rehab, elderly storage facility most have a schedule where people checked or changed every 2-4hrs and almost viewed like how diapers are used for babies most use minimum 6-8 diapers per day and if I remember correctly the script I had like 9 yrs ago it was change brief every 3hrs. So your not getting top quality products also not saying anyone is begging but there used to be a saying a begger can't be choosey and I get the need.

I do know and it was like 9yrs ago what my state offered Tena was one but think they were Classic version also there is metric crap ton of different diapers from some brands like Tena and Attends both have lines that weren't readily available to consumer market. But like at one time Attends had multiple different diapers that qualified for Medicaid like derma-dry and a moderate absorbency breathable as well as a poly backed cheap one. I have heard of super rare cases where some people have got some higher quality ones but honestly super rare cases though I haven't been active where I have a disability I used to follow blogs for disability and have heard or read stories of parents with special needs kids that have tried many things to get better products but there are times where some states back than didn't offer pullups and only diapers many now offer them. It would be good if there was like a list of what each state offered or how their programs were and like other health issues that are decided on the state level a person can choose to live where they do. Like I live where I do because veteran benefits are good politics are good and 2A isn't infringed on.

Finny said:
I'm using the Tranquility brand, and they (Medicaid) recently sent the additional booster inserts. They have sent both the SmartCore and ATNs, but the SmartCore ones are mostly preferable, but are more probably for day time because the ATN ones have a sort of plastic backing which means the tapes cannot be repositions really. For those, it's basically impossible to tape them comfortable because off the plastic having to be a barrier. The SmartCore ones are better because during the day, they are not plastic so it is more breathable. For the inserts, to make them softer, probably cover it in powder/body oil before taping it into the diaper, but no it is never that comfortable all the time having to be IC.
Figured I would let you know if you didn't know the ATN & Smartcore are basically the same product. I had a conversation with Tranquility couple years ago they had alot of people that were happy with the ATN but wanted breathable option like the they are the same absorbency and features, it's like Slimline now comes in breathable and plastic backed, they did have an amazing brief called the Elitecare it large was like 48oz Capacity but alot of customers couldn't afford them and they noticed though they sold their other lines were doing better and they discontinued it last year(still on their site but rare to find them). Their value line Essentials Heavy Absorb is rebranded they used to be called Select and the lowest used to be ComfortCare but now Essential Moderate Absorb

Racingmatt550 said:
I heard NorthShore accepts medicad. You send medicade a copy of your northshore receipt and you should get a reimbursement. Plus you have better products YOU can CHOOSE.
Would Medicaid reimburse you for plastic pants?

SuLiWan said:

Yes i want better insurance and maybe an hsa

ParaRomeo said:
Figured I would let you know if you didn't know the ATN & Smartcore are basically the same product. I had a conversation with Tranquility couple years ago they had alot of people that were happy with the ATN but wanted breathable option like the they are the same absorbency and features, it's like Slimline now comes in breathable and plastic backed, they did have an amazing brief called the Elitecare it large was like 48oz Capacity but alot of customers couldn't afford them and they noticed though they sold their other lines were doing better and they discontinued it last year(still on their site but rare to find them). Their value line Essentials Heavy Absorb is rebranded they used to be called Select and the lowest used to be ComfortCare but now Essential Moderate Absorb
I did not know this. I like to be able to choose between the two because the plastic and non plastic impact my skin differently

Reactions: ParaRomeo
Finny said:
I did not know this. I like to be able to choose between the two because the plastic and non plastic impact my skin differently
Definitely understand I use mainly plastic backed but occasionally when skin needs it,I switch to a breathable type mainly at home. I really like when companies offer similar products in both backings which is rare, so like I mainly use Northshore Supreme's now which are plastic backed but they have Air Supreme's which is cloth backed but just as good and occasionally order them when I can afford them if not I can get a case of the Smartcore through insurance. But like in past used Abena but there cloth backed suck. I will say Tranquility though my output has increased because of meds is a solid product but also amazing company(not sure if they still do it but at one time if a veteran wanted to get there products they would send them a case for free and help them to get through their VA Hosp). Another thing really liked is consistency the atn I used say 9yrs ago is the same if not very similar to one I tried last year or like I got couple cases of booster at a yard sale their dated 2013 but same ones I been ordering since like 2012 till I got these only real different & doesn't effect performance is the orange color(they call it peach) these are different shades like one is bright one is kinda dull. But have seen posts on special needs forums where parents have used them for 15yrs & still use them which a true testimony to their products not many brands offer that.

furry121 said:
There maybe more insurance's but it's mainly Medicaid which is income based usually at or below poverty limit sometimes with waivers for a major disability (unless a minor with major disability some kids because of disability qualify) each state(run by the state) or it's own requirements and what they provide and the Veterans Administration(must be a veteran that qualifies for VA Benefits) that provides Incontinence products. I have tried with 2 major insurance companies and even though tad bit morbid but both offered things that weren't technically medical necessities yes they improve quality of life and if I or my family needed them it's great but most private insurances even though you pay out the ars they are denied.

As for FSA though most IC products do qualify some carriers can be difficult like I have FSA and recently got diapers from Northshore and not first time and they are being kind of difficult like had to submit receipts and than a letter and still pending earlier this year for some from another company and their system mis-coded it and was a process but also had many without issues. But most FSA unless agreed upon like in a union contract(mine is part of my retirement package where i worked puts certain amounts in FSA and certain in HRA every fiscal yr) are based upon what amount you decide that you want taken out of your paycheck which is done before taxes. But most of them are funded by the person wanting an FSA

furry121 said:
I have Welmark BCBS and Medicaid disability waiver. Only medicaid covers IC supplies. Medicaid, by comparison, is very kind to me.

Back