Managing complete IC...

CrossfireHurricane

longtime complete incontinent
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've always been IC. And I actually work as an educator and guidance counselor so BM accidents would ruin my day.. Most of my BM's happen in the early morning. I've only had a few during the day. But sometimes rare BM accident, whether I'm shopping, working at school or just being out in public, you simply have to be prepared. Although I prefer to go home, clean-up, shower and re-diaper, sometimes you just got stuck. I always have an emergency pack in my car. Wetting doesn't really bother me. At least as I've not hitting the danger zone for a leak. Wetting my diaper is the easiest way to manage.

But a BM is completely different. For this I usually wear plastic pants. It's kind of a pain but I've been using them for years. They're comfortable. But the biggest issue is odor. So I always use Nullo (internal deodorants). In my opinion they limit most of the odor from a large BM accident. Not everything but with plastic pants (and good fixation shorts), it gives me extra time if I can't get away. And I always wear a good cologne. The best way to not being noticed simply leave the area. If you can't your stuck. That's why I prepare.

F-IC is always challenging. Especially when out in public. What do you use for preparations? I'm sure we have IC members on our forum who have their best way to battle
a dirty diaper.

Reactions: Edgewater
I am 24/7, U-IC and only occasional will I have F-IC, commonly only when sick, which is fairly rare.

I always wear plastic pants, which helps regardless of one's IC issue.

And, I always have a diaper bag with me and additional supplies in the SUV.

I commonly diaper for a worst case event, that way surprises are easily handled.

Being retired is the greatest tool, as one's out and about is fully planned.

Reactions: Constantlydamp and CrossfireHurricane
So I think the most important thing is proper bowel management. You just have to get it empty in the morning somehow and then eat nothing that could cause problems.

I don't know how it is with you - I only have problems with thin stools. Then psyllium husks or healing clay and possibly also a training of the anal sphincter / pelvic floor help.

One more tip about the psyllium husks: I took them the wrong way at the beginning. They work much better if you take them in the evening before bedtime with about half a liter of liquid.

From my point of view it matters little what you wear - if it happens then hardly anything helps to hide the maleur (except quickly disappear). The better method is to make sure that it does not happen...

Reactions: Edgewater
I'm complete IC but to be honest I haven't had a BM accident (during the regular day) for awhile. Of course sleeping with BM's qualify as "complete" IC. According to my internist, bowel management will keep me regular. And with some adjustment, most of my BM accidents became as a "night-time"
deal. If I haven't had a BM while sleeping they happen in the early morning. My doctor insists that my diet also needed more healthy foods (cut the fast food) and take more fiber. So for years I've been using psyllium husk (Metamucil). So beside having large stool, defecation is strain free (when I'm awake). The stool is solid (not actually firm) and it's easily managed.

As for wetting (just like BM's), I experience strong urgency along with a tendency to flood. Simple management by using quality disposables (along with boosters and plastic pants when needed). Another management technique is to use internal deodorants (chlorophyll). I don't stink-out the house (which my partner appreciates).

I've been IC since the beginning. So I made some adjustments from my doctor's advise. Being IC is never easy. But with the right management, life is
so much better.

• Love
Reactions: DannyMed0919, Edgewater and joemama
Your efforts are an example to others!!

Thank you for defining what works well for you as others struggling will know that there are ways of managing what appears to be unmanageable!

Reactions: greatlake5
Back