Leg gathers

qwertyqwerty

Contributor
Role
  1. Sissy
When you put on a diaper , the outmost layer , the shell, does the outer part need to be touching your skin or flat - as in slightly elevated onto your leg ? I hope that question is easy to understand, the way I worded that

It doesn't have to be. The leak guards are what suppose to keep everything in. I know I like mine to so I get a nice brief type look. But soon diapers just have loose leg opening

Reactions: Angelapinks
Pantyman said:
It doesn't have to be. The leak guards are what suppose to keep everything in. I know I like mine to so I get a nice brief type look. But soon diapers just have loose leg opening
It does have to be. Leak guards were not designed to be waterproof. If they were they would be made of non permeable plastics like backsheets are. Instead they are made of the same non woven plastics as the topsheet. They are intended to hold solids and help direct the flow of fluids up the diaper.

Here is an excerpt from patent #EP1933798B1 issued in 1998 currently held by P&G with a link for reference. It's in reference to the figure below.

Containment is achieved because the surface material would have to flow up the channel 96, which direction is substantially directly against the force of gravity when the wearer is in an upright position, in order to penetrate and flow over the distal edges 66 of the barrier cuffs 62. However, should such material flow beyond the barrier cuffs 62, it is retarded from leaking out of the diaper 20 by the gasketing effect achieved by the gasketing cuffs 56, as they draw and gather the side flaps 58 about the legs of the wearer, thereby providing a second and independent effective barrier against leakage.

imgf0004.png

And this excerpt id from patent #US4695278A issued in 1985 and currently held by P&G. This is most likely their inception in design.

The major function of absorbent articles such as disposable diapers and adult incontinent briefs, is to absorb and contain body exudates. Such articles are also intended to prevent body exudates from soiling, wetting, or otherwise contaminating clothing or other articles, such as bedding, that come in contact with the wearer. The most common mode of failure for such products occurs when body exudates leak out of the gaps between the article and the wearer's leg or waist to adjacent clothing because they are not immediately absorbed within the article. This is most evident with loose fecal material which is not easily absorbed by the absorbent article and tends to "float" on the top surface of the absorbent article.

If leak guards were designed to hold fluids then baby diapers would already have loose leg openings. Baby diapers are miles ahead of adult diapers in construction and design and would have reflected this design already.

Reactions: Sealander, ArgentBuffalo and TigerDL
if I've been wearing a diaper for a longer period, an I feel like it's starting to sag, I like to slide the leg gatherers out on my legs as much as it can go, and squeeze my legs. I'm sure that sets the leak barrier back to where they belong.

Reactions: Kahzuu1
I use narrow bands of white duct tape to secure and adjust outer leg gathers to a snug tight fit. I have messy diaper, no leaks

Antientmariner said:
...I like to slide the leg gatherers out on my legs as much as it can go...
I do the same sometimes. This does reset things and help contain leaks a bit longer but that leads to another issue with adult diapers. The SAP likes to migrate towards the leg gathers because there isn't enough glue holding the backsheet and topsheet together. If you look at the figure in my post you will see a thin layer surrounding the padding. This is an extra layer of nonwoven material wrapped around the absorbent pad completely. Another reason baby diapers work so well at containing leaks and absorbing better.

• Wow
Reactions: theancientmariner
What Brand of Pull-ups have the "Tallest" and Best Standing Leak Guards? Anyone? North Shores "Go Supreme's" are only 1" Tall...Adam told me that "They're working on it" I wish someone would make them about 3" tall like the Megamax Brief. Boosters would work better too!

Last edited:
Kahzuu1 said:
What Brand of Pull-ups have the "Tallest" and Best Standing Leak Guards? Anyone? North Shores "Go Supreme's" are only 1" Tall...Adam told me that "They're working on it" I wish someone would make them about 3" tall like the Megamax Brief. Boosters would work better too!
Pull-ups don’t really have leak guards. They usually resign in tabbed diapers rather than pull-ups.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
This is very similar to what I do and what my wife does when changing me, the key is to make sure the diaper is even on your body (both front waist and back waist) then creating that fold channel so your anatomy stays in one spot / fluid goes in one direction. A properly sized diaper is needed, if your on the fence between sizes, then up sizing is better then squeezing into a smaller size

This Video is totally irrelevant to the question... I'm not sure that you are familiar with the components of of the Diapers! First of all the Standing Leak Guards are the first line of defense against leaks...they are situated (INSIDE) of the diaper brief or the Pullups, up against the absorbance padding with-in...The second line of defence "supposably" are the "Leg Guards" on the (outer) edge of the Brief or Pullups against the leg but RARELY do they stop any leaks. The designers and manufactures skimp on the amount of elastic on that area! Never tight or wide enough. I use Megamax Gopros during the daytime and even though "one of the Tallest Standing Leakguards in the industry" they need to be MUCH taller than the 1" that they are... They need to be at least 2 or 3" tall as their Megamax Brief is at 3" tall if trying to contain (press out) leaks! especially sitting in a car for extended periods! Thank you for response though... I was just wondering if there were any other brands that fit the bill, that's all!

It somewhat shows me what is going on …. I understand the inner leg guard needs to be wrapped into the crease of the leg , I didn’t really know where the outside part sits on your inner leg. Because there are 2 ways to do it and any slight off movement can throw off a seal and cause a leak

Back