Leaking from the bottom

megaaaan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I've started wearing diapers more frequently and plan on wearing them pretty often from now on. Only problem is I seem to be leaking from the bottom (where your diaper sags), near the leg gathers.

I'm MTF so I try to tuck as tightly as possible to try and make sure the butt padding also gets used.

I was wearing a betterdry and a booster last night and leaked after 2-3 hours of wearing, I think I wet 4 times, maybe 5.

Maybe I'm just using them too much?

It just feels like I should be getting more out of the diapers. I need to get some plastic pants too but not sure which to get

Reactions: Softypink
It's common to leak out the sides and front while laying down ... unfortunately it is caused by how your body is shaped 'down there' and the position you are sleeping in. ( I leak out the front wings and top ) Wetting 5 times a night seems excessive - do you have breathing issues such as sleep apnea / hypopnea ?
Wearing absorbent plastic pants helps a lot, so does using a wide booster that does not swell. Sleeping at a bit of an incline, instead of flat backed, can force pee to trickle down instead of sideways.

And on a side note: I have found the inner guards on Tykables 'waddle cut' diapers work better than anything else I have used for nighttime protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL, BobbiSueEllen and LilBubba88
KitsuneFox said:
It's common to leak out the sides and front while laying down ... unfortunately it is caused by how your body is shaped 'down there' and the position you are sleeping in. ( I leak out the front wings and top ) Wetting 5 times a night seems excessive - do you have breathing issues such as sleep apnea / hypopnea ?
Wearing absorbent plastic pants helps a lot, so does using a wide booster that does not swell. Sleeping at a bit of an incline, instead of flat backed, can force pee to trickle down instead of sideways.

And on a side note: I have found the inner guards on Tykables 'waddle cut' diapers work better than anything else I have used for nighttime protection.
I have mainly been wearing during the day at the moment, I feel like the diaper may be struggling to soak all the way to the butt so it just stays between the legs / at the bottom and just gets over saturared.

What boosters do you use? I've got some Lille maxi's (recently rebranded to ontex i believe).

megaaaan said:
What boosters do you use? I've got some Lille maxi's (recently rebranded to ontex i believe).
If I use a liner during the day, it's Abena Boost ( theoretical capacity of 1,200 ml )
During the night, I use Northshore 2xl liner due to how wide they are in the front ( theoretical capacity of 2,500 ml )

I've never tried BetterDry so I don't know if they're prone to leaking. I've also petsonally never really had any issues with leaking but I don't wear during the day for extended periods of time without changing. Wetting around for times in the space of two to three hours does seem like a lot though... I'll normally wet at least twice maybe three over a period of 6-7 hours.
I do find out of the nappies I have tried ABU Simple Ultra seem to have the best absorbency and I don't feel the wetness in them compared to others

With betterdry, I've found most of the butt padding isn't very absorbent anyway when compared with the front and middle. After you get yourself tucked and positioned, are you making sure the leak guards are fully expanded and contain all of you between them? Betterdry also absorb a lot in the front area, if you find yourself leaking from the middle area without really saturating the front, you may need to tuck a little less or even adjust after several wettings to use the rest of the diaper. I sleep on my back most of the night, and sometimes if I wake up before morning and the middle of my diaper is saturated but the front is not, I'll turn over onto my stomach before wetting again.

A betterdry does not wick, using a booster does indeed help but increases the risk of overflow because you lose leak guard height.
I find it better daytime to wear a betterdry without booster and change every 5 - 6h.

megaaaan said:
I have mainly been wearing during the day at the moment, I feel like the diaper may be struggling to soak all the way to the butt so it just stays between the legs / at the bottom and just gets over saturared.

During the day when I know I'm about to release a flood, I'll go lay tummy down on the bed to be sure to fill up the front up high. I do the same for the back, then release standing up after I've gotten the front and back filled. I agree with Scotty that the ABU Simples and Peekaboos hold great, and also with Kitsune that the Tykeable's waddle cut ones are great. And you can't beat the MegaMax. It is very dependable a night and you won't believe how much it holds.

Also, after you get the diaper on, reach in on both sides and be sure the standing guards are out and up all the way from front to back.

I have never leaked up until recently when I was putting them on a bit too tight. One of the times I sat down in a chair being dry and then wetting later on, only to find when I was changing to look for why I was leaking that there was a tiny hole in the bottom.

LittleScotty said:
I've never tried BetterDry so I don't know if they're prone to leaking. I've also petsonally never really had any issues with leaking but I don't wear during the day for extended periods of time without changing. Wetting around for times in the space of two to three hours does seem like a lot though... I'll normally wet at least twice maybe three over a period of 6-7 hours.
I do find out of the nappies I have tried ABU Simple Ultra seem to have the best absorbency and I don't feel the wetness in them compared to others
i have been trying abu simple ultras and they are my favourite out of the ones i've ordered (the others being little pawz, bunny hops and betterdry)

do you do small tiny wets or more towards flooding?

Reactions: LittleScotty
TheAbodge said:
With betterdry, I've found most of the butt padding isn't very absorbent anyway when compared with the front and middle. After you get yourself tucked and positioned, are you making sure the leak guards are fully expanded and contain all of you between them? Betterdry also absorb a lot in the front area, if you find yourself leaking from the middle area without really saturating the front, you may need to tuck a little less or even adjust after several wettings to use the rest of the diaper. I sleep on my back most of the night, and sometimes if I wake up before morning and the middle of my diaper is saturated but the front is not, I'll turn over onto my stomach before wetting again.
i reach around the leg gathers when i'm taped up and make sure they're kinda stretched out and go near my thighs, but no i don't do anything with the leak guards - could you explain what you mean or describe what you do?

winterheart01 said:
A betterdry does not wick, using a booster does indeed help but increases the risk of overflow because you lose leak guard height.
I find it better daytime to wear a betterdry without booster and change every 5 - 6h.
how many wets can you typically do between the 5-6hr mark? and are these like small wets or closer to floods?

megaaaan said:
i reach around the leg gathers when i'm taped up and make sure they're kinda stretched out and go near my thighs, but no i don't do anything with the leak guards - could you explain what you mean or describe what you do?
The leak guards on betterdry diapers frequently come slightly stuck to the padding or shell, make sure when you first unfold the diaper you "free" them fully so they stand up. Also, while you are positioning the leg gathers, make sure the leak guards are tucked all the way up between your thighs and what hangs between them, almost like that terrible netting on swim trunks. This should keep the urine from "short circuiting" and leaking straight out before it can get absorbed.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrankyPants and hoimi
Maybe you're just going to quickly, try wetting slowler. Most diapers will absorb and move the urine into different parts of the diaper, to get more use out of it and prevent leaks.

But it can't do that if it's overwhelm the bottom will just overflow and go out the leg holes

Rubber pants tend to help with this but if you can't get any right now. Try wetting in slightly different positions slowly. If it goes out the leg hole then you've missed a lot of the patting. Avoid those positions.

KitsuneFox said:
It's common to leak out the sides and front while laying down And on a side note: I have found the inner guards on Tykables 'waddle cut' diapers work better than anything else I have used for nighttime protection.
Booster or no, the leg gathers on most all of our diapers seem to not do the job they're supposed to do. There isn't enough free plastic between the padding & elastics to reach back and flex around to seal the legs from leaks...and stuffers seem to aggravate the problem. The Tykables Waddle-Cut seem to be the only diaper that addresses the issue with results.

If a diaper cannot be made to effectively do the one thing a diaper is supposed to do, then what's the point?

• Love
Reactions: TigerDL, Joediaper, KrankyPants and 1 other person
Weirdly, my diapers don't have leak guards just good leg gather gussets, and they hold pee inside really well even I flood them, even if I sit down before it's absorbed, no leaks. It just squelches the pee up the diaper to the dry parts unless I'm really full already. I guess the Tena brand just fits my body type well.

The cut of the diaper and making that leg to butt seal is very important to preventing leaks regardless of body position. I usually find leak guards to get in the way unless they're amazingly sturdy like Megamax or if I'm wearing a pullup. Pullups NEED leak guards, their leg gathers usually suck!

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
megaaaan said:
i have been trying abu simple ultras and they are my favourite out of the ones i've ordered (the others being little pawz, bunny hops and betterdry)

do you do small tiny wets or more towards flooding?
It really can vary... Sometimes I'll wet a little and sometimes especially if I've been drinking a lot of coffee it'll be a lot. It always seems to hold up well. I'm both circumstances it'll bulge a lot and that's when I change

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
I was having leaking problems when I first started wearing diapers and learned in stages how to combat them:

Fluff the diaper (a YouTube search can be helpful to find several methods);

Don't tape the diaper too tightly and position the tapes for a proper fit (takes some trial and error);

Don't be too heavy handed applying diaper creams (some of the creams can dissolve the adhesive holding the inner parts of the diaper in place);

Make sure that leak guards are free and standing when finished fluffing;

After the diaper is on, use a finger to check the leak guards and reposition them if needed;

Large cotton panties over a diaper help absorb small leaks;

A waterproof diaper cover helps contain leaks;

A support garment (panty girdle, etc) prevents excessive diaper sagging and leaking.

Reactions: TigerDL, megaaaan, hoimi and 1 other person
megaaaan said:
how many wets can you typically do between the 5-6hr mark? and are these like small wets or closer to floods?
I leak every 10 - 30:seconds very small amounts , that's why I can go without leaking fast.
Plenty factors intervene though, using creams will destroy the leak guards and then i risk leaking when standing up after sitting a few hours.

HomeAlone said:
During the day when I know I'm about to release a flood, I'll go lay tummy down on the bed to be sure to fill up the front up high. I do the same for the back, then release standing up after I've gotten the front and back filled. I agree with Scotty that the ABU Simples and Peekaboos hold great, and also with Kitsune that the Tykeable's waddle cut ones are great. And you can't beat the MegaMax. It is very dependable a night and you won't believe how much it holds.

Also, after you get the diaper on, reach in on both sides and be sure the standing guards are out and up all the way from front to back.
This is exactly the same as my process for wetting. I put my diaper on while standing up against a wall, and the primary benefit of doing this is allows my male appendage to rest at a comfortable 45 degree forward and down. This is the most spacious positioning possible if you're male, and it's much better than 1) pointing straight up, which always leads to me either leaking out of the top of the diaper almost immediately or getting unwanted erections; or 2) pointing straight down and tucking it through your legs, which I think puts pressure on your urinary tract and makes it harder to go.

The "pointing out and down position" also allows me to achieve the maximum possible absorbency from my diapers. I always start wetting a fresh diaper by bending over and squatting slightly before letting go, which lets some slack into the front of my diaper and lets my member "hang free," which is an amazing feeling compared to being pressed down at an awkward angle by the front of the diaper diaper, which always makes it difficult and painful for me to pee. Wetting in this position also maximizes the diaper's potential absorbency by wetting over a large surface area of the padding. Last, and most importantly, when I'm wetting this position the frontal crotch area of my diaper will absorb the bulk of the pee, and the crotch is the first part to swell substantially, so I always get a nice, bulky feeling between my legs right from the first wetting. Definitely the best way to go.

Reactions: TigerDL, Tigondegra, HomeAlone and 1 other person
Back