Keeping a food a drink diary

KechoDrips

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Does anyone else keep an intake diary? How do you do it and what do you track?

I have been doing this for a bit now but some days I am lazy and want to do a better job at keeping track so that I can share with my doctor but also so that I can see if there are any trends that affect my bed wetting. Currently using an app called "Foodility".

What I track currently,
  1. Fluid in ounces - normally whenever I finish off a 32 oz bottle that I have sitting on my desk.
  2. General descriptions of food - I don't really get specific and normally write down things like "Chicken breast with cheese and veggies" (my lunch today)
  3. Alcohol - This gets wrapped up in my daily fluid intake but I specifically mark it as alcohol so that I can see trends
  4. Caffeine - I try to track how much daily caffeine I am getting from various sources
  5. Bedtime - so that I can see when I finished my last drink and when I fell asleep.
  6. Amount of fluid in morning diaper - I just weigh it, subtract dry diaper weight and then track from day to day so that I can see how it changes.

Reactions: Pino and Edgewater
I target only what is exiting as that's what I am most concern about as I know what is effecting my U-IC.
If you are attempting to understand what triggers, your approach makes sense!
As you know, never reduce hydration to limit your release!

Reactions: mickdl
Edgewater said:
I target only what is exiting as that's what I am most concern about as I know what is effecting my U-IC.
If you are attempting to understand what triggers, your approach makes sense!
As you know, never reduce hydration to limit your release!
Funny you should mention to not reduce hydration as that is exactly what my urodynamics doctor told me to do. She wanted me to lower to 100 oz a day from my typical 140-190 oz a day. That didn't last very long before I gave that up.

• Wow
Reactions: LifeInPlastic and Edgewater
I did for a long time, helped with associating food/activity with leakage and bladder pain. Overall, very useful.

I had a sheet with date and time blocks of 3 hours that way I could see patterns. each block, I recorded:
- food, liquid, liquid type
- voiding details (actual time) frequency/amount: success (measured) and leakage
- bladder feeling assessment
- activity level, exercise

Reactions: Edgewater
So I do that from time to time, too. If then, however, most not only two or three days but usually for a month. Then I write down everything - not only what goes in but also what comes out.

I also sometimes forget to enter something but since it is not only three days that is then put into perspective over time. The goal of the action was mostly to find out whether a change in diet or a change in medication has brought an improvement. This only works in the long term.

Otherwise, I only write down the consumption of aids and drinks. The latter is important because I tend to drink too little.

KechoDrips said:
I do use the iUFlow App to track all fluids and every pee / poop. You can separate the fluids in different types.
Additional i track symptoms of my chronic illness with the "Visible" App, my bladder problems are part of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mickdl and Edgewater
KechoDrips said:

I have been doing this for a bit now but some days I am lazy and want to do a better job at keeping track so that I can share with my doctor but also so that I can see if there are any trends that affect my bed wetting. Currently using an app called "Foodility".

What I track currently,
  1. Fluid in ounces - normally whenever I finish off a 32 oz bottle that I have sitting on my desk.
  2. General descriptions of food - I don't really get specific and normally write down things like "Chicken breast with cheese and veggies" (my lunch today)
  3. Alcohol - This gets wrapped up in my daily fluid intake but I specifically mark it as alcohol so that I can see trends
  4. Caffeine - I try to track how much daily caffeine I am getting from various sources
  5. Bedtime - so that I can see when I finished my last drink and when I fell asleep.
  6. Amount of fluid in morning diaper - I just weigh it, subtract dry diaper weight and then track from day to day so that I can see how it changes.
I use the Fitbit app to track my food and water intake. Makes it easy if you eat a lot of the same thing you can track all the nutrients and calories super easy. Once youve entered a food once it saves it on a list and you can add it quickly next time.

I had to do it a few times for my urologist. A common thing when diagnosing IC. I even recommended it friends and family to become aware of their hydration. By know I have an established shedule of intake and do no longer need to keep track manually.

Cheers

Reactions: Edgewater and bdale
Back