Just curious...Are there any of you in the 40-50 age range?

CheshireCat said:
Now we have the Shingrix vaccine and the healthcare community is pushing it, by discussing the terrible outcomes that can occur if you have an outbreak of Shingles. The problem is, in all my years I only encountered a couple of people who had Shingles and it was a nuisance. They still showed up for work and after a few weeks it was gone. Now, I hear about friends and acquaintances getting Shingles almost every other week. I may be older now, but in my line of work and relationships I was involved with elderly people daily. Somethings has changed.
I had shingles several years ago; it was very uncomfortable, but a pre-shingrix vaccine injection apparently kept it from being worse than it was, and it wasn’t fun. Current, a U.S. Congress woman is hospitalized for shingles; my father-in-law was once hospitalized for several days because of shingles, which can invade the mouth and throat and even cause permanent blindness. All in all, Shingrix is far preferable, for me, to a case of shingles,despite a possible bad reaction to the vaccine itself.

PeterPPeevy said:
I had shingles several years ago; it was very uncomfortable, but a pre-shingrix vaccine injection apparently kept it from being worse than it was, and it wasn’t fun. Current, a U.S. Congress woman is hospitalized for shingles; my father-in-law was once hospitalized for several days because of shingles, which can invade the mouth and throat and even cause permanent blindness. All in all, Shingrix is far preferable, for me, to a case of shingles,despite a possible bad reaction to the vaccine itself.
It can get into the trigemma nurve.
Cause pain like being stabbed in the eye all the time a Dr let it go in treated for 2 1/2 years on my girlfriend we had to do a brain stem surgery to stop the pain .

CheshireCat said:
Because of my neuromuscular disorder, I avoid all vaccinations... I've already had encephalitis twice.

That being said, Shingles is a specific type of herpes. Herpes zoster, also known as shingles, is caused by the reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus (VZV), the same virus that causes varicella (chickenpox). Primary infection with VZV causes varicella. Once the illness resolves, the virus remains latent in the dorsal root ganglia. VZV can reactive later in a person’s life and cause a painful, maculopapular rash called herpes zoster.

Until 2020, Zostavax was the vaccine available for Shingles. Merck, the creator of Zostavax removed their vaccine from the market after having a lawsuit dismissed against them. The lawsuit was brought by nearly 1200 people who claimed that they got Shingles from the Zostavax vaccine. Merck's defense was it was impossible to tell if their cases of Shingles was from the vaccine or from the wild Chicken Pox virus still in their system. The point being, either the Zostavax didn't work or caused Shingles in those people. Merck didn't want any further investigation, so they withdrew the vaccine.

Now we have the Shingrix vaccine and the healthcare community is pushing it, by discussing the terrible outcomes that can occur if you have an outbreak of Shingles. The problem is, in all my years I only encountered a couple of people who had Shingles and it was a nuisance. They still showed up for work and after a few weeks it was gone. Now, I hear about friends and acquaintances getting Shingles almost every other week. I may be older now, but in my line of work and relationships I was involved with elderly people daily. Somethings has changed.
That's so perfect to know, everything you sent me was very interesting. I can now make calm and relatively better conclusions about it all. Thank you. My health wavers as I age, and I fear more things now knowing as we age, our recoveries are longer and sometimes complicated despite my personal somewhat healthful intentions with everything in this body of mine.

So I appreciate your response very much. I awoke with just an itchy sore arm where the shot happened. Kinda warm. But overall, I slept okay last night.
Candidly about me: I could read a Merck Sharp & Dohme book and decide I have nearly everything one way or the other after an hour of scanning ailments, although by no means am I any hypo (or hyper) chondrial type or Munchausen critter. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

But as I age, I do worry more since I found out I am not impervious not immortal.4,068 Handsome Male Vampire Stock Photos, Images & Photography |  Shutterstock

Reactions: CheshireCat
I do want to say that I am neither pro nor anti vaccine. There is risk that comes with taking and not taking a vaccine. Caveat emptor.

Reactions: Woncrinklz
I just turned 74 and had the shingrix vaccine last year with no ill effects at all

Reactions: Woncrinklz
Back