Is the term abdl something we should keep using?

PaddedWife

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
upon reflection it seems the term adult baby may be hurting the community more then helping.
Why not call it AR/DL adult regression, diaper lover.
seems more palatable to the masses. just seems like the name itself gives ammo to those that dislike the community.

Reactions: 90snappynostalgia, JulestheFloof, Eclectic and 4 others
I'm transgender and bisexual, and from time to time this subject comes up in that context. The problem, however, is that it's not terminology that is hurting the community, and changing terminology is not going to change attitudes. I'll give you an example: I used to go to a group for alcoholics and drug addicts (I was then severely dependant on alcohol) and one day - during a cigarette break - a chap who was recently retired and whose wife had died only a few years before I got to know him, and he said to me, "Claire, I'll be honest. When I first met you, I didn't know what to think. But you're just like the rest of us". I didn't change his attitude by changing the terminology, I changed his attitude by just being.

When it comes to nappies/diapers, the situation is very different. All you are suggesting is to replace the word "Baby" with "Regression", but then I'd have to ask that - since they're largely synonymous - why mention that part at all? Why not just stick with the "diaper lover" part?

• Love
Reactions: JR1, emberkitten, Tori94 and 1 other person
PaddedWife said:
upon reflection it seems the term adult baby may be hurting the community more then helping.
seems more palatable to the masses. just seems like the name itself gives ammo to those that dislike the community.
Whenever I try to discuss this with a girlfriend or anything, I try to completely avoid saying the full words for abdl. I completely HATE the term abdl. Diaper "lover"? I don't love them. They're an inanimate object. Adult baby? Nothing about me is a baby, even in little space, I'm not a baby. The term is completely non inclusive and it also profiles in my opinion. We're all uniquely different. To wrap us all up under the term ABDL in my opinion makes no sense at all. The term itself makes me cringe. Pleaaase, let's change it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AJFan2020, TinyBunny and CptKirk
TGGirlUK said:
I'm transgender and bisexual, and from time to time this subject comes up in that context. The problem, however, is that it's not terminology that is hurting the community, and changing terminology is not going to change attitudes. I'll give you an example: I used to go to a group for alcoholics and drug addicts (I was then severely dependant on alcohol) and one day - during a cigarette break - a chap who was recently retired and whose wife had died only a few years before I got to know him, and he said to me, "Claire, I'll be honest. When I first met you, I didn't know what to think. But you're just like the rest of us". I didn't change his attitude by changing the terminology, I changed his attitude by just being.

When it comes to nappies/diapers, the situation is very different. All you are suggesting is to replace the word "Baby" with "Regression", but then I'd have to ask that - since they're largely synonymous - why mention that part at all? Why not just stick with the "diaper lover" part?
Not everyone who regresses does so to an infant. Some of us just have playful childish personalities. The term is kinda profiling and is non inclusive. And I think most people would react better to hearing the word regressor, because they'd have to stop to understand what it means and the why, instead of hearing "Adult baby". Ugh I hate even saying it 😩. It sounds so cringe

Reactions: AJFan2020 and TinyBunny
TGGirlUK said:

Aggreed, though to be honest, I don't think it's the term that really matters, it's what people think about it. If you change the term of something, it's still going to be done the same way. Like the phrase from I beleve Shakespeare, "A rose by any other name, would smell as sweet." If we change the name of abdl, it's not going to change people's minds about it.

Reactions: Riddy, BBBen and BobbiSueEllen
Cloudhopper94 said:
Not everyone who regresses does so to an infant. Some of us just have playful childish personalities. The term is kinda profiling and is non inclusive. And I think most people would react better to hearing the word regressor, because they'd have to stop to understand what it means and the why, instead of hearing "Adult baby". Ugh I hate even saying it 😩. It sounds so cringe

I had rather thought that I was making that same point when I said, " why mention that part at all? Why not just stick with the "diaper lover" part?". Or even just ditch the "lover" part and just say, "I like to wear diapers" (or "I like to wear nappies")

Reactions: TreeLad and Deleted member 62493
In addition some of us aren’t age regressors we are age players or a mixture of both. Terminologies do change as do views I’ve seen it as a librarian not all that long ago books about same sex attraction and similar things were cataloged in the ‘Mental Illnesses’ section of libraries now they are cataloged in the ‘Sex and Relationships’ area because ideas have changed over time.

Reactions: AJFan2020 and Subtlerustle
Going back to the original question:

"Is the term abdl something we should keep using?

Personally, I'm going to continue to use to term to describe myself, but I understand that not everyone who engages in age regression, or wears diapers, fits that description, and that's down to individual choice. To put it another way; if I am wearing a nappy, it does not follow that I am dressed as an adult baby/sissy. However, it I am dressed as an adult baby, I will be wearing a nappy :)

Unfortunately or not (I don't personally like the term), there's no doing anything about it. It's stuck and will never change.

That said, I don't think the label is the reason why there are sometimes negative reactions to us from the general public. That would be because we are abnormal.

• Thinking
Reactions: BBBen, Deleted member 62493 and TGGirlUK
PaddedWife said:
I like your acronym better than the current one. Most AB’s wear diapers so as @TGGirlUK noted the DL part is what we share in common. I feel like the whole age play aspect is one that is best no generalized. Each individual deserves the opportunity to explain themselves uniquely. ARDL is way better and DL is simpler leaving room for modifications.
Let’s be honest here. The part the public has trouble with isn’t the object itself but the notion of using the object.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 62493
Btw, Diaper Fetish is a cringe term as well. The word fetish conjures up extremely negative emotions in modern society.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and AJFan2020
I'm not a fan of the acronym ABDL. ARDL is better. But maybe it shouldn't even have the word diaper in it, cos not every little uses diapers and DL is sort of a separate thing. Having that word in it makes everyone only focus on that. How about ALAR (adult littles and age regressors)?

Reactions: mistykitty
A lot of dl's are not into age regression. Could go for diaper user instead of lover. ARDU?

Reactions: TigerDL, ElPulpo and Deleted member 62493
Tenawearer said:
A lot of dl's are not into age regression. Could go for diaper user instead of lover. ARDU?
I wanted to comment this same thing. This can go back and forth all day lol. At the end of the day ABs and DLs are two entirely separate things. They can cross over both directions, but for many people they have absolutely nothing to do with the other

Reactions: Prillprillprill
That's right but hopefully we are all part of the same community. We should be as inclusive as possible.😀

Reactions: KittyninjaW and Deleted member 62493
Prillprillprill said:
I'm not a fan of the acronym ABDL. ARDL is better. But maybe it shouldn't even have the word diaper in it, cos not every little uses diapers and DL is sort of a separate thing. Having that word in it makes everyone only focus on that. How about ALAR (adult littles and age regressors)?
I think ABDL is ok, but yes maybe Diaper being represented by the D can be off-putting to some. ALAR as you suggested works pretty well. I think in the recent past a similar thread was posted about a new abbreviation for all of us. I would maybe suggest one change what about ALAP (Adult Littles & Age Play). I say age play because regression is a word that can be mispercieved as well. Age play covers everything but is amicable as well.

Reactions: Prillprillprill
mistykitty said:
I think ABDL is ok, but yes maybe Diaper being represented by the D can be off-putting to some. ALAR as you suggested works pretty well. I think in the recent past a similar thread was posted about a new abbreviation for all of us. I would maybe suggest one change what about ALAP (Adult Littles & Age Play). I say age play because regression is a word that can be mispercieved as well. Age play covers everything but is amicable as well.
This is completely cutting out DLs. Not everyone into diapers does any sort of regression, little stuff, or baby stuff. I think there's just an abundance of littles on here so that's why we keep getting this suggestion. Some people just enjoy wearing for many different reasons and this acronym wouldn't include them at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TigerDL, OnePiece, TreeLad and 1 other person
Cloudhopper94 said:
This is completely cutting out DLs. Not everyone into diapers does any sort of regression, little stuff, or baby stuff. I think there's just an abundance of littles on here so that's why we keep getting this suggestion. Some people just enjoy wearing for many different reasons and this acronym wouldn't include them at all
I said if it was changed it was a good alternate. i didn't say it should be changed. i'm fine with abdl as it is now.

No, it causes too much misunderstanding.

Tenawearer said:
Diaper enthusiast?

Reactions: Tenawearer and Deleted member 62493
Back