Is nappy wearing becoming more common?

JonahAteAWhale

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I don't know, but I feel like nappy wearing is becoming more common. When I was a kid you didn't see big displays of adult diapers in the chemist's shop, but at this point Pampers did have sizes that fit many children throughout their childhood, but it was still expected that a child be potty trained at the tender age of 2 (a generation before? The age was under 2.)

I remember potty training. I hated it, I was scared of getting swallowed up by the loo, and I liked the comfort and convenience of my nappies. My mum potty trained me nevertheless, I remember there was a lot of sweeties and chocolates and stars and things like that, and "Well done!" etc., except at night I remained in nappies, and I couldn't understand why they were making this almighty fuss about me and this potty thing all the time. My Bampy (granddad) put me straight back in nappies as soon as he was looking after me, which was 90% of the time, which was nice.

Anyway, now, as mentioned in another thread here, kids potty train even later, and it's not considered abnormal for a child to remain in nappies or pull ups, at least at night, throughout their childhood. There's more variety and range and availability of adult nappies also all of a sudden. I dunno, it just seems to me that nappies as an adult is becoming more common, if not yet considered "normal". I wonder if it becomes even more common will it become considered normal for some people to wear nappies? It would be nice not to have to hide and be embarrassed about it. Is this a possibility?

Reactions: ianwee
I don't know about more common, but it is becoming more accepted with the aging baby boomer population and it becoming more known through media

dpcare said:
I don't know about more common, but it is becoming more accepted with the aging baby boomer population and it becoming more known through media
That is good. Maybe it seems to be more common to me because it is more accepted?

JonahAteAWhale said:
That is good. Maybe it seems to be more common to me because it is more accepted?
it's becoming more accepted as a medical issue

Reactions: 12srepaid and BobbiSueEllen
Society in general is becoming more accepting and inclusive of others differences, disabilities, identities, and preferences. I don’t expect to see preferential/recreational diaper use gaining any mainstream level of acceptance any time soon though. More acceptance for someone that has medical need perhaps. But otherwise, imagine being able to add in your vanilla bios:

Preferred pronouns: he/him
Preferred bathroom: diaper/pullup

Reactions: ianwee and BabyHailey1977
Like @dpcare says it's definitely becoming more accepted as a medical issue and adult nappies are becoming more easily available through the internet, Amazon seems to have more availability but I think the next big sign that adult nappies as in the tape up variety are becoming more common from a UK perspective is when Supermarkets start stocking them in the aisles alongside pull ups because pull ups are very easily available in the supermarket or Boots starts stocking better than their 'stay dry' range

It may be that I just didn't ever notice them but would adult nappies have actually been available 40 years ago? My grandma a had a continence problem and she had to wear plastic pants with a loose pad in them which really was not effective

TheMat said:
Society in general is becoming more accepting and inclusive of others differences, disabilities, identities, and preferences. I don’t expect to see preferential/recreational diaper use gaining any mainstream level of acceptance any time soon though. More acceptance for someone that has medical need perhaps. But otherwise, imagine being able to add in your vanilla bios:

Preferred pronouns: he/him
Preferred bathroom: diaper/pullup
That’s an amazing idea. I wish I could put that for my bathroom.

Reactions: ianwee
I think it is getting a lot more relaxed. I think diapers getting bigger and the availability of adult pull-ups is changing the landscape. I was having a conversation with my urologist about diapers and how they are becoming more accepted. I thought that when I told her that I’d rather wear diapers than take medication, have surgery, or something like Botox, she would think I was crazy. She surprised me by saying that it’s becoming more common, and especially with women.

She stated that the availability of adult pull ups is growing which is allowing women to use them instead of pads, or even nothing at all. She said more and more men are experiencing, or at least admitting to PMD and find pull-ups easier and more comfortable than pads.

It’s an interesting topic, and I’m enjoying reading other points of view.

My urologist told me that I’m her only patient who enjoys wearing diapers that she knows of. Especially since that came before the incontinence. She explained that though the diapers didn’t bring on my problems, they are making the effects happen quicker. Basically, diapers don’t cause incontinence, but they do speed it up.

Well, i do think that the companies found a new source of income from adult/big kid diapers and they are more advertised for sure, and more open in the media than the used to be.

Look back at old sears catalogs and there were adult diapers (cloth back in the day of course) in the old catalogs way long ago.

So its always been an issue to some degree, but it was just not advertised at all back in they day, even underwear was a long time ago refered to as unmentionables, as they were.

The openness to talk about things is getting better and the avilabiliy of information has helped that, as also has people becoming more accepting of differances.

Now, I see kids wearing longer for sure, older to train, and wearing diapers/nappies as opposed to accident are more common.

Remember with cloth it was laundry either way, wash sheets, wash nappies, yes some differance, but now it, toss a diaper or do laundry, and lazy usually wins.

Now as for adult wearing diapers, i think it's becoming more common to wear diapers than to take medication and/or surgery as people are less likely to just do what a dr says and are more attuned to what is done to the body these days. In years gone by, you just took a pill the dr said to, no mention to speak of about side effects and no thought over what damage it might be doing elsewhere in the body for the majority of people.

Nowadays people will ask/check/research the drugs and the possible side effects and also the long term damage it will do the the body taking medications. Also with diaposable and better products the ease of use has allowed diapers to be a better option more of the time.

Lets look back in say the 40's.
No disposable diapers, you had cloth with rubber pants.
The side effects of the drugs wre less known as a whole.
little was thought about the long term damage the drugs may do.
Drugs were looked at more like a magic pill.

Now in the 2020's
We have diapers that can hold a gallon (maybe)
They are disposable, thinner, no need to wash, no rubber pants.
We know more the side effects for drugs and operations better.
We are more aware of the damage from taking medications.
We also have clothing that can conceal diapers better as well.

So, overall, the choice to take medications to help with IC or even surgeries or procedures are more know to have down sides, and using a diaper you just toss out and your done is much easier than having to deal with cloth's bulk/washing/pants/etc.

So, i think more people are choosing diapers over the other options for a multitude of reasons.

Then comes the other side, are there more IC people...I think yes as there are more people overall, so even if the % stays the same there are more IC people around.

Then are there more using by choice, i say yes as more people in general and also that the advertising does bring diapers into the mind and i'm sure there are more that may use diapers for things like delivery drivers (if even just in case) long car rides, plane rides, and even to avoid possible things like covid and other pathagens as that is more ingrained in people compared to back 100's years ago germs were not even know about, let alone that you might get sick from someone else leaving a germ on a toilet, rome used shared sponges for wiping...i'm glad i'm not back in thoes days :)

So, are there more people using diapers.
Bottom line: Yes!
We have an ever expanding population and even if the % stay the same there are more people overall.
The diaper being easier(disposable) better quality(maybe) and holding more makes it a stronger option to deal with IC.
Then there is more people spending more time farther from bathrooms than used to be, like amazon drivers, or long areas of interstate highways, where a diaper may be used just in case.
Also, women have less options than men to pee, fromusing a bottle to finding a tree or a pole or a corner of a building, and more women doing jobs that take them into traditional males roles that may not have the facilities for them may also push/lean towards diapers as well.

Lastly is advertising, perception, and companies wanting to sell more diapers, that also takes a role in getting people to lean towards diapers vs other options. Maybe an amazon driver uses a diaper as opposed to a bottle.

Back