Irritated perineum?

quartz200420012

Diaper Historian
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hey y'all

Just asking what you guys use for the anal/perineal area for when you have runny stool that "burns" the area? My last few BM's it's felt very uncomfortable and the pain lasts a good amount of time.

I've found the best cream for the worst rashes that start to hurt is Calmoseptine, there are some alternatives that are cheaper (Walgreens brand though the smell isn't ideal and its less easy to spread and Dynarex CalaSoothe is an alternative as well, its almost as good as the original). Walgreens usually carries calmoseptine, the other is mostly found on some medical sites. I think the menthol in it is part of what helps in addition to the zinc oxide. Another one I have used in the past is Pinxav, its not as good, but works well enough.

My usual diaper routine as preventative is to use the Calmoseptine or similar in the friction or susceptible areas and then maybe some of the Pinxav on bottom and sides wear the diaper might rub a little.

These creams are all pink so FYI on that. I've tried so many things in the past and nothing really worked reliably.

There are a few powders that now have calamine in it, I frequently will use those as well, reduces itching here and there. Anti-monkey Butt (available at tractor supply or amazon) and Caldesene (I've seen this at walmart and a few pharmacy chains) are probably the main ones I have seen with it. There used to be a cream that AMB made, which was amazing that would basically dry with calamine in it and was what I used to use for years.

Reactions: Edgewater and BigAl2
I second Calmoseptine. I use it daily. I have not had a rash since i started using it.

Reactions: Edgewater
I've been using Desitin Daily Defense for years. When I saw my dermatologist earlier this year, for my first bad case of diaper rash, he recommended I use Desitin. When I told him I use Desitin, he recommended applying it more generously. I buy the 1lb tub and wear a nitrile glove when applying it. Have your diaper ready to put on, as white ointment tends to show up everywhere if not immediately covered.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl2 and Edgewater
I got severe skin irritation about a week ago and was prescribed canisten HC cream seems to have worked a treat, downstairs no longer feels or looks like a raging bonfire

Reactions: BigAl2
Since, you are a DL, you are likely rarely experience the effects of stomach acid at /during the end of the runs. For that specific burning, I would recommend Vaseline and applied it in volume if wearing a disposable diaper. Stomach acid is damaging to exterior skin and protecting your skin from it is very important. If you are using a product to cause the BM, stop using it for at lease several week. If you are wearing underwear, place a pad in that area and use lighter amounts of Vaseline.

If you are fighting a diaper rash, clearly follow the recommendations above.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and cantwait
Edgewater said:
Since, you are a DL, you are likely rarely experience the effects of stomach acid at /during the end of the runs. For that specific burning, I would recommend Vaseline and applied it in volume if wearing a disposable diaper. Stomach acid is damaging to exterior skin and protecting your skin from it is very important. If you are using a product to cause the BM, stop using it for at lease several week. If you are wearing underwear, place a pad in that area and use lighter amounts of Vaseline.

If you are fighting a diaper rash, clearly follow the recommendations above.
Good advice! The prep instructions for my colonoscopy appointment said to liberally apply Vaseline in the perianal and perineal regions to avoid gastrointestinal acid burns due to the laxatives. Of course, this would also be the case for any diarrhea, no matter the cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
Back