inserting boosters in the new abu diapers

winterheart01

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
So when I insert a booster in any diaper I never just put it in the absorbant area as it reduces the free space for the leak guards to do their job.

Instead I make a cut in the plastic backing of the diaper, lift the plastic layer and insert the booster underneath and tape it back up.
For me this has worked really nice and I rarely had leaks this way.

When I tried to do the same to the Peekabu's or ABU Simple Ultra I encoutered difficulties, the plastic backing was glued to a layer of pulp and SAP with very strong hot glue, this (I think) was done to reduce the SAP and pulp particles from breaking apart when wet and / or moving a lot. (and that actually helps btw, that diaper is one of the few that can resist a lot of punishment)

Trying to lift that plastic from the glued layer is a mission impossible with destructive result, trying to cut deeper will reveal a very soft pulp core which may seem an easier target to lift and shove a booster underneath but again this proved to be a miscalculation, the soft pulp is very easily dislocated and I ended up with clumped areas and the other part empty (bald) as a result.....

I was wondering if anyone had any better idea's to insert a booster in those as I find them too thin when dry and not thick enough when wet for my taste, but other than that they really appeal to me so I would love to get the best experience out of them.

Reactions: DiaperedBedwetter1998
I've had disastrous results trying to modify ABU diapers, much like you're describing. Since they have some pretty tall leak guards, I just put the booster in there 'the old fashioned way'. I couldn't bring myself to go cutting up such nice dips.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I thought I'd add my ten cents.
:geek:

I do it in a similar way as described and most of the time I'm wearing a diaper (different types) prepared with a booster this way. Haven't tryed the new abu with this but I am sure it would work as well.

I prepare my diapers as follows:
I do not make a cut in the outside plastic backing however I make a cut in the fabric inside off the diaper, that is above the absorption core of the diaper. I make a cut just between the leak guards in about the middle part of the back end of the diaper (roughly about 10cm from the back end of the diaper, size M). To better seperat the fabric from the diaper core I fold the diaper length wise and gently "rub" the fabric before. I think the fabric in general is not glued to the absorption core and normally comes off easily by this. Then I carefully grab it to make a cut with a sharp scissors. I shove the booster through the cut to the front of the diaper and unfold it there if it is an anatomical booster and not just straight/ squared. When done at the front I do the rest at the back. I do not glue or tape the cut after I'm done and I think it would come off anyway when wet and might itch as well. But gluing or closing the cut is not necessary. The cut is in the back where the diaper sits quite tight to the body and the booster itself siting on top of the absorption core of the diaper holds back the absorption core from getting out of the cut.

As described I do this almost always, probably above a thousand times by now. Normally nothing of the diaper core comes out of the cut and if it does it is still in the diaper. The fit and absorption of a so prepared diaper is perfect for me. I also have the feeling (when comparing to a not prepared diaper that I rarely but sometimes wear) that the booster inside kind of stabilizes the diaper. The core doesn't become loose and staging downwards that much when wet. Also the leak guards do not get affected by this.

Hope the instructions for preparing a diaper this way were clear. If not pls message me.

it's hard for you to put on a diaper, you really have the patience to do so much manipulation. how do you see a solution for you to do the same thing or a equivalent thing Without having to cut the product? what solution could you consider?

brandonwears said:
I've had disastrous results trying to modify ABU diapers, much like you're describing. Since they have some pretty tall leak guards, I just put the booster in there 'the old fashioned way'. I couldn't bring myself to go cutting up such nice dips.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I thought I'd add my ten cents.
:geek:

Unfortunatly I have come to the same conclusion, every attempt was a disaster and felt like I ruined a fine product :(

Toph86 said:
I do it in a similar way as described and most of the time I'm wearing a diaper (different types) prepared with a booster this way. Haven't tryed the new abu with this but I am sure it would work as well.

I prepare my diapers as follows:
I do not make a cut in the outside plastic backing however I make a cut in the fabric inside off the diaper, that is above the absorption core of the diaper. I make a cut just between the leak guards in about the middle part of the back end of the diaper (roughly about 10cm from the back end of the diaper, size M). To better seperat the fabric from the diaper core I fold the diaper length wise and gently "rub" the fabric before. I think the fabric in general is not glued to the absorption core and normally comes off easily by this. Then I carefully grab it to make a cut with a sharp scissors. I shove the booster through the cut to the front of the diaper and unfold it there if it is an anatomical booster and not just straight/ squared. When done at the front I do the rest at the back. I do not glue or tape the cut after I'm done and I think it would come off anyway when wet and might itch as well. But gluing or closing the cut is not necessary. The cut is in the back where the diaper sits quite tight to the body and the booster itself siting on top of the absorption core of the diaper holds back the absorption core from getting out of the cut.

As described I do this almost always, probably above a thousand times by now. Normally nothing of the diaper core comes out of the cut and if it does it is still in the diaper. The fit and absorption of a so prepared diaper is perfect for me. I also have the feeling (when comparing to a not prepared diaper that I rarely but sometimes wear) that the booster inside kind of stabilizes the diaper. The core doesn't become loose and staging downwards that much when wet. Also the leak guards do not get affected by this.

Hope the instructions for preparing a diaper this way were clear. If not pls message me.

I am a bit confuse about the cutting location but it reminded me of this video:
I tried that once but it was way too much work and for most diapers cutting the plastic backing was the best option, except when it's glued tight :)

winterheart01 said:
Unfortunatly I have come to the same conclusion, every attempt was a disaster and felt like I ruined a fine product :(

I am a bit confuse about the cutting location but it reminded me of this video:
I tried that once but it was way too much work and for most diapers cutting the plastic backing was the best option, except when it's glued tight :)

The cutting location is in the back of the diaper, however not where the absorption core starts but a bit further to the middle of the diaper. Take an Abena abri Form M4 or a better dry size M for example. Unfold the diaper an make the cut about 20 cm (not 10 as I wrote above, sry) from the back end between the leak guards.
Just measured and took pictures:
In the first picture you can see where I cutted (about 18cm).
Second is of the unfolded stuffer I use.
Third shoving the stuffer to the front and unfolding the wings inside at the front.
Last the finished prepared diaper with the stuffer also shoved to the back and unfolded wings.

As I have done this several times by now, it takes me less than a minute for one prepared diaper

15498087841781667508039.jpg1549808863149597202271.jpg15498089668541613218219.jpg15498090705671906019598.jpg

Toph86 said:
The cutting location is in the back of the diaper, however not where the absorption core starts but a bit further to the middle of the diaper. Take an Abena abri Form M4 or a better dry size M for example. Unfold the diaper an make the cut about 20 cm (not 10 as I wrote above, sry) from the back end between the leak guards.
Just measured and took pictures:
In the first picture you can see where I cutted (about 18cm).
Second is of the unfolded stuffer I use.
Third shoving the stuffer to the front and unfolding the wings inside at the front.
Last the finished prepared diaper with the stuffer also shoved to the back and unfolded wings.

As I have done this several times by now, it takes me less than a minute for one prepared diaper

View attachment 32570View attachment 32571View attachment 32572View attachment 32573

Awesome, that looks indeed the same way I do but then on the inside (the absorbant side) instead of the plastic one, I will have to try this on an ABU since most of the time, on regular diapers, the plastic comes off the absorbant stuff pretty easy, thats why I chose it, but since this is different for the new ABU's I'll have to try your method, thanks for sharing!

Happy to help, tell me if it worked for the abu

I have never cut or manipulated a diaper in such way. I have put Abena Abri-let boosters/doublers inside the leak guards of an Abena Abri-form M4 without any leaking issues, and this is with peeing more than once throughout the night. I am also a side sleeper and a rolling pin. If it can stand up to that, it can take some abuse. There is no need to go through all that trouble as you try to suggest.

I’ve also used Select brand boosters inside Tranquility ATN the same way (Select is made by Tranquility).

The big “trick” to making them work is really just keeping compatible brands/products together.

Im definitley gonna try this😁... i have issues with Dips leaking when adding boosters so this will more than likely fix that problem. If not then it will be fun to try anyway

The few times that I wear a disposable diaper, if I am going to need extra absorbency, I take a pre-fold baby cloth diaper and use it as a stuffer. That gives me at least 4 more layers of absorbency and as someone previously stated, it gives me much more wearing time, but it does need to be washed after it is used.

Toph86 said:
Happy to help, tell me if it worked for the abu
It does work a lot better, i can easily insert the booster underneath the absorption film.
However i now have the same problem that the booster uses more space inwards, pressing too close to the skin causing rashes when the booster is wet but the padding not enough.

The film that touches the skin is looser due to lifting it which is part of the problem, that's why i prefer putting boosters on the outside end underneath the plastic.

I may have to not use boosters at all when wearing those abu's

No cutting needed for the boosters from Northshore Care because they do have adhesive strip where you peel off the backing and. you can stick the boosters between the leak guards so it’ll stay without shifting.

Back