Initial Primary Care Appointment

winterheart01 said:
With my last cystoscopy I was wearing a pad with underwear over it, simply because it's less "in the way" as a diaper, and he'd probably comment on how thick my diaper is if I were to come in with a betterdry.
But a pad is easy to slide a little away to take a sonar and to remove for a cystoscopy, so during the sonar he quickly lifted the front of the pad to look in it lol, and then proceeded. I was a bit embarrassed then too.

Now after the second sphincter cut I'm going to wear a pad again because it's more practical, even though I'd prefer to wear a diaper but it'd only complicate the tests.
I agree. If the purpose of my appointment was centered on my bladder area, I’d wear a pad or pull-up. That would make it a lot easier.

Babyspace1947 said:
I agree. I had a abdominal ultrasound a couple months back and the techs as how nervous I was with the top of my diaper sticking out. She told me to relax, that she’s seen it all. From people wearing no underwear, men wearing panties, and that diapers are frequent. I guess we make a bigger deal out of them than they do.
It is good you post your experiences like this so others can get a better aspect on any future doctor visits where they may be in their "gear" or something a bit offspec from typical guys' underwear.

Reactions: littledub1955 and BabyHailey1977
JOCKMAN said:
It is good you post your experiences like this so others can get a better aspect on any future doctor visits where they may be in their "gear" or something a bit offspec from typical guys' underwear.
Thank you. There are a lot of people afraid to wear diapers to an appointment, but they shouldn’t be. That’s why I also discuss my public pacifier experiences.

Babyspace1947 said:
Thank you. There are a lot of people afraid to wear diapers to an appointment, but they shouldn’t be.
I just had a doctors appt a while ago and he asked me if I had any questions after he was through. I do not wear my trainers and pp during the day but I did ask him if he knew of any studies done on older adult men having a resurgence of nighttime bw if they had such an issue as a young boy but it went away at puberty. He paused for a minute to think about it and then I added in that my plastic mattress cover did not come off my bed until I was about 12 and though I was not having any major challenges now (I do not call 3 - 4 night wettings of small volume in a year a major challenge) I was trying to think of the future for me and what to expect. He was really nice about it and said he knew of no studies on this but to keep him updated at future visits with my nighttime situation if it becomes notable.

Reactions: BabyHailey1977
JOCKMAN said:
I just had a doctors appt a while ago and he asked me if I had any questions after he was through. I do not wear my trainers and pp during the day but I did ask him if he knew of any studies done on older adult men having a resurgence of nighttime bw if they had such an issue as a young boy but it went away at puberty. He paused for a minute to think about it and then I added in that my plastic mattress cover did not come off my bed until I was about 12 and though I was not having any major challenges now (I do not call 3 - 4 night wettings of small volume in a year a major challenge) I was trying to think of the future for me and what to expect. He was really nice about it and said he knew of no studies on this but to keep him updated at future visits with my nighttime situation if it becomes notable.
When I spoke to the surgeon who removed my cancerous prostate, I told him that I was not worried about the incontinence as I had been wet as a child, not losing the plastic sheet until I was 12 also, and being wet on and off ever since. He was surprised though, most men hate the incontinence as much as losing the erections. He did tell me that I would find it very difficult/impossible to become continent as I had so little control before the operation. I did not tell him I liked the nappies as I could not go that far. Now though I would not hesitate to wear an ABDL nappy to an examination, as various of you have said, it’s just an underwear choice and life is too short to wear dull undies!

Reactions: JOCKMAN and BabyHailey1977
Teddy02 said:
not worried about the incontinence as I had been wet as a child, not losing the plastic sheet until I was 12 also, and being wet on and off ever since. He was surprised though, most men hate the incontinence as much as losing the erections. He did tell me that I would find it very difficult/impossible to become continent as I had so little control before the operation. I did not tell him I liked the nappies as I could not go that far. Now though I would not hesitate to wear an ABDL nappy to an examination, as various of you have said, it’s just an underwear choice and life is too short to wear dull undies!
I would hate being incontinent also but if night time enuresis (NE) ever comes back to me in a heavy way I would much rather wear solid protection than wake up in wet sheets. That is my most disappointing memory about off / on NE was waking up in wet sheets and being cold. Once diapers / training underwear / plastic pants were used more often, I became more accustomed to the big advantage of getting a complete night's sleep and comfort.

Reactions: BabyHailey1977
JOCKMAN said:
I would hate being incontinent also but if night time enuresis (NE) ever comes back to me in a heavy way I would much rather wear solid protection than wake up in wet sheets. That is my most disappointing memory about off / on NE was waking up in wet sheets and being cold. Once diapers / training underwear / plastic pants were used more often, I became more accustomed to the big advantage of getting a complete night's sleep and comfort.
You are right Jockman, I suffered horribly when I was a child. My mother took away the nappies when I was 3 in the thought that if I was uncomfortable being wet, I would stop wetting the bed. It did not work and at 10 years old I asked to have nappies back just so I could get a good night’s sleep. That was turned down and I would just wet every night, and I don’t believe I ever slept very well. I wet at boarding school as well, not a good thing for the self esteem. It was not until I lived on my own and could take control with nappies (I was 17!) that life became as normal as it could.

• Wow
Reactions: Aby and JOCKMAN
Teddy02 said:
You are right Jockman, My mother took away the nappies when I was 3 in the thought that if I was uncomfortable being wet, I would stop wetting the bed. It did not work
I recall my mom telling me I was potty trained about age 2 or 3. I think they tried the age 3 training of me waking up in wet sheets may deter a youth from having too many nighttime accidents. However sometime around age 4 though I was wearing plastic underpants over my training underwear at night. I had some dry spells but I think my parents knew I would do better getting a good night's sleep and just adjust to my protection each year as needed. In fact, I recall at age 5 just being in training underwear at night but at a church camp after wetting my sleeping bag 3 nights straight, my dad had me step into some plastic underpants again. I didn't wan to wear them but waking up in a dry sleeping bag the rest of the trip with only wet underwear was a very comforting feeling.

I also think my older brother had off / on bw at night (I inherited his training underwear and pp as I got older) and our parents probably thought it was OK if we both wore protection at night together so he would not be embarrassed as the older brother. I honestly cannot recall ever seeing him in his protection that much since he wore his pj bottoms each night except for maybe when he was 7 or so and one summer night he came out to get something and he only had a tee shirt on and his clear pp showing. But I did not think much about it as I wore pp also and I thought it was normal for young boys to wear protection at night even if only having a few accidents a year.

Reactions: Teddy02
JOCKMAN said:
I recall my mom telling me I was potty trained about age 2 or 3. I think they tried the age 3 training of me waking up in wet sheets may deter a youth from having too many nighttime accidents. However sometime around age 4 though I was wearing plastic underpants over my training underwear at night. I had some dry spells but I think my parents knew I would do better getting a good night's sleep and just adjust to my protection each year as needed. In fact, I recall at age 5 just being in training underwear at night but at a church camp after wetting my sleeping bag 3 nights straight, my dad had me step into some plastic underpants again. I didn't wan to wear them but waking up in a dry sleeping bag the rest of the trip with only wet underwear was a very comforting feeling.

I also think my older brother had off / on bw at night (I inherited his training underwear and pp as I got older) and our parents probably thought it was OK if we both wore protection at night together so he would not be embarrassed as the older brother. I honestly cannot recall ever seeing him in his protection that much since he wore his pj bottoms each night except for maybe when he was 7 or so and one summer night he came out to get something and he only had a tee shirt on and his clear pp showing. But I did not think much about it as I wore pp also and I thought it was normal for young boys to wear protection at night even if only having a few accidents a year.
I might have felt better about the bedwetting if I had even known anyone else that did it, but alas ... I only ever had one ‘sleepover’ and wet the bed, never to be invited back, we rarely went on holiday except to a friend’s house where the plastic sheet was put on the bed the same as home. I don’t think much of my folks parenting skills!!! It is very comforting to hear of the trials and tribulations that everybody else had to suffer though.

Teddy02 said:
I might have felt better about the bedwetting if I had even known anyone else that did it, but alas ... I only ever had one ‘sleepover’ and wet the bed, never to be invited back, we rarely went on holiday except to a friend’s house where the plastic sheet was put on the bed the same as home. I don’t think much of my folks parenting skills!!! It is very comforting to hear of the trials and tribulations that everybody else had to suffer though.
Perhaps you should give your parents a bit of a break. In years past they were under a lot of societal and family pressure to turn out those perfect kids all the TV families paraded before them and Dr. Spock told them they could raise if they just bought his books. Of course that was on our side of the Pond, but I’m sure that they had their equivalent in Britain. Stay padded, it’s finally your choice now.

Teddy02 said:
I agree, if parents would have noted to each other about their children having enuresis at night it would have been more socially rewarding for those young kids to sleepover together. But maybe parents thought having one bw at night is enough and two could make cleanup even more of a workload? I am just guessing at this but it still seems odd to me that in the neighborhood, bw at night was just not discussed. I do not necessarily think most families were overly ashamed (a lot of young kids have accidents at night - it is not that uncommon). I saw several laundry baskets at friend's houses with pp in them over my youth age but no one ever talked about it.

Zeke said:
Perhaps you should give your parents a bit of a break. In years past they were under a lot of societal and family pressure to turn out those perfect kids all the TV families paraded before them and Dr. Spock told them they could raise if they just bought his books. Of course that was on our side of the Pond, but I’m sure that they had their equivalent in Britain. Stay padded, it’s finally your choice now.
I was born in 1949, central London. Things like ‘parenting skills’ were not main stream conversation and we did not have tv until 1960! Life was much tougher and Spock was considered a bit of a crank, but my parents were very ‘hands off’ in the child rearing. My father worked all day and wrote books in the evening, so we were left to my mother’s care or (mostly) on our own. The whole bw thing helped make me like my own company, with which I am very happy!!

@Teddy02 The whole bw thing helped make me like my own company, with which I am very happy!!

I am glad you are happy with yourself. I was lucky in that my nighttime challenges off / on from age 4 - 12 did not rollover to my daytime adventures with friends on the block. I fortunately had no issues during the day but I bet several kids my age in my school did; we just did not know about it. I did see a kid in 1st grade(?) bend over at the play ground and his plastic underpants showed. For a brief moment I thought about telling someone of my visual verification but then realized that other kids would probably make fun of him so I let it go. Too busy playing tag or some other game with the other kids.

Teddy02 said:
I might have felt better about the bedwetting if I had even known anyone else that did it, but alas ... I only ever had one ‘sleepover’ and wet the bed, never to be invited back, we rarely went on holiday except to a friend’s house where the plastic sheet was put on the bed the same as home. It is very comforting to hear of the trials and tribulations that everybody else had to suffer though.
My very similar story Teddy02. After being dry for over a year at age 7 I was invited to a friend's house for my first sleepover. My previous years from age 4 - 6 and bw never crossed my mind as I thought at age 8 I was over it. WRONG! That Saturday night I woke up in the guest bed with a large pee circle that stretched from my thighs to my lower chest and pjs and underwear quite soaked. I quietly got out of bed and changed into my jeans and tee shirt and slept against the wall with about an 8 - 10" space width all night. The next morning their family had gone to church and I was just with my friend's mom. As she packed up my overnight bag she must have noted my wet items I stuffed in there and I blurted something about being sorry I wet the bed. She nicely said something about accidents happen, but I then made the off-hand remark that I had plastic underpants I could have worn but my mom put them away somewhere a year ago (that's right, blame mom! - yeesh). My friend's mom made a very quick statement that next time I slept over I could wear one of my friend's pp that were in a box in the attic. :oops: I do not know which surprised me more: the idea I would be allowed to sleepover again after wetting their bed, or me actually having to wear my friend's pp that he no longer needed, but I did! Even more surprising was my parents never discussed this incident with me and I could not believe my friend's mom did not mention this to them.

Several months later my mom told me I was sleeping over their house again because they were gong out of town with my dad's job. That Friday night my friend's mom did slip on me some light blue pp over my training underwear and I made some weak excuse about not having an accident since the last time I slept over so maybe I did not have to wear it. She thought it best I do. We were both wrong, that Friday night I wet heavily to the point of leaking out the top and leg openings of my pp. I was distraught the next morning since this was the only protection I have ever known and now at age 8 I was beyond these undergarments helping me 100%.

I wrote in more details about this in a previous post some time ago but that Saturday night I had to wear a full diaper and large pp and though vey humiliated I slept well and with a soaked diaper the next morning, I was actually relieved I did not not leak and had a dry bed and pjs. My friend never said anything about it nor his siblings to me thankfully, but some of them must have known. Some comforting words from my friend's mother instilled into me right there of using protection at night for the over all good and this helped me out when I went to college and needed to make the same decision again due to bw and wearing adult diapers and pp.

Needless to say I did not have any sleepovers from age 8 - 12. Too bad you and I did not live on the same street Teddy02, we could have easily noted each other's enuresis and said "so what?, no big deal" and had a great sleepover.:)

JOCKMAN said:
My very similar story Teddy02. After being dry for over a year at age 7 I was invited to a friend's house for my first sleepover. My previous years from age 4 - 6 and bw never crossed my mind as I thought at age 8 I was over it. WRONG! That Saturday night I woke up in the guest bed with a large pee circle that stretched from my thighs to my lower chest and pjs and underwear quite soaked. I quietly got out of bed and changed into my jeans and tee shirt and slept against the wall with about an 8 - 10" space width all night. The next morning their family had gone to church and I was just with my friend's mom. As she packed up my overnight bag she must have noted my wet items I stuffed in there and I blurted something about being sorry I wet the bed. She nicely said something about accidents happen, but I then made the off-hand remark that I had plastic underpants I could have worn but my mom put them away somewhere a year ago (that's right, blame mom! - yeesh). My friend's mom made a very quick statement that next time I slept over I could wear one of my friend's pp that were in a box in the attic. :oops: I do not know which surprised me more: the idea I would be allowed to sleepover again after wetting their bed, or me actually having to wear my friend's pp that he no longer needed, but I did! Even more surprising was my parents never discussed this incident with me and I could not believe my friend's mom did not mention this to them.

Several months later my mom told me I was sleeping over their house again because they were gong out of town with my dad's job. That Friday night my friend's mom did slip on me some light blue pp over my training underwear and I made some weak excuse about not having an accident since the last time I slept over so maybe I did not have to wear it. She thought it best I do. We were both wrong, that Friday night I wet heavily to the point of leaking out the top and leg openings of my pp. I was distraught the next morning since this was the only protection I have ever known and now at age 8 I was beyond these undergarments helping me 100%.

I wrote in more details about this in a previous post some time ago but that Saturday night I had to wear a full diaper and large pp and though vey humiliated I slept well and with a soaked diaper the next morning, I was actually relieved I did not not leak and had a dry bed and pjs. My friend never said anything about it nor his siblings to me thankfully, but some of them must have known. Some comforting words from my friend's mother instilled into me right there of using protection at night for the over all good and this helped me out when I went to college and needed to make the same decision again due to bw and wearing adult diapers and pp.

Needless to say I did not have any sleepovers from age 8 - 12. Too bad you and I did not live on the same street Teddy02, we could have easily noted each other's enuresis and said "so what?, no big deal" and had a great sleepover.:)
I would love to have had a bw friend! Maybe I would not have felt such a humiliated freak! But I knew of no one, although I did show a home made nappy (bin liner and towel probably) to a friend but he was not interested, I guess I was about 10/11. On holiday the plastic sheet followed me everywhere! How interesting that mothers kept the ‘no longer needed’ nappies/pp in the loft and not throw them away, maybe they anticipated a future need. I’ll go back and read your old posts about college days. I am still intrigued about how others handled their adolescent wettings, now I don’t feel so unusual!

Reactions: JOCKMAN
Babyspace1947 said:
I have a new Primary Care Provider which means that I also have an initial appointment set up. On the intake sheet, I entered that I have been diagnosed with Urge IC, and that I wear protection. I’m the type of person who doesn’t like taking medication and I’m nervous to see how the new doctor handles that I’m perfectly content in diapers.

Who else has explained this to their doctor? How did they handle the situation?
I don't like taking medications either unless they're necessary. I'm due to see my first primary doctor soon. I don't want anything to help me to wet less because I love my diapers and I never want to give them up. No medications for me for this. Period.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and BabyHailey1977
littledub1955 said:
I don't like taking medications either unless they're necessary. I'm due to see my first primary doctor soon. I don't want anything to help me to wet less because I love my diapers and I never want to give them up. No medications for me for this. Period.
It was nice because the doctor asked me if I’m happy with the way I’m dealing with it. I told her I was and she only told me to keep on top on my skin health.

Reactions: littledub1955
Well, my doctor knows that I prefer to wear diapers. She is so okay with it, and told me that if I have any questions to let her know. She heard my diaper as I walked in, and that was the icebreaker. She’s an incredible doctor.

Reactions: littledub1955
I have a question. I will be seeing my PCM soon to discuss a referral. If I tell her that I have a diaper rash that desitin isn’t helping, will she want to look at it? It’s not red, just itches a lot. I heard there is prescription creame that would clear it up.

Thanks.

Good thread. I have the same situation of a new provider next Monday. I don't generally need diapers but sometimes I have had a #2 accident and I wear a disposable every day to safeguard against an accident. I have a spare in my briefcase in the event of it and have had to use it. So I prefer to put on my diaper when I get ready for work. But my appointment is in the morning first thing and it's not real doable to go back home to put it on. So I was considering weather to wear it there. But not knowing what it is going to entail, I'm kind of in a quandary. Should I explain all of this to the new female doctor? Should I just take my chances with the day and going without? In any case, whatever I decide, I'll need to figure it out by next Monday!

Reactions: Subtlerustle
Back