Im on an adventure

fleckothefennec

I am fennec hear me scree
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Finally a little sunshine, yesterday I headed out in my little speedboat "tawny vixen" to the other side of the island I live on. My 33' sailboat "impulse" has been moored at a dock there for the last few years. Now that I have installed a mooring in the bay where my property is I'm finally going to bring her home. Today I am suiting up in my wet suit to free dive the hull the clean the seaweed off the propeller and then visit with the rookery of seals that lives close by. I lived on Impulse for four years and I have missed her since I moved onto my off grid property. Tomorrow I set sail, it's not a long voyage but a treacherous one. There are two major current events I need to time to get home, one called Yuculta rapids is right out front of the dock, current can reach 12 knots and create 5' whirlpools. A little farther down is a spot called devils hole where during max flood a whirlpool forms that is 50' across and 20' deep🙀 the last portion of the journey brings me through a tight passage called hole in the wall as it's basically a long thin hole between two large islands with steep shores. The exit of hole in the way has violent upwells and turbulence during max tidal exchanges. Just down from there is another tight passage which creates a standing wave 10' tall, people come to surf kayak it. Water there is so restricted that you actually travel uphill on the water as its not able to level out. After that I'm home free and into Owen Bay. With skill and courage I can navigate these in my speed boat as it stays on top of the water and can quickly be maneuvered. This is in no way possible with Impulse as she is a semi full displacement hull, I will need to carefully time all these currents tomeet them at slack. Also, I I drove here in the Tawny Vixen I must now tow her behind the sailboat which will slow me down some.

Hope you enjoyed this, leave a comment if you would like some updates 🦊😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220224-070657_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224-070657_Gallery.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: BeTrue, Kittyinpink, sissygirlpink and 4 others
This is awesome! I love hearing about sailing and being on the water, as I am a diver myself! I would love to hear more of your exploits.

• Love
Reactions: GatoChihuahua, LittleBabyJake and fleckothefennec
Elisa said:
This is awesome! I love hearing about sailing and being on the water, as I am a diver myself! I would love to hear more of your exploits.
Thanks 😁

The diving here is awesome, all that current brings a ton of diverse life. I'm on Sonora island British Columbia, check it out online, very beautiful and remote.

Reactions: Kittyinpink
fleckothefennec said:
Thanks 😁

The diving here is awesome, all that current brings a ton of diverse life. I'm on Sonora island British Columbia, check it out online, very beautiful and remote.
I have plenty of friends that dive that area and they cannot praise it enough. I have never been, personally, but it is definitely on the list to get to.

Reactions: fleckothefennec
Would love to hear more. I have a 29’ power boat and sail small boats (Hobie Cats). I have a lot of respect for the elements out on the water. Things change so damn fast.

im really keen on getting a boat at the moment, something big enough to stay on overnight and go along the coast. i might change jobs soon and move a down the coast a bit to an area called woodbridge that is basically a big marina and iv seen some beautiful live aboard boats for sale. XD

Elisa said:

Also a diver.

It sounds like a good movie script if I'm being honest ☺️ love to hear more!

foxcub said:
im really keen on getting a boat at the moment, something big enough to stay on overnight and go along the coast. i might change jobs soon and move a down the coast a bit to an area called woodbridge that is basically a big marina and iv seen some beautiful live aboard boats for sale. XD
That's awesome, good luck to you😌 living aboard is great, I lived aboard for 13 years on five different sailboats before buying my off grid property.

• Love
Reactions: foxcub and LittleBabyJake
I would love to read an update on your adventure. I think I will just stick to the barrier islands of the Carolinas in my 18 ft center console. We don't have to deal with whirlpools here. But I know what you're talkin about with the current that exchanges around the islands and threw the creeks. A nice-looking area can kick up some pretty big standing waves when the current changes positions. Good luck on your sail.

Well I made it back to my home and had a good trip.

I did a short free dive to clean the kelp off the prop but unfortunately I forgot my dive weights so had a really hard time getting down any depth, I ended up having to crawl upside down along the hull so I wouldn't float back to the surface 😅

I met a nice older couple from Las Vegas on a sailboat and dove their hull to free up their speed wheel.

Then one of my neighbors showed up who I don't like (there's very few people I don't like) he was really mean to me the first time I met him, like really mean. I decided to be my normal nice self regardless and say hello. I ended up fixing the digital gauge on his boat then we got kind of drunk and hung out on the dock with his cute doggies. When he left he insisted on hugging me and now we are friends 😁 made me so happy

Early in the morning I left to catch the slack out front of the marina, it was so foggy I had to navigate on instruments alone. I made good time and as I traveled through hole in the wall I decided to try the second current event even though it would not be slack. I figured as I would be opposing it if it couldn't punch through I could just let it wash me back to where I could anchor and wait it out. I pushed hard but could not break through the "hole in the wall" which is maybe 200' across. No worries, I went and anchored, had some lunch and checked over the engine. At slack I made it through with no issues and continued around the corner to Owen Bay where my mooring is located.

All went well and now I'm stoked to plan for a longer trip in around a month to the Broughton archipelago 😁

Here's a picture of Impulse at her new mooring and where I anchored waiting for slack, you can see my speed boat tawny vixen in the background

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624-090608_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-090608_Gallery.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220624-090640_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-090640_Gallery.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Kittyinpink and perlFerret
Elisa said:
Thanks for your interest, I have posted an update 🙂

Tomtomthedl said:
I would love to read an update on your adventure. I think I will just stick to the barrier islands of the Carolinas in my 18 ft center console. We don't have to deal with whirlpools here. But I know what you're talkin about with the current that exchanges around the islands and threw the creeks. A nice-looking area can kick up some pretty big standing waves when the current changes positions. Good luck on your sail.
I have posted an update 🙂

foxcub said:
I have posted an update 🙂

Subtlerustle said:
Would love to hear more. I have a 29’ power boat and sail small boats (Hobie Cats). I have a lot of respect for the elements out on the water. Things change so damn fast.
Thanks for your interest, I have posted an update 🙂

fleckothefennec said:
Finally a little sunshine, yesterday I headed out in my little speedboat "tawny vixen" to the other side of the island I live on. My 33' sailboat "impulse" has been moored at a dock there for the last few years. Now that I have installed a mooring in the bay where my property is I'm finally going to bring her home. Today I am suiting up in my wet suit to free dive the hull the clean the seaweed off the propeller and then visit with the rookery of seals that lives close by. I lived on Impulse for four years and I have missed her since I moved onto my off grid property. Tomorrow I set sail, it's not a long voyage but a treacherous one. There are two major current events I need to time to get home, one called Yuculta rapids is right out front of the dock, current can reach 12 knots and create 5' whirlpools. A little farther down is a spot called devils hole where during max flood a whirlpool forms that is 50' across and 20' deep🙀 the last portion of the journey brings me through a tight passage called hole in the wall as it's basically a long thin hole between two large islands with steep shores. The exit of hole in the way has violent upwells and turbulence during max tidal exchanges. Just down from there is another tight passage which creates a standing wave 10' tall, people come to surf kayak it. Water there is so restricted that you actually travel uphill on the water as its not able to level out. After that I'm home free and into Owen Bay. With skill and courage I can navigate these in my speed boat as it stays on top of the water and can quickly be maneuvered. This is in no way possible with Impulse as she is a semi full displacement hull, I will need to carefully time all these currents tomeet them at slack. Also, I I drove here in the Tawny Vixen I must now tow her behind the sailboat which will slow me down some.

Hope you enjoyed this, leave a comment if you would like some updates 🦊😁
Sailing is so romantic and that’s with the big ‘R’.

But there is a lack of appreciation of the skill, in depth knowledge of the channels and currents involved.

Your post shows a real grasp and understanding of these and I commend you.

Because of these you are truly able to enjoy the freedom and isolation that the open water gives you.

Forgive me but I am envious, you have the skills and abilities to be a free spirit, go where you want, stay where you want.

Enjoy.

Jenny xx

❤️

• Love
Reactions: Kittyinpink and fleckothefennec
T
SissyJenny2 said:
Sailing is so romantic and that’s with the big ‘R’.

But there is a lack of appreciation of the skill, in depth knowledge of the channels and currents involved.

Your post shows a real grasp and understanding of these and I commend you.

Because of these you are truly able to enjoy the freedom and isolation that the open water gives you.

Forgive me but I am envious, you have the skills and abilities to be a free spirit, go where you want, stay where you want.

Enjoy.

Jenny xx

❤️
Thanks so much 🙏

I have aways been the type of fox that's needs to live free, I lived aboard sailboats for over 13 years before getting my offgrid property. Sailing and working as I pleased.

It truly is a beautiful life out here and I'm grateful everyday that I am able to be part of it😌

• Love
Reactions: Subtlerustle, Kittyinpink and sissygirlpink
fleckothefennec said:
T

Thanks so much 🙏

I have aways been the type of fox that's needs to live free, I lived aboard sailboats for over 13 years before getting my offgrid property. Sailing and working as I pleased.

It truly is a beautiful life out here and I'm grateful everyday that I am able to be part of it😌
Wow. I am glad for you , and that your the type of fox that can truly appreciate the beautiful world you live in. You have serious skills! And you use them well. I am impressed. Keep living well Flecko ! Your life style is an inspiration!

Reactions: fleckothefennec and sissygirlpink
Hey Flecko, how do you like that Magma bbq? I’ve been thinking about adding one to mine on the swim platform.

Back