If anybody has any questions relating to coding or computer problems, feel free to message me!

SwedishAMAZING

Please forgive me, I'm swedish
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
Im very happy that there is a computer section on here! I have been working with computers for mpst of my life, and i would be more than happy to help anyone with anything!

• Love
Reactions: Woncrinklz and AComputerGuy
I actually do need some assistance on this🙀

Are you familiar with raspberry pi and python coding?

Reactions: Woncrinklz and SwedishAMAZING
Out of interest, what role do you have for your position in the game company?

Im a programmer but i also do some freelance stuff

fleckothefennec said:
I actually do need some assistance on this🙀

Are you familiar with raspberry pi and python coding?
I am not familiar with python, but i am currently researching it

Reactions: fleckothefennec
I do fullstack web dev, and make games with java or Javascript

SwedishAMAZING said:
I am not familiar with python, but i am currently researching it
I'm thinking about taking the course python has online. One of my off grid neighbors has a few raspberry controlling cameras etc and they are programmed with python. Some are no longer working so they need to be replaced and programming re installed o them.

Is it possible to just slave the program off the old raspberry and install on the new one?

FYI I am a mechanical definitely not a computer guy.

fleckothefennec said:
I'm thinking about taking the course python has online. One of my off grid neighbors has a few raspberry controlling cameras etc and they are programmed with python. Some are no longer working so they need to be replaced and programming re installed o them.

Is it possible to just slave the program off the old raspberry and install on the new one?

Hmm, maybe. If you are working to learn programming as a career or a side job, learn android development. This would mean Java, kotlin, and xml. Android will get you furthest :) i do recommend learning python or other languages in the future, as python will start to become more and more popular, but for now, stick with what will get you further in the meantime

fleckothefennec said:

I think that you can program custom firmware onto raspberry pi. There is an SD slot where I can switch between a RaspberryOS card and a card that has firmware for integration with a microcontroller called GoGo Board, which is somewhat similar to Arduino.

electricBread said:
I think that you can program custom firmware onto raspberry pi. There is an SD slot where I can switch between a RaspberryOS card and a card that has firmware for integration with a microcontroller called GoGo Board, which is somewhat
the Raspberry Pi Foundation have released an easy way to set up your SD Card. It's called the New Out Of Box Software (or NOOBS for short) and provides a really easy way to install Raspberry Pi distributions. Be warned, however, that it is a 1 GB download - if you have a limit on what you are allowed to download, follow the instructions below, as the other images are around 500 MB.

1. Download NOOBS from the raspberrypi.org downloads page
  2. Insert a (4 GB+) SD Card into your computer
    • If you want to save space on the SD Card, you can delete some of the images inside the os folder in the NOOBS zip file that you don't want to use.
  3. Format the disk
    • Windows
    • Download and install the SD Association's Formatting tool from https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/
    • Open the Application you have just installed
    • Set "FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT" to ON in the Options menu.
    • Make sure you have selected the Drive your SD Card is inserted in
    • Click "Format"
    • Mac
    • Download and install the SD Association's Formatting tools from https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_mac/
    • Select "Overwrite format"
    • Make sure you have selected your SD Card, and not something else
    • Click "Format"
    • Linux
    • Use gparted (or the command-line version parted if you prefer), if you don't have it, install it as you usually would.
    • Format the entire disk as FAT32 (FAT16 will not work! Make sure you select the correct disk!)
  4. Extract the file you downloaded in Step 1
  5. Copy the files you just extracted to your SD Card (see below on flashing your SD card)
Not all monitors work with NOOBS straight away. If your monitor is one of those that doesn't work, press the Number buttons 1-4 until you see what you want.

1. Default HDMI Mode
  2. HDMI Safe Mode - Use this if Default (1) doesn't work and you cannot see anything
  3. Composite PAL Mode - Use this or 4. if you are using the yellow and black outputs on the opposite side to the HDMI output
  4. Composite NTSC Mode

Using the Win32DiskImager program​

1. Download the distribution from the raspberrypi.org downloads page or from a mirror or torrent. Make sure the distribution is for the Raspberry Pi, as others will not work. Usually these are zipped (compressed) files ending in .zip or .gz (something like "distribution-name.zip").
  2. Extract the image file from the downloaded .zip file, so you now have "distribution-name.img".
  3. Insert the SD card into your SD card reader and check what drive letter it was assigned. You can easily see the drive letter (for example G:) by looking in the left column of Windows Explorer. You can use the SD Card slot (if you have one) or a cheap Adapter in a USB slot.
  4. Download the Win32DiskImager utility (it is also a zip file). You can run this from a USB drive.
    Win32DiskImager screen
  5. Extract the executable from the zip file and run the Win32DiskImager utility; you may need to run the utility as Administrator! Right-click on the file, and select 'Run as Administrator'
  6. Select the image file you extracted above.
  7. Select the drive letter of the SD card in the device box. Be careful to select the correct drive; if you get the wrong one you can destroy your data on the computer's hard disk! If you are using an SD Card slot in your computer (if you have one) and can't see the drive in the Win32DiskImager window, try using a cheap Adapter in a USB slot.
  8. Click Write and wait for the write to complete.
  9. Exit the imager and eject the SD card.
  10. You are now ready to plug the card into your Raspberry Pi. See RPi_Hardware_Basic_Setup for the other things you need.
In Windows, the SD card will appear only to have a fairly small size once written - about 55 to 75 MB. This is because most of the card has a partition that is formatted for the Linux operating system that the Raspberry Pi uses which is not visible in Windows. If you don't see this small directory with files such as kernel.img then the copy may not have worked correctly.

Using flashnul (if Win32DiskImager isn't successful)​

You may not be able to choose the device in Win32DiskImager on some notebooks so this is a different way to achieve the same thing on a Windows machine.

• Download the distribution from the | raspberrypi.org downloads page or from a mirror or torrent. Make sure the distribution is for the Raspberry Pi, as others will not work. Usually these are zipped (compressed) files ending in .zip or .gz (something like "distribution-name.zip").
  • Extract the image file from the downloaded .zip file, so you now have "distribution-name.img".
  • Insert the SD card into your SD card reader and check what drive letter it was assigned. You can easily see the drive letter (for example G:) by looking in the left column of Windows Explorer. You can use an SD Card slot in your computer (if you have one) or a cheap Adapter in a USB slot.
  • Download the flashnul software from http://shounen.ru/soft/flashnul/index.html ; here is the English Translated version with a link to instructions (also translated)
  • Download the latest version. At the time of writing it was flashnul-1rc1.
  • Extract the application from the archive.
  • Click Start button > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt, right click on it and Run as Administrator.
  • Run flashnul with argument "-p":
C:\flashnul\flashnul.exe -p

• Flashnul will tell you something like this (it should be different, as it depends on the drives on your machine):
Available physical drives:
0 size = 250059350016 (232 Gb)
1 size = 1990197248 (1898 Mb)

Available logical disks:
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\

Press ENTER to exit.

• Use the Load option of flashnul to put the image file on the SD Card. Make sure that you use the correct drive letter for the SD Card as that drive will be overwritten!
C:\flashnul\flashnul.exe E: -L C:\temp\distribution-name.img

Where C:\flashnul\flashnul.exe is the location of the flashnul program; E: is the drive you want to overwrite, and C:\temp\distribution-name.img is the location of the .img file.

• Flashnul will give you a device summary and a caution message. Check the information to make sure you have selected the correct device, then type yes and press enter.
  • If you get an access denied error, make sure to close all explorer windows or folders open for the device, then try re-plugging the SD card.

Holy crap, i hope this helps :)

SwedishAMAZING said:
Holy crap, i hope this helps :)
you could have posted a link to the article... -_- lol

also FYI I used BalenaEtcher to burn the SD cards.
fleckothefennec said:
I'm thinking about taking the course python has online. One of my off grid neighbors has a few raspberry controlling cameras etc and they are programmed with python.
1. It's good to know python since it's so convenient for many things. From a scientific perspective, python is not good for calculation-heavy code written in python (meaning that it doesn't include C-compiled libraries, which are faster). However, for people who use computers a lot, it's very useful to know.
2. I'm not certain, but I imagine that those raspberry pi's have python-running firmware. I don't know the specifics, like whether the python code is precompiled and uploaded to firmware, or whether it's like Arduino where you can plug into a computer and use a specific IDE. One thing I am more certain of is
electricBread said:
I think that you can program custom firmware onto raspberry pi. There is an SD slot where I can switch between a RaspberryOS card and a card that has firmware for integration with a microcontroller called GoGo Board, which is somewhat similar to Arduino.
Honestly, if I were in your position, and I assume that the cameras were manufactured and are being used for security, opt for an app that is compatible with the cameras. I would only resort to using python and building my own stuff if the cameras were that out-of-date or if the cameras are being used for something else.
Please keep in mind that my advice is anecdotal.

Last edited:
electricBread said:
you could have posted a link to the article... -_- lol

also FYI I used BalenaEtcher to burn the SD cards.

1. It's good to know python since it's so convenient for many things. From a scientific perspective, python is not good for calculation-heavy code written in python (meaning that it doesn't include C-compiled libraries, which are faster). However, for people who use computers a lot, it's very useful to know.
2. I'm not certain, but I imagine that those raspberry pi's have python-running firmware. I don't know the specifics, like whether the python code is precompiled and uploaded to firmware, or whether it's like Arduino where you can plug into a computer and use a specific IDE. One thing I am more certain of is

Honestly, if I were in your position, and I assume that the cameras were manufactured and are being used for security, opt for an app that is compatible with the cameras. I would only resort to using python and building my own stuff if the cameras were that out-of-date or if the cameras are being used for something else.
Yes, but this he is trying to learn how do these things for himself. I think experimentation is the best way to learn.

Reactions: electricBread
SwedishAMAZING said:
Yes, but this he is trying to learn how do these things for himself. I think experimentation is the best way to learn.
all i'm trying to say is basically that python is good to know regardless, and the problem might have a more elegant solution

electricBread said:
all i'm trying to say is basically that python is good to know regardless, and the problem might have a more elegant solution
Very true. I do believe python isnt where one should start programming. Starting with android dev is better, at least for a beginner. It will teach you java, kotlin, and xml. Android is also very widely used. This is all my opinion of course.

Im only a game developer lol, i know not what i do :)

know anything about SIMPL+ ?
is learning it realistic for someone who has no background in programming?
for work we pay insane amounts for crestron programming (well over £1k a day) and id love to be able to get some of that sweet sweet cash for myself. XD

SwedishAMAZING said:
Very true. I do believe python isnt where one should start programming. Starting with android dev is better, at least for a beginner. It will teach you java, kotlin, and xml. Android is also very widely used. This is all my opinion of course.

Im only a game developer lol, i know not what i do :)
Personally, I started learning coding Processing JavaScript from Khan Academy. I actually meant to say that python is a valid place to start because the syntax is easy and the compiler allows for a lot of shorthand notation that is easily understandable. For example, AP ComSci Principles in high school primarily teaches python. I think that python is very useful for writing and executing mathematical simulations, as a more practical example.
I get that game devs would rather opt for a lower-level language, but someone who isn't probably would find more use in python.

Last edited:
foxcub said:
know anything about SIMPL+ ?
is learning it realistic for someone who has no background in programming?
for work we pay insane amounts for crestron programming (well over £1k a day) and id love to be able to get some of that sweet sweet cash for myself. XD
Hmmmmm bad mindset already lol

Never work for money, especially in this industry.

simpl+ is easy to start learning, but it can get difficult later on, as some things are unclear and wotn explain easily.

Im not sure on how high the demand is for it.

I make 90k yearly for what i do, plus 20k side cash for other things i do.

I think if you want to start out eith absolutely no prior knowledge, learn html, css and Javascript, and php. I learned all three by the age of 14, and had my first website online at 15.

Those languages are very good to start out with, as they are very versatile and fun to use.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: foxcub and electricBread
Back