SparkyDog

Full Time U-IC DL
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
*Mini rant*
Needing to use baby powder with every change one thing that frustrating to me is how light baby powder is.
Slightest breeze it blows away
Applying it to your skin makes it fall off very quickly
especially while standing
I wish it was a little heavier or stuck a little better

sigh

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
I suppose if it were less light, it could not be applied as easily, as its application is essentially also kind of "blowing it away".

Theoretically, you could try barium sulfate powder as a substitute, which would have approx. three times (4.4g/cm³) the density of starch powder (1.5 g/cm³ or less, depending on source). It would be the safest and heaviest alternative I can think of. Although barium is a heavy metal, its sulfate is virtually insoluble and can in no way chemically interact with your body - for instance, it is swallowed in huge amounts as a contrast medium before intestine X-rays. I have no idea, though, whether it would work as desired.

• Wow
ElPulpo said:
I suppose if it were less light, it could not be applied as easily, as its application is essentially also kind of "blowing it away".

Theoretically, you could try barium sulfate powder as a substitute, which would have approx. three times (4.4g/cm³) the density of starch powder (1.5 g/cm³ or less, depending on source). It would be the safest and heaviest alternative I can think of. Although barium is a heavy metal, its sulfate is virtually insoluble and can in no way chemically interact with your body - for instance, it is swallowed in huge amounts as a contrast medium before intestine X-rays. I have no idea, though, whether it would work as desired.
I've had barium swallows before
when it reacts with moisture it fizzles
also can't just pick that up at your local grocery store
but i do wonder if different brands are different in how fine they are

In the World of Corn Starch there are sever speciality powders that have a heavier feel to them, but it maybe because they have even a finer grind to them, which causes them to fall heavier, being a bit more clumpier? Or, they have a slightly higher moisture contain. One is Monkey Butt - Baby and the other is Caldesence - Baby. Monkey Butt is pink in color because of one of the ingredients used the other is white. I use each from time to time, but do not find them as a clear alternative to J&J.

Check your water spray bottoms for one that has a 'mist' position that creates a find mist which lightly falls if misted into the air above oneself. You might be able to mist where you what to powder. Haven't tried it, for that use.

Reactions: AttilaThePun
Hey @Edgewater thanks for the tips
ill try anti monkey butt
never heard of it before
I've orders some was cheap
might as well try it
report back after it arrives

ElPulpo said:

I'm guessing you wrote this scientifically, but very tongue-in-cheek.

Having worked as a radiologic technologist for 40 years, and having worked with barium sulfate both in powder form and liquid form, it's heavy, alright. It's also gritty in powder form, unlikely to provide the qualities one would desire in a topical powder, and forms a sticky, tenacious paste when damp. If you wash it off, which isn't as easy as most of us would expect, you'll eventually have the unholy mother of all drain clogs. It used to be legal to pour liquid barium down the drain to dispose of it, but there had to be a special trap built into the plumbing to mitigate clogging. Its disposal is now highly regulated.

Aside from an essentially sandpapered and spackled butt and crotch, I think barium applied as a powder would drop even the most sag-proof diaper down to ankle height at high speed. 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: ElPulpo and Edgewater
SparkyDog said:
I've had barium swallows before
when it reacts with moisture it fizzles
also can't just pick that up at your local grocery store
but i do wonder if different brands are different in how fine they are
I think the fizz you're recalling is actually E-Z Gas, which is sort of like Pop Rocks candy but typically is lemon-lime flavored and is either given to a patient dry (to be washed down with liquid barium) or in a small quantity of water (like a med-cup shotglass while still fizzing, with a liquid barium chaser). It provides air contrast and distends the stomach for upper GI tract studies using x-ray fluoroscopy imaging. And then, we tell you not to burp! *insert evil laugh here*

Reactions: SparkyDog and Edgewater
SparkyDog said:
*Mini rant*
Needing to use baby powder with every change one thing that frustrating to me is how light baby powder is.
Slightest breeze it blows away
Applying it to your skin makes it fall off very quickly
especially while standing
I wish it was a little heavier or stuck a little better

sigh
You might want to look for something that used to be the standard means of applying powder to the human body: a powder puff. If all else fails, look for a fluffy car-washing mitt. Powder used to be kept loose, often in a rather elegant container about 4" or so in diameter and a few inches deep. The container would typically have a lid that fully covered the container, snug enough to keep powder from blowing around, with a powder puff included in the set. If you don't care to have such an elegant accessory, but want the powder loose rather than bottled, a plastic container with a snap lid would do.

Reactions: SparkyDog and Edgewater
Back