I have diaper rash and it sucks: any advice?

BabyTweetyBird said:
I use J&J baby vaseline to prevent diaper rash.
Keep Vaseline, or any other oil based product away from your plastic pants as it will cause them to harden and crack.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Well, that clotrimazole cream wasn’t that effective. The rash came back after a few wet diapers after a week without one on. I bought a diaper change cream—the only one in the supermarket actually—but it happens to be zinc-free. I didn’t take the time to properly check as I was nervous enough to be in the diaper aisle! They say it soothes rashes and it indeed does but it doesn’t heal. I’ll buy zinc cream with my next diapers. Hopefully it will be better.

Reactions: Edgewater
I’m extremely lucky in that I’ve not suffered from nappy/diaper rash, but if I’m wearing intensively I use Bepanthen Nappy Rash Ointment and I think this certainly helps with prevention.

Reactions: Edgewater
Something that I sometimes use to prevent a rash before I've got one is a barrier cream, not sure what brands are available in the USA, but here in the UK I use the Sudocrem barrier cream. It's different to a rash cream (like the 'classic' Sudocrem which comes in the grey pot and is designed to be used specifically when you've got a rash) as it's just a light layer on at every change, just to help give the skin some protection and that has worked quite well on the prevention side for me.

Reactions: ItsTimmyTime, Edgewater and Deleted member 39193
Noah1998 said:
Stop wearing diapers for a few days….
I did, for a whole week.

I use Care All 20% Zinc Oxide Ointment (available from Walmart). One application is sufficient.

DLmikey said:
I’m extremely lucky in that I’ve not suffered from nappy/diaper rash, but if I’m wearing intensively I use Bepanthen Nappy Rash Ointment and I think this certainly helps with prevention.
I should have mentioned, although Bepanthen’s name describes it as an ointment, it is in fact a fairly thick barrier cream.

Reactions: BenNevis
Something I did try when I got a rash on my leg that I needed to get medical advice for was to take a picture of it and say you have this rash on your leg. I pointed to where it was and managed to get away with not removing any clothing. They may have known what it was but they didn’t call it a nappy rash and I was able to avoid any embarrassment.

Since the OP said the rash was specifically around the legs, I wonder if there could be a reaction to the diaper. Latex in leg gathers perhaps?

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Hakanloaim said:
I did, for a whole week.
Now imagine how you'd feel if you couldn't stop for a week... Rashes suck when you have no choice but to figure it out and grin and bear it.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and NappiedTruckDriver
So if you are able to, keeping the area dry and aired out is the best if you are able to… otherwise you have to try what works for you, could be anti-fungal, could be simple petroleum jelly

star said:
Since the OP said the rash was specifically around the legs, I wonder if there could be a reaction to the diaper. Latex in leg gathers perhaps?
I discarded this hypothesis because the rash is not everywhere the diaper touches my skin. The rash (or whatever it really is) is roughly limited to the wet area.

EcoIncon said:
Now imagine how you'd feel if you couldn't stop for a week... Rashes suck when you have no choice but to figure it out and grin and bear it.
Yeah, an actual nightmare! It was exactly my thought.

Reactions: Edgewater and EcoIncon
I have always had success with firstly Metanium and secondly Bepanthan both for Nappy rash.
I also use Sudocrem on a daily basis and especially at night and this makes any Nappy rashes pretty rare happenings.
I should add that when using any of the above items do be aware that all of them will kill vinyl pants almost instantly but for better protection against creams use PUL pants as those creams will not affect the PUL material.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and Deleted member 39193
Back