I am going to have a colonoscopy.. for my fecal incontinence?

Kodname87

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Will I have an accident during the procedure? Will I be embarassed?

Your doctor will prescribe a laxative that you will need to take before the colonoscopy (about 12 hours).

This is so that your colon is 'clean' when he looks at your colon. Fecal matter makes it impossible for the doctor to see what is going on.

As such, I don't think you will have a fecal accident during the procedure.

If you do the prep properly your stool will be clearer than your urine. You will think that you’re never going to be able to get away from that porcelain monster until there’s nothing left of you. That’s been my experience for my two colonoscopies, but they’re using different methods of prep now so I’m not sure what my next one will be like in three years. Not counting my chickens before they hatch, but if I make it until then it will be my first one since becoming IC so that might make it more interesting.🤔

I get them twice a year. My doctor has started using a two day prep with split dosing of the laxatives. I'll be on clear liquid for the two days before the procedure, and the day before I have to take Dulcolax at noon and stay drinking the first half gallon of Golytely at five. I'm usually done in the bathroom around 8, but then I have to get up eight hours before my procedure (which means midnight to 2 AM most times) to drink the other half gallon of Golytely. I'll be done again in about 3-4 hours, then try to sleep until I have to go check in at the hospital.

I wear a diaper when I start taking the Dulcolax and throughout the prep, and I wear one to the procedure just in case. There's often still some liquid stool in my colon that they have to suction out, but I'm under anesthesia and don't even know until later when I read the report. I'll usually wear diapers for a couple of days after the procedure because I can still have accidents - this last time they did a chromoendoscopy, and I leaked a bunch of blue dye mixed with mucus into my diaper later that day. Pretty gross, but that's what the diaper is there for.

If you're concerned, talk to your doctor's staff and let them know that you're worried about having an accident. They can plan accordingly.

Yes and no. Since during the procedure air is pumped into your colon, afterwards you are normally asked to try and expel all this air.

More often than not, at the time you generally will accidentally have a bit of liquid poop leak out. This is totally normal though and why they make you wear a surgical gown.

As for having an accident while you're wating for the procedure to start, just tell a nurse that you need to use the toilet. Trust me, they've seen it all.

They clean you out so much with the prep you won’t have ANY poop to worry about.

As others have noted, you won't have to worry about have a bowel accident if you do your prep properly. As for the your bladder leaking there is always a chance but they are prepared for that if it happens so don't worry about it.

Earlier this year I had the Butt Light up my anus.
I rode the porcelain hobby horse the night before to poop myself out.
Nothing abnormal found.

I used to drink clear broth for two days before the procedure. A doctor told me to drink Sprite (a clear soda) the day before. The laxative purge is easier if the gut is already empty. Afterwards you will fart a lot since they inflate the colon with air.

Back