How were you finally potty trained, and what was it like for you?

I wasn't daytime potty trained till I was 7 years old and then wore youth diapers till age 9. I had a underdeveloped bladder and that's why I wore pampers day and night.

Lyric said:
I felt the same way. I was the big brother to my two sisters at a time when neither of them wore diapers any longer or wet their beds but I did-wet my bed and had to wear diapers and rubber pants at night. My sisters were pretty nice to me nonetheless, but I did at times feel embarrassed, even ashamed about being a bedwetter with my mother pinning my diapers on at night with my sisters watching.
How much younger than you are your sisters?

And did you just have your diapers and rubber pants put on as you went to bed? Or did your mother get you ready for bed earlier than that, so you had an hour or so downstairs wearing your diaper and baby pants?

AJFan2020 said:
I only noticed how to make it happen on some random day in the back yard some time after my fourth birthday when it was a relatively warm day and I was playing in a pair of shorts with underwear underneath instead of a Pamper. I was barefoot and I didn’t feel like playing with any toys at the moment. Instead I was looking up at the clouds and then around the backyard. Then I stood in one spot in the middle of the backyard. I looked at my fingers and noticed I could wiggle them. I then noticed I could do this with my toes. Then I noticed I could move my abdominal muscles in and out. One time when I was tightening my abdomen I noticed a familiar feeling in my lower abdomen like that one time that I used my potty chair. I wasn’t wetting yet but I felt like I was about to. I then moved my abdominal muscles back in and I no longer felt like I needed to go. I did this a number of times and wondered if I could make myself go if I tightened my abdomen long enough. I eventually did this and it worked.

My mother eventually came outside and noticed that I was wet. I remember her saying something like, “Oh well, I guess you’re not ready for underpants just yet.” and she gave me a bath and put me in a Pamper and some new clothes. Off and on when it was warm enough outside the same events would play out and during those later experiments with wetting I found that I could make myself speed up the flow and slow it down but I was not yet able to stop the flow after starting. That ability would only come around age nine (or perhaps even ten) and even then it was completely by chance that I discovered how to do this. Some time after my initial wetting experiments it occurred to me to try it on the toilet (my potty chair was thrown away on or shortly after my fourth birthday) and see if I could make myself use the toilet that way. It worked and the next step was around age four-and-a-half or so when my father showed me how to use the toilet standing up.
Wow, you have a very strong memory!

And you do a very good job of capturing your experiences and your mindset. By doing experiments you were able to better understand your body and its signals. And because you didn't have to worry about being embarrassed, you could do these experiments whenever and wherever without having to worry about the potty.
AJFan2020 said:
My mother (per my pediatrician’s instructions) used the “urine training first“ method (this was back in the late 1970s). Therefore my bowel training started very late (even by today’s standards). I don’t know exactly how old I was but I know I was at least four (if not five (or close to it)). I have several memories of walking around the neighborhood with my sister and my mother and every so often one of us would get tired and my mother would sit down and have me sit on her lap. If I seemed uncomfortable my mother would tell me to push my feet up against a large rock, a tree stump, or sometimes even her hands until I felt better. I didn’t know why she was telling me to do this, but I did it anyway and one time when I did this is a wetting and a movement happened. At that moment I was not wearing a Pamper so my mother, my sister, and I all knew what happened right away. My mother congratulated me (she said “Good job Tommy!” and “I knew you could do it!” and “I’m so proud of you!”) but my sister was grossed out and told me that I was a baby for doing this. This didn’t bother me, though, because my ability to feel embarrassed didn’t kick in for at least three or four more years.

My mother previously tried to get me to do this on the toilet without success so she decided to temporarily forget about that and just work on the mechanics of it with me whenever she could in order to get results. I was eventually able to do this in the downstairs toilet at home when I grew some more and my legs were long enough for me to push my feet against the bathtub. Eventually when my legs were even longer I was able to push against the floor and start doing this in other toilets (like the one at my preschool) at age five-and-a-half or so.
It sounds like your mom could tell when you had to poop and was trying to help you figure it out too. And it sounds like it worked! What other ways did she help you work on the mechanics of it?

It also sounds like you were frequently in undies instead of pampers, even though you weren't potty trained yet. Did you pee and poop in undies a lot? Did you feel pressured to use the potty or were you happy to just go in whatever you were wearing?

camdendl said:
Potty training didn’t happen to me until after I was 5. My mom tried at age 2, but I was going during the middle of a diaper change completely unaware. After going to the doctor and finding out I had a underdeveloped bladder and bowels they kept me in diapers

I first noticed, when I was pooping my diaper because before I never had to grunt or actually concentrate, just came and couldn’t Shortly, I started to have dry diapers longer than two hour where before I couldn’t stay dry. My aunt who watched me during the day noticed my dry diapers then about 30-45 mins later I would have a very full wet diaper. This happened for a few days. Then one day after I was changed into clean diaper, I felt the urge to pee for the first time and lets my mom know. We hurried to the bathroom and made it time. She was very proud and it went from there. I was nighttime trained a few months after when I started have consistent dry diapers after I work up.
It is a common sign that kids are ready for potty training when they go from a dry diaper to a very wet diaper within a short amount of time like you described. This is one of the reasons you see kids at home typically only wearing a t-shirt and diaper, because the parents/caregivers can take notes of their child's toileting patterns.

featherbutt said:
Wow, you have a very strong memory!

And you do a very good job of capturing your experiences and your mindset. By doing experiments you were able to better understand your body and its signals. And because you didn't have to worry about being embarrassed, you could do these experiments whenever and wherever without having to worry about the potty.

It sounds like your mom could tell when you had to poop and was trying to help you figure it out too. And it sounds like it worked! What other ways did she help you work on the mechanics of it?

It also sounds like you were frequently in undies instead of pampers, even though you weren't potty trained yet. Did you pee and poop in undies a lot? Did you feel pressured to use the potty or were you happy to just go in whatever you were wearing?
I wasn’t really pressured to use the potty all that much until I was around four-and-a-half and starting to learn how to ”go” standing up. Even so most of the pressure came from my father. This was because he wanted to get me into kindergarten at or before my fifth birthday. As it turned out this did not happen. I wasn’t punished for this because it wasn’t my fault but everyone in the house knew that my father (and some of my other relatives) were disappointed by this.

I have already covered most of the mechanics of “the second part of my toilet training“ in previous posts.

Because of the “urine training first method” my mother actually worked with me on the mechanics of urination first. She would have me sit on her lap for this. This would typically be done in an outdoor setting on a weekday while my sister was at school. If I hadn’t urinated in a while my mother would gently put her hand on my bladder area and apply a very slight pressure. (She knew how to do this safely because my doctor showed her the correct technique).If I started wiggling around she would tell me to put my hand on her stomach and she would tighten her stomach slightly and she would tell me to to the same thing. At this point I would wiggle more and she would tighten her stomach some more. Eventually my bladder would empty either into my diaper or into my underwear depending on what I was wearing. After I finished my mother would say things like “Good boy, Tommy you went pee-pee”. After this my mother would give me that day’s snack items (such as animal crackers,Fritos, or some potato chips) followed by some fruit juice. Based on how clearly I remember this I was probably somewhere in the three-and-a-half to the four-and-a-half age range. But I think I was closer to four. To me it didn’t really matter if I had a diaper on or not. It didn’t really matter to me what I was wearing. I eventually started doing this on the toilet with some encouragement from my mother but due to my lack of embarrassment at that age I was pretty much fine with going anywhere. My mother is pretty sure that when I was younger I didn’t really see much of a distinction between underwear and diapers so they both ended up being used quite a bit. She’s probably right about this. As long as I was sitting on either the ground or my mother’s lap my feet would usually stay dry so I didn’t really mind either way. For some reason having wet feet bothered me a lot (at least when I wasn’t in a bathtub or a kiddie pool). I think it‘s some kind of “sensory thing”.

I started kindergarten the next year at age five (almost six). I still wasn’t one hundred percent toilet trained, but I was maybe around ninety percent (at least during the day). This was enough to get me into kindergarten. I still had accidents pretty often in my first kindergarten class of the year. This would usually happen during story time. The teacher would sometimes read such fairy tales as “Goldilocks and the Three Bears”,”Repunzel”,and “Hansel and Gretel”. I found these stories to be pretty scary at that age to the point where I would sometimes “have an accident”. Sometimes after this happened one the kindergarteners would put his or her carpet square back in the spot that the teacher specified and notice that one of them was wet and comment that someone in the room was still a baby. After the teacher heard this she would check each student to find out who had the accident. After about three or four times of this I was transferred to a different kindergarten class diagonally across the hall with a slightly smaller class size and stories that were not scary. I think this class was still technically a regular class (but I’m not positive). Some time later following several wetting accidents during nap time and a sensory meltdown during a coloring activity it became obvious that this wasn’t working either. After that I went to my third and final kindergarten class with a class size of maybe five or six students. This class was part of the special education program. In there we mostly learned about calendars and such concepts as days,weeks,months,years,what the current year was, some basic colors (and their names), how to recognize a Guinea Pig (a Guinea Pig named Patches was the class pet), and how to count to ten.

The next year I started first grade. By then I was maybe up to ninety-five percent toilet trained (at least during the day). I stayed around that level having maybe one or two accidents a month in class (just like my classmates) and more than a few during recess for at least most of my time during elementary school. I only did this well because (due in part to the small class size) the teacher’s aide would usually notice if I was doing “the potty dance“ and suggest that I head to the boys room before I have an accident. In this fashion the number of accidents were greatly reduced. By about the beginning of fifth grade my daytime accidents had mostly stopped and I was sometimes waking up dry at night. By sixth grade my night-time accidents had mostly stopped aside from the occasional ones that happened when I was sick, unusually stressed out, or both. These things didn’t really embarrass me all that much at the time (even in third, fourth, or fifth grade) but sometimes they are embarrassing to look back on. I also learned how to use a computer when I was in those classes so it wasn’t a complete loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halibut
Back