How to figure out the “why”

sport1 said:
I've been in the same boat for over 30yrs.
Similarly, I've had type-2 diabetes for 25+ years. I've been U-IC for 3+ with some F-IC episodes. My doc feels that my U-IC is due to nerve damage from years of above normal glucose levels.

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, a volunteer nurse event shared some things with us including the fact that some of us would become incontinent. At the time, I laughed it off thinking that kind of thing only happens to "other people". Here I am today, NOT laughing.

Reactions: sport1 and sledder23
mickdl said:
Hi Petya,

if it‘s ideopathic then this is basicaly a good and a bad news… In this case it have often a psychological root cause. The good think is, that nothings is physical damaged that could later cause a bunch of other problems. The bad think is, that - depending on your willingness to dig deeper into it you propably will never find the answer and end up just in managing the situation.
I dont like the term idiopathic (which I think is the actual spelling) because to me it indicates the doctors just dont know and sometimes arent really interested in trying to find out. I usually push hard for real answers. My favorite answer was from an old doc when I was in my 20s who said "your completely normal except for about 30 seconds during the night which is the amount of time it takes for your bladder to empty" and then he told me if I was concerned I should completely stop drinking and if that didnt work wear a diaper.

slimjiminy said:
Similarly, I've had type-2 diabetes for 25+ years. I've been U-IC for 3+ with some F-IC episodes. My doc feels that my U-IC is due to nerve damage from years of above normal glucose levels.

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, a volunteer nurse event shared some things with us including the fact that some of us would become incontinent. At the time, I laughed it off thinking that kind of thing only happens to "other people". Here I am today, NOT laughing.
I suspect my glucose levels have been above normal for at least the past decade based on the symptom progression (maybe longer). I just found out earlier this year after testing revealed type 2. Took me 3 years to realize the daytime incontinence and numbness was the result of diabetes and not something else.

After reading about it, my path forward has changed from seeking cure to limiting progression and best management practices knowing it will continue to progress.

Never thought I’d be incontinent in my mid 40’s even though I’ve always had OAB and bed wetting issues.

Reactions: iatec779
sledder23 said:
I suspect my glucose levels have been above normal for at least the past decade based on the symptom progression (maybe longer). I just found out earlier this year after testing revealed type 2. Took me 3 years to realize the daytime incontinence and numbness was the result of diabetes and not something else.

After reading about it, my path forward has changed from seeking cure to limiting progression and best management practices knowing it will continue to progress.

Never thought I’d be incontinent in my mid 40’s even though I’ve always had OAB and bed wetting issues.
Most worrisome is the effect on eyesight. Retinopathy is common with this and can lead to blindness. A combination of the blood vessels leaking (requires argon laser treatment) and the swelling of the retina are problems I am dealing with now.

Reactions: sledder23
slimjiminy said:
Most worrisome is the effect on eyesight. Retinopathy is common with this and can lead to blindness. A combination of the blood vessels leaking (requires argon laser treatment) and the swelling of the retina are problems I am dealing with now.
True, along with heart, kidney, and possible amputation risks. It’s motivation to keep my glucose numbers in check and I’ve adopted healthy habits to slow progression.

The bladder problems are a minor nuisance compared with what could result from Type 2 complications.

sledder23 said:
The bladder problems are a minor nuisance compared with what could result from Type 2 complications.
The IBS-d is a bigger problem than the urinary IC, and not sure if it is diabetes related. Doing some medical investigation on that.

Reactions: sport1
mikesecret said:
I dont like the term idiopathic (which I think is the actual spelling) because to me it indicates the doctors just dont know and sometimes arent really interested in trying to find out. I usually push hard for real answers.
Yes - that's what I meant. If you really want to know, you have to go deeper into the matter. Anyway - the obvious things are usually found. The ones that aren't found are often not so easy to cure either.
So basically, from a doctor's point of view, it doesn't matter if they find them, because the treatment options are limited. The things that you can correct with surgery are usually easy to find. For the others, in the end, there's really only Interstim, Botox, and the psychologist....

Reactions: Pino, Deleted member 39574, newt and 1 other person
slimjiminy said:
The IBS-d is a bigger problem than the urinary IC, and not sure if it is diabetes related. Doing some medical investigation on that.
Yes I have ibs -d what a pain.

• Sad
Reactions: slimjiminy
Back