How to discard nappies responsibly when on vacation?

tschornaja

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
  3. Other
Around Easter we had a nice vacation in Ireland. Near Killarney we had a condominium. We discarded used nappies responsibly in tightly knotted plastic bags in the yellow bins, This was not a problem. However we also had an air bnb and we didn't want the host to have discard the nappies and we didn't want to use his bin and also not the ones of his neighbors, We trashed the nappies in a public bin the next village when we left.

In France there are public drop-off zones with large round colored containers. This was not a problem: we put the bags into them and the host was none the wiser.

What would you do? Especially if there is no good way to trash? And for hotels? It's not a good idea to leave the bag in the bathroom, is it?

In a hotel I would probably just double bag them or something. I'm sure people throw out diapers and other personal hygiene products all the time so I don't see why that would be an issue. I think in another thread some people said they threw them out somewhere else other than their room though.

If it's like an airbnb where you're staying for a week and they ask you to put out trash on certain days, but the schedule lines up in the way that you have a large amount of diapers that haven't been collected when you leave, maybe it's not the best, but I don't really know what you can do other than double bag them inside a trash bag or something.

I guess I just feel like a hotel or airbnb should be expected to be able to handle you throwing out diapers or other personal hygiene products, so if anything it seems less reasonable for them to complain than other places you might throw out a diaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: tschornaja and Fraggle
tschornaja said:
Around Easter we had a nice vacation in Ireland. Near Killarney we had a condominium. We discarded used nappies responsibly in tightly knotted plastic bags in the yellow bins, This was not a problem. However we also had an air bnb and we didn't want the host to have discard the nappies and we didn't want to use his bin and also not the ones of his neighbors, We trashed the nappies in a public bin the next village when we left.

In France there are public drop-off zones with large round colored containers. This was not a problem: we put the bags into them and the host was none the wiser.

What would you do? Especially if there is no good way to trash? And for hotels? It's not a good idea to leave the bag in the bathroom, is it?
Lots of Hotels have bins for sanitary poducts in most bathrooms. Why not double bag and put your used diaper in there.

VanHelsing said:
Lots of Hotels have bins for sanitary poducts in most bathrooms. Why not double bag and put your used diaper in there.
They are too small for that, especially if you stay more than two days...

Reactions: Fraggle
We just spent 2 weeks at an airbnb. My used diapers were bagged in a grocery bag and disposed of in the trash with the rest of the trash. The owners emptied the trash can and took the bags to their resident to dispose of.
The way I see it, it's garbage and that's where my dirty diapers belong. If they are going to rummage thru my trash then they can see or handle my used diapers.

Reactions: Fraggle and bigboymatty
Hospitality means handling the trash of your guests. As long as you put your trash in the provided receptacles and don't smear it all over the bag (ie, wrap it up correctly...) it should be handled like all other trash such as condoms, tampons, baby diapers, diabetic needles, etc. It's also respectable to let your hosts know you'd like an extra trash bag because you have special medical disposal needs, and you can use those exact words - you don't have to tell them they are for your diapers. They want you to have a pleasant experience and come back, they're not there to make you feel uncomfortable. Just like your not there to tell them you wear diapers full time.

I travel a lot and I bring my own bags with me to dispose of the dirty nappys. For whatever reason I always discard them in a trash can outside of the hotel. Yes I'm that strange person in the elevator with a bag under my jacket. I just wouldn't feel right about someone else discarding it especially if it's the same cleaning staff and I'm there for weeks on end.

Reactions: tschornaja
Fraggle said:
I travel a lot and I bring my own bags with me to dispose of the dirty nappys. For whatever reason I always discard them in a trash can outside of the hotel. Yes I'm that strange person in the elevator with a bag under my jacket. I just wouldn't feel right about someone else discarding it especially if it's the same cleaning staff and I'm there for weeks on end.
Unless you're taking it to the dump / incinerator, your just passing it to someone else that also collects the trash, lol. It is amazing what mental gymnastics we will use to ninja our diaper disposal!

Honestly, I have WAY too many far more important items to worry about VS where to throw away my used diapers. I'll wrap them up so they don't reek, but I'm not going to make a large effort to "hide" them by any means. Maybe it's the fact that I've had to wear for almost 20 years now and it's no longer a "taboo" issue to me anymore, I don't know. I do know that anyone who knows me well enough for me to care about them KNOWS of my medical issues, including diapers and they've been a total no issue to everyone EXCEPT my soon to be ex-wife. I know I keep saying "soon to be" but legally that's impossible as I instantly "eat" 50% of her debt the instant I file for divorce and I have my hands full bailing out the home equity loan she stopped paying on, the mortgage (almost paid off) as well as the utilities etc.

I am however considering myself single and actively seeking dates. Been on a few, but I'm being picky this time. I want someone with a fabulous personality, someone who has compassion for others and empathy as well. TOO many people self absorbed these days!

Nowididit said:
We just spent 2 weeks at an airbnb. My used diapers were bagged in a grocery bag and disposed of in the trash with the rest of the trash. The owners emptied the trash can and took the bags to their resident to dispose of.
The way I see it, it's garbage and that's where my dirty diapers belong. If they are going to rummage thru my trash then they can see or handle my used diapers.

It depends. Every airbnb is different. In our case the trash bin was small and the bag inside it very thin and transparent. It was adequate for our stay of three days but not for our nappies. So we took them with us and disposed them in the next town. But this was an exception.

Fraggle said:

Do you care to explain why?

We were in two hotels. In one the staff of the hotels already knew anyway, see: Peed in a hotel armchair for details, the other when leaving I saw that big double-bag sitting in a bathroom corner and I thought, no way I am going to leave that as is. It was the last night before flying back home and we were repacking and had a lot of trash, even a complete, empty suitcase because we limited ourselves to cabin bags only. At the reception we told the lady that staff can keep the suitcase and said that we bought it at Peeney's in Dublin, only two weeks old. But I found that weird already and I felt leaving that bag was too much.

I have to admit, my wife and I, we are still trying to accept ourselves as we are, disabled diaper users. Vacation was nice but complicated to organize because of multiple disabilities.

PupSpaz said:
Unless you're taking it to the dump / incinerator, your just passing it to someone else that also collects the trash, lol. It is amazing what mental gymnastics we will use to ninja our diaper disposal!

It's different if a trash truck picks up a bin or if someone has to pick up the bag.

CptKirk said:
Honestly, I have WAY too many far more important items to worry about VS where to throw away my used diapers. I'll wrap them up so they don't reek, but I'm not going to make a large effort to "hide" them by any means. Maybe it's the fact that I've had to wear for almost 20 years now and it's no longer a "taboo" issue to me anymore, I don't know. I do know that anyone who knows me well enough for me to care about them KNOWS of my medical issues, including diapers and they've been a total no issue to everyone EXCEPT my soon to be ex-wife. I know I keep saying "soon to be" but legally that's impossible as I instantly "eat" 50% of her debt the instant I file for divorce and I have my hands full bailing out the home equity loan she stopped paying on, the mortgage (almost paid off) as well as the utilities etc.

I am however considering myself single and actively seeking dates. Been on a few, but I'm being picky this time. I want someone with a fabulous personality, someone who has compassion for others and empathy as well. TOO many people self absorbed these days!

Thank you! I think we are not there yet. I hope you find your way. I am sorry, it must suck to have someone not being helpful with your medical issue.

CptKirk said:

What is your soon to be ex-wife issues with you wearing diapers? I'm sorry that you are going through all that and I wish you all the best in your search for a partner.

This is way more complicated than diapers...actually diapers aren't really an issue in themselves. I'm exhausted and such but with a little reminder in a day or two if I forget to "write this book" tomorrow, I'll answer the above 2 posts as best as possible.

Reactions: tschornaja and Fraggle
tschornaja said:
Do you care to explain why?

We were in two hotels. In one the staff of the hotels already knew anyway, see: Peed in a hotel armchair for details, the other when leaving I saw that big double-bag sitting in a bathroom corner and I thought, no way I am going to leave that as is. It was the last night before flying back home and we were repacking and had a lot of trash, even a complete, empty suitcase because we limited ourselves to cabin bags only. At the reception we told the lady that staff can keep the suitcase and said that we bought it at Peeney's in Dublin, only two weeks old. But I found that weird already and I felt leaving that bag was too much.

I have to admit, my wife and I, we are still trying to accept ourselves as we are, disabled diaper users. Vacation was nice but complicated to organize because of multiple disabilities.
I travel for work and my company pays for my hotels. My pea sized brain thinks that the hotel staff will find my soiled nappys and somehow get ahold of my company and let them know. Oh boy... Now looking back at that idea, I can now see how far fetched that might seem. For a very long time I would travel in the elevator with my nappy under my jacket. I remember a dog running up to me in the lobby as I had a bag under my jacket with a bulge. The owner of the dog came running towards me and I instantly thought "oh man, this is it for me, I am so caught". Luckily the owner just came and scooped up his doggy. I don't know if the dog caught my pee scent or not. Once again it's my pea sized brain thinking into it.

• Haha
It seems it is similar to the worry, what if someone discovers that I wear a nappy?

😱 The horrors!

The next time I try to be more relaxed in disposing used nappies. That's a solemn promise to you all! 🙃

When we stay out of town I always carry some plastic bags with us .
I always place my use diapers in the out door dumpster.

Reactions: Fraggle and tschornaja
I agree that it should be as simple as putting them in the bin. But whenever I've been away in both air b&b and hotels the bathroom bin is tiny. And I'm too embarrassed to ask for extra bags. I feel like the places I've stayed they'd just straight up ask what it's for.

If I were incon I'd probably feel a bit more entitled about it, like ' f** you and your ignorance about disability'. But since I'm not, I know when they think a young girl couldn't possibly need a large bin for medical waste ... Even though they're wrong. In this case.... They're right.

Still looking for a more graceful solution

Reactions: tschornaja and PaddedRita
Back