How to contain a BM accident -

CrossfireHurricane

longtime complete incontinent
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
For those that experience F-IC, it's important to contain the diaper from a BM accident. I've always been U/F-IC. Wearing a diaper is essential to contain the stool.
I wear plastic backed Abena and during the day I'll add a booster (Tranquility TopLiner contour booster pad ~ $1 each) when I know I'll be unable to change. I add the boosters for sleeping every night. The sizes of these boosters is to help contain BM's (32" x 14") along with extra absorbent.

BM accidents happen everyday or evening. At least half of these happen while sleeping and the rest during the day or the early morning. I use Nullo (though I'm thinking of Body Mint internal deodorant with chlorophyll), and being a teacher/guidance counselor, if I have an accident the odor is minimal. Most of my BM's occur while sleeping. And unfortunately they are often large. Consistency vary from soft to solid (rarely firm). Thankfully I seldom have loose stool.

Nobody likes a blow-out. When I say "blow-out" I'm talking about an extremely large stool (solid), not loose. Unfortunately, loose stool are unable to contain.
But I'm talking about a "normal" BM with large size stool. Any time of a large BM, daytime can be challenging but you're awake and know how to control how it spreads. Like standing up or sitting down but leaning back. For me any "blow-out' (stool getting out of the diaper), the worst ones spread up the back of the diaper. Standing usually keeps the diaper contained easily. Sitting down could be difficult to control the accident. Especially when it's a huge BM. To keep the stool inside the diaper and stop from spreading out the back of the diaper is to lean back. When you're leaning back it forced the stool to go where there's room. Like the crotch of the diaper. It might be uncomfortable having the mess around the crotch or around your privates, the idea is to contain the diaper. You can clean it up later. Rarely does the accident go out of the diaper in the front.

Sleeping, which are most of my accidents, it's hard to control where the stool goes. So with the booster (which helps my flooding), it's wider to help contain the BM. But even though I sleep on my sides, I move around while sleeping (like most people). So I wear plastic pants and also a waterproof bed pad. While sleeping, the stool can migrate. There really isn't anything to control. You can only contain. A lot of my accidents happen as I'm just waking up. I have a habit to help controlling the stool is to lay back and raise my knees up. There's no reason to lift your knees higher then your feet. Simply laying back and bend your knees with your feet on the ground. It's a comfortable position. Usually when I awake I have a strong urgency and there's really no time to even stand up. That's why I lay on my back and release. Just like sitting on a chair, there is room in the diaper in this position. Again, typically I have pretty large accidents. Obviously it spreads up around crotch. Containing the stool is everything. You can clean-up when you get up.

Others might have more ideas but to contain the accident in the diaper, I use these positions because I don't like a "blow-out". Feel free to add your own ideas.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
Unfortunately, loose stool are unable to contain.
That pretty much sums up my nightmare.

I can control normal stools but the diarrhea is sometimes out of control. So far this has only happened a few times but my control is diminishing. A coffee blowout is impossible to hold back.

The thing is, when you're out and about, you still need to get home to clean up. To drive home, you need to sit, which means that it might squish up the back where your spine is. So far, I've been able to suppress it until I get home to the driveway.

It is interesting how different things can be. I have only difficulties to hold thin stools but for me the best way to avoid a disaster is to sit down or stay seated and wait until the cramp is over and then search a toilet immediately. How ever - if it happens it happens mostly while getting up or while walking. In this case I can only search for a toilet as fast I can and don’t sit down again because the diaper will not absorb the stool and will leak if you are not really careful. The only thing that I find helpful here from a protection point of view is to wear just the diaper and nothing compressing over it and use some with high leak guards. Booster or something like this seems at last to me pretty useless.

Since you're a guidance counselor, if I was a student and wanted to use pull-ups or diapers in school, I could have just added the need for them to my IEP and keep supplies at the nurse's office?

If I could have done that when I was still in school and just have insurance cover it, it would have saved me a lot of trouble with BM accidents compared to regular underwear 🩲.

Reactions: Magicalgirl101
Hate diarrhea. Especially being IC. Difficult to contain. Thankfully it doesn't happen often. "Normal" BM's are easier to contain. From the OP, quality disposable diaper and plastic pants. That pretty much handles it. Sleeping could be with a problem. Poop has a way to migrate. Perhaps using a bed pad could help if you're a restless sleeper. During the day I rarely have BM's (mostly for sleeping) and daytime accidents is easier to contain. The best way is to change a dirty diaper in a timely way.

Thanks for the tip

My GF will avoid sitting down if she has a bm during the day. Its rare but it does happen in the daytime. She mostly messes at night, in her sleep and its very, very rare she will have a messy leak, but it has happened.

Back