How old were you when you stopped wearing diapers at night as a kid? Connected to adult incontinence...

pugglesmuggles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hi everyone: I am curious how old everyone was when you stopped wearing diapers at night for like bedwetting and stuff, if you can recall. I've been told by doctors late bedwetting can be connected to incontinence later in life- I'm 30 and have had UIC for about 3 years.

For me, I was a late bloomer all the way around. My parents tried to potty-train me when I was about 3 I guess (they've told me all this, I don't remember) and I just didn't get it, or couldn't do it, or whatever. Kept wearing diapers until I was about 4, when my memories more or less start. Had to go to preschool wearing pull-ups- I guess I figured out how to poop on the toilet- but was in diapers all the rest of the time. I turned 5 and was about to go to kindergarten so I had to get it down, and I did, but still wore a pull-up the first couple weeks of kinder just in case.
But I still peed in my sleep every night, so I wore diapers to bed, all the way until I was 8. I remember talking to my pediatrician about it with my mom, and he really wasn't concerned so long as I didn't mind wearing diapers. I was a small kid so the largest pampers at the time fit me, and truly I didn't really mind- I had worn diapers all my life at night so it was just normal. My mom taught me to put them on myself when I was about 7, and I did it each night after that and took them off in the morning. Anyway, around the time I was 8, the bedwetting started petering off, gradually getting down to only about once a week, but I still wore diapers out of security and habit until I was 9 and in 3rd grade. I was only peeing the bed (well, in my diaper) about once every 2 weeks when I was invited to my first sleepover. Naturally I was terrified, both at possibly wetting the bed and/or wearing a diaper around my friends. By this time I understood no one else my age still wore diapers. My parents basically made me go (questionable decision today HA) and I brought one of my diapers, but I was too scared to put it on. I eventually fell asleep and didn't pee!

So after that I stopped wearing diapers at night and only actually peed the bed like twice after that. Of course, until I was like 26... since I wear diapers 24/7 now for UIC.

So what do you think? Late bedwetting connected to UIC now?

I have never been reliably dry at night. I have always had OAB but up until my 60’s when I developed BPH I had reasonable daytime control. I still have some daytime control but must wear pullups or diaper 24/7.

I don’t know if late bedwetting causes UIC later in life or if there has been bladder issues all along that progress as we age.

I been told before the age 5 , as of the pass 20 some yrs it been full time all time now !

I wet the bed consistently through elementary school, regularly through middle school, and occasionally through the first 2 years of high school. And for the first few years of college, I wet the bed predictably--predictable because it almost always was caused by an excess of alcohol.

I don't know if there is a connection between past bedwetting and future problems, but my first urologist seemed to think so. Granted it was only a 5 minute conversation. Mostly me just explaining the situation. He definitely implied that my past bedwetting was a good enough cause to not ask any additional questions or need any tests. Instead he just said, yep sounds like urge incontinence. Ill write you a prescription for oxybutynin. Next."

It took me a few more months to regain the will to go to another urologist after whatever that appointment was.

As a child I was on a diaper roller-coaster
be on a dry streak then start wetting again. also discovered my love of diapers in extremely early childhood. I was known as the bed wetter kid by a lot of my peers. Thankfully had a couple great friends who accepted me long as I didn't make the bed wet.
Since my teen years basically been 24-7
Wearing diapers to school was an Intresting experience.

long story short there wasn't 1 time I stopped wetting the bed. it was constantly on and off

Last edited:
I was out of night nappies around 4 years old and instantly missed them. I was mega jealous of my younger cousins who, due to bed wetting, both wore until they were in double figures. I was always consumed with desire to wear again and whenever I got the opportunity I would sneak nappies or fashion my own out of small white bath towels which I pinned on with ‘stolen’ nappy pins. I remember my Aunt being confused as to why there were three wet nappies in the bathroom some mornings when I stayed over….

Reactions: Deleted member 68367
Never been out of diapers for bedwetting

Reactions: Deleted member 68367 and Wetshisbed
I've been in alot of diapers in my life. In the early years, ive heard from my orphanage, (yes, it's sad, but my parents didn't want me), that i was in diapers basically my whole childhood.
I can remember from when i was about 5 or 6. I was in diapers at night and light pullups during the day untill i was about 15. Along with my dyslexia I probably gave the caretakers the most trouble in the orphanage. Now at 24 i've been in diapers 24/7 for 5 years, a doctor made me U-IC whilst he was removing a kidney stone. My B-IC came much later, about 1.5 years ago. A drunk driver hit me. Sadly it was a hit-an-run, so we have no idea who it was. My nervous system was damaged and now i have to use crutches everywhere.

I was taken out of night time nappies at about 9 years old in a vain attempt to get me dry at night. Our District nurse told my mother I needed to feel the wetness and nappies just gave me no incentive to stop wetting at night.
It didn't work. I continued to wet the bed until my early 20s.

Reactions: Deleted member 68367
Jg21101 said:
Never been out of diapers for bedwetting
I was finally out of nappies at night in my early 20s

bdale said:
I have never been reliably dry at night. I have always had OAB but up until my 60’s when I developed BPH I had reasonable daytime control. I still have some daytime control but must wear pullups or diaper 24/7.

I don’t know if late bedwetting causes UIC later in life or if there has been bladder issues all along that progress as we age.
My Mother always said once a bedwetter always a bedwetter.

Reactions: bedwetter bobby, bdale and Diprs2
Back