How many other disabled veterans are here?

CptKirk

Disabled veteran,"MOTORHEAD"PROFESSIONAL Mechanic
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I ask as I'm trying to accomplish what a few other DV's I've spoken to who somehow managed to get the VA to cover Megamax, Northshore Supreme & Betterdry from Northshore. I've been trying to make this happen for over a year now but haven't reached the point where I can say I'm getting the same supplied to me.

To date the diapers the VA has provided me with are utterly useless and I've "donated" them to various entities and one personal friend who's Mom was able to make use of them. For some unknow reason and despite me talking to my Dr to inform her that no pull up would ever work for me, they STILL send me a case of pullups every few weeks it seems! I have to admit that at least they're Tranquility although it wouldn't matter who makes them as a pullup simply can not handle the frequency or volume my body produces. They are FAR SUPERIOR to the "no name generics" they sent me the first time.

If any other DV's see this please send me a personal message. I know there's at least a few of us on this forum.

Reactions: JeriHfoley18, paddedhiram, johnselm and 4 others
First off I thank you for you service 👍
I've never felt with the VA as I'm not a veteran but I know fighting with Medicaid to get a decent product was a pain and I almost gave up but decided instead I would triple my efforts and lol and behold after countless hours of phone calls and letters ect. I was finally able to get something I consider acceptable.
I get 156 tranquility ATN tabbed briefs and 156 tranquility booster inserts 2boxes of gloves a month it took several months because what I was originally supplied was basically the thinnest most useless pull ups. They where terrible be the squeaky wheel that gets the greese😆
Best of luck my friend

Reactions: johnselm, Diprs2, Edgewater and 2 others
So I just messaged someone else but will give you short version unless you want me to copy past what I wrote it's quite long. What you need to ask for and it needs to be on paperwork submitted to pharmacy is your REQUESTING A NON-FORMULARY PHARMACY REQUEST(short version your asking for something not in that hospitals list) and basically have to prepare like a sales pitch on why what you want is better than what is offered. As I told the other vet if you have other VA's near by that aren't in your hospital system you can try to call to see what they offer even if they are in the same VISN there are some that are in different systems. So like I get my supplies from 2 different VA's I am fortunate i am close enough to a border so it's like what's offered in one state is different from the other.. But in one state there off top of my head(it's late sorry) 4 Hospitals in that part of state but 3 are in their own system and they each may offer something different I know 2/4 of them do. Like right around when I got my request approved I found out hospital in the next state offered Molicare Super Plus as a standard item but most had to play the games of this diaper sux then get another and eventually they got Molicare it's the govt their not going to give you the top option first even if you were AF and if you no disrespect but it's like Corps they give you the bare minimum and if your lucky enough to know someone in supply or your extra special then you may get something nicer. I do wish and would be cheaper if they went to a vet and said here are your choices vs think first 2 yrs I had metric sh*t ton of ones that didn't work, they are great at wasting money while telling you their broke.

If you need more help i will apologize now but I will copy n paste the novel I just wrote for another vet LMAO

• Love
Reactions: johnselm, Diprs2, Edgewater and 4 others
I am a veteran on disability. I did 14 years in the Canadian Navy reg force. I served on destroyers and frigates, most of my time was on Frigates. I was a member of the engineering department. My responsibilities were the operation and maintenance of many different mechanical systems, diesel engines and gas turbines as well as fighting fires on an attack team. I also spent some time working with the boarding party as the RHIB(rigid hull inflatable boat) engineer. I deployed multiple times and spent years of my life at sea. I ended up getting sick in body and mind. I lost a portion of my right lung due to lung disease from the dirty engineering environment and ended up with brain damage from electro convulsive therapy (ect). I was getting the ect in the mental hospital for my ptsd and major depressive disorder.
The VA system and government have been very helpful to me. I have a full pension despite my career being cut short and I got a decent payout for my problems. It paid for my house and now I consider myself retired. I have issues still but Im very grateful that I can now be with my kids and wife instead of sailing all the time and going to conflict zones.
I just wish I didnt feel like such a broke and useless person now. I used to be a tough as nails sailor/soldier who traveled the world and fought for democracy. Now Im a soft and useless civvy.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Love
Reactions: johnselm, Diprs2, Edgewater and 5 others
Saltedcaramel64 said:
I am a veteran on disability. I did 14 years in the Canadian Navy reg force. I served on destroyers and frigates, most of my time was on Frigates. I was a member of the engineering department. My responsibilities were the operation and maintenance of many different mechanical systems, diesel engines and gas turbines as well as fighting fires on an attack team. I also spent some time working with the boarding party as the RHIB(rigid hull inflatable boat) engineer. I deployed multiple times and spent years of my life at sea. I ended up getting sick in body and mind. I lost a portion of my right lung due to lung disease from the dirty engineering environment and ended up with brain damage from electro convulsive therapy (ect). I was getting the ect in the mental hospital for my ptsd and major depressive disorder.
The VA system and government have been very helpful to me. I have a full pension despite my career being cut short and I got a decent payout for my problems. It paid for my house and now I consider myself retired. I have issues still but Im very grateful that I can now be with my kids and wife instead of sailing all the time and going to conflict zones.
I just wish I didnt feel like such a broke and useless person now. I used to be a tough as nails sailor/soldier who traveled the world and fought for democracy. Now Im a soft and useless civvy.
It's good to hear Canada takes really good care of there veterans. And I wouldn't sell yourself short though many of us aren't in same shape as we were once but once a pipe hitter always a pipe hitter I do know in the US there has been few viral videos of people that tried messing with older vets not knowing their backgrounds and they were taught valuable lessons. I might be fat n broken but I was taught to be professionally violent and when needed to be violent first lmao If you ever seen the movie the hangover I am sort of like the paralyzed guy at the western union (and I actually carry an ASP baton haha).

Also I bet we both can point out things in either one of our countries laws or rules that we find stupid as well as leaders(not getting political)but I have respect for the office not always the seat holder.

• Love
Reactions: johnselm, Diprs2, Edgewater and 2 others
I'm a disabled Veteran and the VA prescribed ABENA Abri-Form Premium, which are the cloth backed diapers. Best I've gotten from them (I don't like cloth backed).

I'm really interested in getting something plastic backed but haven't succeeded.

Reactions: johnselm, Diprs2 and Edgewater
What ParaRomeo wrote was what I did for mine. A sales pitch is an understatement by far. In between service, I was lucky and got a doc who had like 5 kids, and explained it to her as ”you wouldnt want Skilcraft diapers on your kid and deal with the aftermath, why would I want the same”? She ended up working with the VA pharmacist and I, and they were able to work something out for me to go from ATN to Abena to ultimately Better Dry. The BetterDry didnt happen till I joined a different branch, which was actually easier due to a proven history of an issue not really being an issue, having proven that a moderate issue was made a 24/7 issue after deploying, and by not needing to deploy in the same capacity (I stopped flying/totally different mission for branch).

Now that i’m back in, it still is sometimes a fight, especially when we get a new doc/PA who thinks they need to change everything upon arrival, or my normal one is out of office and we get a TDY one.

Sorry for the long spiel, and I know i’m an extremely rare case with my experiences, but the best COA is to keep fighting them. You know whats best for you, theyre not the ones who go home to live with it, and it doesnt cost them a cent to do, just a little extra time and effort (blah blah muh taxes blah, I pay but hate them too).

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
A non formulary request will go better if you have contacted your patient advocate at your VA medical center, might not hurt to find out if you have a case worker, and get them involved too. I had to fight hard to get decent diapers from the VA even though I'm completely bladder and bowel incontinent, and it's service connected. I have been getting plastic backed Abena from them for about 15 years now. Unfortunately Abena are not what they used to be, and I'm considering fighting again to see if I can get something better. I just want a diaper that will get me through 6.5 hours of sleep without leaking, seems reasonable to me. Lol

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and CptKirk
I'm only half broke did the USN thing form 94-98 and injured my back the las year I was. I am getting diaper though the VA and was getting Abena till earlier this year then they stopped and I am stuck with a new incontinence formulary and loosing sleep now

Reactions: Diprs2, IWannawear and Edgewater
srgsng25 said:
I'm only half broke did the USN thing form 94-98 and injured my back the las year I was. I am getting diaper though the VA and was getting Abena till earlier this year then they stopped and I am stuck with a new incontinence formulary and loosing sleep now
FIGHT! They'll never supply you with what works if they believe you're satisfied with whatever you're receiving. I've become a royal pain in the ass on numerous fronts and a single secure message or phone call to a patient advocate (if secure messages or conversations with your Dr(s) are unsuccessful) seems to drastically speed things up!
Let me know if I can be of more help! I've learned a LOT here from Romeo and another person on a different forum plus I'm getting better at not giving a shit if I piss someone off as this is my life, I have to live it and I didn't ask to wind up with a 100% disability.

LOL, i am in the process of switching to a new CBOC in my town, so it will be a new provider I am half temped to schedule my new apt with a full bladder and see if my diaper fails LOL after 20+ years there ain't much the embarrass me anymore I am also getting into the sleep clinic so I might beable to address this apart of my sleep disturbance issues

Reactions: Diprs2
When I was in Phoenix the VA after a while bought cloth diapers; however the nurse made sure they were the wrong type. In Rochester the VA bought the kind I wanted no problems there now in Prescott they are cluess as well as the VA in Las Vegas. It all depends in which VA you go to. The VA is full of incompetence or I fear corruption. No Dr.s no nurses and no answers. The whole VA system needs a complete overhaul.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and furry121
I just had my annual checkup appointment on Friday, and expressed the issues I've been having with Abena to my doctor. She completely understood what I was talking about and has agreed to put in a new non-formulary request for me. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, Jim100 and 1 other person
loadedpamperman said:
FIGHT! They'll never supply you with what works if they believe you're satisfied with whatever you're receiving. I've become a royal pain in the ass on numerous fronts and a single secure message or phone call to a patient advocate (if secure messages or conversations with your Dr(s) are unsuccessful) seems to drastically speed things up!
Let me know if I can be of more help! I've learned a LOT here from Romeo and another person on a different forum plus I'm getting better at not giving a shit if I piss someone off as this is my life, I have to live it and I didn't ask to wind up with a 100% disability.
I emailed my care cordinator and patient care advocate, who prompted emailed my nurse, who emails me back, finally asking what she could do to help me out LOL

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, iowaincon and 1 other person
ParaRomeo said:
So I just messaged someone else but will give you short version unless you want me to copy past what I wrote it's quite long. What you need to ask for and it needs to be on paperwork submitted to pharmacy is your REQUESTING A NON-FORMULARY PHARMACY REQUEST(short version your asking for something not in that hospitals list) and basically have to prepare like a sales pitch on why what you want is better than what is offered. As I told the other vet if you have other VA's near by that aren't in your hospital system you can try to call to see what they offer even if they are in the same VISN there are some that are in different systems. So like I get my supplies from 2 different VA's I am fortunate i am close enough to a border so it's like what's offered in one state is different from the other.. But in one state there off top of my head(it's late sorry) 4 Hospitals in that part of state but 3 are in their own system and they each may offer something different I know 2/4 of them do. Like right around when I got my request approved I found out hospital in the next state offered Molicare Super Plus as a standard item but most had to play the games of this diaper sux then get another and eventually they got Molicare it's the govt their not going to give you the top option first even if you were AF and if you no disrespect but it's like Corps they give you the bare minimum and if your lucky enough to know someone in supply or your extra special then you may get something nicer. I do wish and would be cheaper if they went to a vet and said here are your choices vs think first 2 yrs I had metric sh*t ton of ones that didn't work, they are great at wasting money while telling you their broke.

If you need more help i will apologize now but I will copy n paste the novel I just wrote for another vet LMAO

When you did your write up, did you just give it to your primary care provider at the VA?

Reactions: Diprs2, IWannawear and Edgewater
Still working on this issue they were sending me tens skin but they sent me pull-ups. I could use some help was finally able to get wipes and Calmocepine rash cream thought just need the right washable underpads and diapers now I am on the discord group is anyone ever wants to chat

I'm a veteran, but because I worked in intelligence it's been hard to get disability, my records are sealed Top Secret. I do have VA med but had no luck getting any diapers. I have been diagnosed as incontinent. With my diapers and supplies running over $350 a month it's no fun. I am wishing all my fellow vets the best of luck with the VA.

Reactions: Diprs2, CptKirk and Edgewater
aabigbill said:
I'm a veteran, but because I worked in intelligence it's been hard to get disability, my records are sealed Top Secret. I do have VA med but had no luck getting any diapers. I have been diagnosed as incontinent. With my diapers and supplies running over $350 a month it's no fun. I am wishing all my fellow vets the best of luck with the VA.
KEEP FIGHTING! My "military medical records" were magically "LOST" days after I collapsed with a 106 fever in 1990. I never stopped fighting for my records and though I went from 7-8/90 until 11/19 until I "finally" won 100% full/permanent disability, I DID in fact receive it. My medical records were "magically "LOST" days after receiving all of the "inoculations" necessary to be deployable at the infancy of the 1st GULF War but by some "MIRACLE" they did eventually resurface allowing me to be treated, cared for and PAID what I should had been being paid since 1990!! I lost a LOT, but nothing can change that. At least now I can "live" better than I'd been for the past 18 FUC***G YEARS!

If I can be of any help to you PLEASE don't hesitate to ask. There are a LOT of fellow vets who's life has been irreparably altered here, some much more tuned into this information than I am. One way or another, I'm POSITIVE that together we can get you or at least direct you to the right people/places to get what YOU deserve/EARNED!!!

My email is jvitaglia at gmail dot com....IF there is ANYTHING I can do to help you out PLEASE do not hesitate to ask! I know numerous other vets here (and elsewhere) who can help guide you to receive the benefits YOU have earned and more than DESERVE!!!

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and Jim100
steveg said:
Still working on this issue they were sending me tens skin but they sent me pull-ups. I could use some help was finally able to get wipes and Calmocepine rash cream thought just need the right washable underpads and diapers now I am on the discord group is anyone ever wants to chat
My primary care doctor originally wrote the prescription for my diapers, but what I received initially were pull-ups also. And they were trash. Comfort-care if i remember correctly. I told him I needed something more absorbent for night time, and they gave me Abena Premium. They are cloth backed which isn’t my favorite, but almost never leak.

Reactions: Diprs2, johnselm, Edgewater and 1 other person
Back