How long did you live with your parents house until you moved out?

jdlake131

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I stayed with my parents for a while. I wasn't sure what I wanted to study in college. So I stayed home and went to a jr. college for 2 years. Then I had been saving money and my dad add to that for university. I had enough money so I could have my own apartment with no roomy. I guess I didn't really get into university living. I still played hockey there. I was asked to make the university team but with studies and regular sport teams kept me busy. I didn't want the stress. After university I lived with my parents for another year until I bought a country-house near my parents. How long did you live with your folks?

I'm moving out of mine in 2 months LOL

Reactions: ShyBoo81, Deleted member 59082 and KrankyPants
(This feels better suited to the Off-topic forum...)

I lived with my parents full-time until about two months after I graduated from high school. At that point, I moved off to college and only came home on breaks. Since graduating from college, I haven't stayed at my parents' house for any significant amount of time. I still visit frequently, though. Dad passed away recently, but mom still lives in the house I grew up in, and my old bedroom is like a time capsule from the early-mid 1990's, heh. Sigh...

Last edited:
Reactions: KrankyPants
I moved out on my own when I was 15.5 never looked back.

• Wow
I moved out when attending University. Now how do we get out son to move out?

• Haha
Reactions: GatoChihuahua, Angelapinks, RedPandaDL and 1 other person
I'm still living with my parents at 21. It makes the most sense financially for me and they don't mind, if anything they're glad to keep me around to help with stuff if needed. The only reason I'd want to move out sooner would be to be able to wear/buy/dispose of diapers without having to be sneaky, but my parents respect my privacy enough that it's not that bad once I developed some good methods. The most feasible alternatives for me currently anyways would involve a roommate which would likely be even harder.

I'll probably stay with them until I get my degree and get a job unless a good opportunity came up somehow.

• Love
I moved out when I was 35 and that was 10 months ago.
I shoulda left sooner.

Reactions: Rezzu and Chosen
JaysonTheRegressor said:
I'm moving out of mine in 2 months LOL
Cool! 😀 I wish you the best luck! 🙂

• Love
Reactions: JaysonTheRegressor
I'm still living with my dad. With his heart problems, I feel like he's gonna die soon, and I'll have the house to myself.

• Sad
Reactions: GatoChihuahua
I lived with my parents until I graduated from college. Once graduated, I got a job teaching at a private boarding school. The year after that I moved out of state getting a job as a church organist and assistant director.

I always liked being home, for the most part so I'd go home and visit. My bedroom was the entire upstairs attic in a cape cod house so I had my privacy. When my mom got cancer, she sold the house and I miss both she and the house to this day.

Cottontail said:
(This feels better suited to the Off-topic forum...)
I agree! 👍

Moved out of my parents house when I was 23, but I have a house on my parents land. They live about 100 feet behind me.

Reactions: Angelapinks
I moved out at 17, I've always been very independent, I still finished high-school with good grades while managing a job to pay for an apartment. My apartment was right across the road from the high-school 😁

Reactions: Angelapinks and chamberpot
I moved out at 18 the summer after graduating high school and fall college started

I left at 15. I always loved my independence.
A year ago at 55 my wife and mother and step father sold our houses and bought a five aker block of land together and we are building two small house's, so I suppose you could say I have practically moved back

Lived at home through 5 years of university then took a year or so to work full time well doing a nutrition degree Online, found a sales rep job and bought my own house . Then migraines went chronic, developed fibromyalgia and can’t work so had to sell my house, mom sold hers and we bought a new bigger one together. And no chance of moving out now - I will be living with her until she needs more care or dies. But I have my garden and slowly removing all grass and its so pretty. And we finally did make a compromise on the diapers so as long as she doesn’t see them she has given up - still doesnt like it but doesn’t say anything. So goodnites it is.

maybe now that’s Covid settling I can start to get her to meet with people and make friends so I get the house to myself once in a while. That is the huge downside … she is ALWAYS home. But it was nice during lockdowns lolo

• Love
Reactions: Angelapinks and ARBBB2
I lived with my parents until I went to university at almost 18. I has a solo dorm room for 2 years and then got off campus apartment. Then I finished and got a condo in downtown (thanks dad). Then I used a little of my trust fund and bought a home at the beach on Lake Michigan. I've been running solo since college.

Reactions: Angelapinks
I started mostly staying with friends when I was 16, they were very poor and needed help financially so I stayed there, payed rent and bought groceries for us all. My parents didn't mind as long as I was going to school like I was supposed to and I did stay at home occasionally. After my best friend went off to trade school no one was living in that house anymore their dad sold it and I moved into a camper I'd bought on my property in Alabama, so at that point I was driving all the way from graham Alabama to Dallas Georgia every day on a fast food restaurant salary in a truck that maybe got 10mpg on a good day! Not long after that I got my first diesel mechanic job, quit school because they kept jerking me around on the last couple classes I needed to graduate, my buddy moved back from trade school and we rented a house close to our jobs along with his brother and another lifelong friend to us all. A lot has changed since those days and I'm glad I moved out early and endured the hardships that came, my parents had a tendency to coddle and I'm glad I did my own thing and figured out life for myself I think it's made me able to better deal with life's hurdles today and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Reactions: chamberpot and VanHelsing
KarmaBaby said:
Lived at home through 5 years of university then took a year or so to work full time well doing a nutrition degree Online, found a sales rep job and bought my own house . Then migraines went chronic, developed fibromyalgia and can’t work so had to sell my house, mom sold hers and we bought a new bigger one together. And no chance of moving out now - I will be living with her until she needs more care or dies. But I have my garden and slowly removing all grass and its so pretty. And we finally did make a compromise on the diapers so as long as she doesn’t see them she has given up - still doesnt like it but doesn’t say anything. So goodnites it is.

maybe now that’s Covid settling I can start to get her to meet with people and make friends so I get the house to myself once in a while. That is the huge downside … she is ALWAYS home. But it was nice during lockdowns lolo
love the fact that she knows and u can be a little once in a while(every day) helps headaches!!! Its also good for fibermialgia because it takes your mind of the aches!!

Last edited:
I moved out after high school at 19 for a few months, in and out for a while them my folks retired to Florida and I had their house to myself. My parents split up when I was 30 and I was stuck with one or the other in their house, it was ugly and cost me the girl I was with. With two years more I could have built a house on the lot I owned for cash but I had to go and financed 50%. By the time my house was built in a rush by the worst contractor on the planet my parents reconciled. My parents got mad I wasn't staying in their house paying for taxes, power and heat and 30 years later I live in a poorly built house on my dream lot..
PARENTS SUCK!!!

Back