How early should I get up before work?

Maromi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaperfur
Curious what others opinion on this are. Currently been getting up 10-5 mins before I have to sit down and clock in (work from home) but that aside I’ve almost been falling asleep at work every morning. At the worst point a few weeks ago it’s taken me 2 hours before I could become productive.

Right now I set my alarm for 10 mins before but almost constantly snooze it for 5 minutes.

I always get a solid minimum 8-9 hours of sleep though this way which is a good balance for me during the week.

Should I try and get up earlier or not sure if that’s going to make my problems worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: theancientmariner, KBoy and littleFeathers
Maromi said:
I always get a solid minimum 8-9 hours of sleep though this way which is a good balance for me during the week.
How much sleep we need varies from person to person, and can even vary from time to time.
Maromi said:
Should I try and get up earlier or not sure if that’s going to make my problems worse.
The only way to find out is to try it. I think, though, I'd try going to sleep earlier and see what that does for you.

Reactions: Woncrinklz, mistykitty, KBoy and 1 other person
I get up 2 hours before I have to go to work on Sunday (church music director) because it takes me a while to get fully awake. It gives me the time to have some coffee, something to eat and read the Sunday paper which I enjoy. By the time I get to church, I'm able to perform on piano, organ, singing and directing the choir. But everyone is different and I'm sure no one has to sing into a mic and sound system...haha.

• Love
Reactions: Woncrinklz, Cottontail, BBBen and 2 others
I get up at 345 to be in shift turnout at 530.

Wow, 10 minutes before hand? That’s pushing the envelope. I personally need at least 90-120 minutes every morning to make coffee and prepare to brave the cold truck. You’re lucky to work from home, I wish I could. If I did, I’d still give myself at least 60 minutes.

Reactions: mistykitty, Cottontail, Tigressmoon22 and 1 other person
He did say he worked from home so I guess it's an honor system. My neighbor did that during the pandemic and was outside working on his garden all day.
It's good to be retired!

Obviously it's different for everyone, but I've found that having some extra time to wake up and collect myself helps me feel more awake. There are also tons of tips and tricks to feel more awake in the morning, but I'll leave those answers to Google.

Maromi said:
Curious what others opinion on this are. Currently been getting up 10-5 mins before I have to sit down and clock in (work from home) but that aside I’ve almost been falling asleep at work every morning. At the worst point a few weeks ago it’s taken me 2 hours before I could become productive.

Right now I set my alarm for 10 mins before but almost constantly snooze it for 5 minutes.

Two points to examine:
  1. You for sure need to be getting up at least an hour before work. We take time to get going and start functioning in the morning. Get up, get at least one glass of water in you, take a shower, exercise, go for a walk, make breakfast, etc. A morning routine will signal your brain that it is time to get up and get going. If we don't get moving, its very hard for our bodies to recognize the signal to wake up, and our brains to clear the fog.
  2. DO NOT work in the same room as your bed, or the same area as you do anything else (gaming, tv, etc). It needs to be its own separate space that only feels like workspace. Make it sacred. This is advice that the most successful work from homers swear by. You may not leave your home for work, but in your subconscious you still should; that is an important key to being able to maintain focus.

• Love
Reactions: Woncrinklz, Maromi, dogboy and 2 others
Wow! Yeah, getting up literally minutes before work doesn’t seem like a recipe for success. And good points from @Turfy about keeping work and life separate. I’m another remote employee, so I understand how work and life can sort of blur together when they’re happening in the same spaces, and that’s a recipe for anxiety and depression. The world becomes a little too small and singular in focus.

As for my timing: I get up at 5AM, three hours before work, and have a somewhat involved morning routine that includes cooking breakfast, waking everybody else (wife, kids) up, eating with them, usually playing a board game with Wife while we finish our coffees, seeing everybody out the door to work and school, taking care of all our indoor and outdoor animals, diapering myself, heaving a big sigh, ……… and then sitting down to work.

Needless to say, at that point I’m pretty much awake. :)

Reactions: Woncrinklz and mistykitty
Cottontail said:
Needless to say, at that point I’m pretty much awake. :)
Needless to say, at that point I'm pretty much awake ready for bed.:sleep::geek:

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy and Cottontail
Turfy said:
DO NOT work in the same room as your bed, or the same area as you do anything else (gaming, tv, etc). It needs to be its own separate space that only feels like workspace. Make it sacred. This is advice that the most successful work from homers swear by. You may not leave your home for work, but in your subconscious you still should; that is an important key to being able to maintain focus.
ABSOLUTELY. That's the biggest lesson I learned when the pandemic suddenly turned me into a work-from-home'er. I found that to be very important at the end of the day, so when I was done, could walk away and I really was done.

Nam Repaid said:
He did say he worked from home so I guess it's an honor system. My neighbor did that during the pandemic and was outside working on his garden all day.
It's good to be retired!
With systems like Paycom for managing total working time and payroll, along with shift management software that comes with all kinds of features, employers can easily keep track of what remote workers are doing.

This approach works especially in call center operations, benefitting the employees, the employer, abd, I believe, the clients. Workers often need to provide their own Internet service and sometimes computer equipment as well, but the savings in time and travel costs can easily justify that expense.

I usally get up an hour before work so I have time for coffee and breakfast

When I worked at jobs where I had to show up at a plant or an office I always liked to get there at least 20 minutes before my work began to get into a work frame of mind. Driving truck was a different animal and sometime I would crawl out of the bunk, whiz, do my vehicle inspection, and take off. Other days I needed a little time to get ready to face the day. Then again there were those who showed up to these fixed workplaces at the precise moment they were to begin work. Everyone seemed to have their own best time to get there but for me I’ve found if I get there on time I feel like I’m 20 minutes late. I’ve noticed that I’ve been wanting to get to work a bit earlier as the year go by, probably due to all my younger years of sliding in just as the shift clock was going off an realizing how that wears on you. I read about how people in our modern world start out they day 10 minutes late to their first appointment and by the end of the day they’re an hour late for their last appointment adding minutes of being late to everyone appointment. If you start out 20 minutes early to your first stop you’ve got a little cushion and anxiety about being late doesn’t become a factor.

Freddie07601 said:
With systems like Paycom for managing total working time and payroll, along with shift management software that comes with all kinds of features, employers can easily keep track of what remote workers are doing.

This approach works especially in call center operations, benefitting the employees, the employer, abd, I believe, the clients. Workers often need to provide their own Internet service and sometimes computer equipment as well, but the savings in time and travel costs can easily justify that expense.
I'm glad I'm salary and don't have to deal with that kind of micro management bs.

I know sleep feels great, but your brain probably isn't waking up fully. Still thinks it time to go back to Dreamland.

I think regardless of age. The brain needs some pre stimulation to really focus on the goals ahead. If you're not a breakfast person and everything is ready to go. Then I'd suggest walking for a few minutes and watching something online for 30 mins. If you can manage.

Personally I'm up two hours before, check my schedule, any special tasks? Breakfast, lunch clean up. Bathroom. Bag packed. Am I dressed groomed and presentable? Okay let's go!

I give myself an hr minimum. You have time to get ready, eat, and wake up fully. much better for productivity then going at it while still somewhat asleep. Though like was said before sleep needs vary so only way to know is to try it.

I appreciate the advice, at this rate whatever issue it was resolved itself. Partly moving my Alexa alarm back to my phone which has some sort of lullaby chime waking up.

Also been moving myself away from work PC after hours. But man that Alexa alarm would force me to go “Alexa stopppppp” every morning but now the chimes are smooth and if needed I can get up earlier without panicking with the alarm blaring.

Last edited:
I sleep 6 - 7 hrs , get up around 0400 have my time. Coffee , reading, watching news and a bit to eat. Off to work from 0700 - 1700 to bed by 20-2100 hrs .
Yeah not to exiting.

Back