How do you all determine how many diapers you’ll need for a week+ long trip (flying)?

i am ic and average between 3 to 4 diapers a day. wyen I travel, i take between 4 to 6 diapers on carry on. Thwn pack and extra day or so worth of diapers when i travel.

Reactions: Diprs2
EcoIncon said:
Agree packing the right amount can be totally stressful if you don't have a routine... For years this was a daunting task. 26 years of about 50% travel with incontinence has made this is a drill I know well...

I bring enough night diapers for one each night I am gone + 4 extra (2 for risk mitigation and 2 for travel on planes). I pack 2 day's worth of supplies in my carry-on (pull-ups, daytime diapers, bed pad, swim diaper, disposal bags, powder, wipes, and cream). I put the rest of my supplies in my checked bag.
  • If I'm going for 4 days or less, I will pack enough pull-ups and daytime diapers in my checked bag for the trip.
  • If I am gone 5-12 days, I'll buy daytime diapers at my destination (Mexico, Europe, USA, it's all easy... Middle East is more challenging).
  • If I am traveling for 12 days or more, I have day and night diapers shipped to my destination and pack enough for 4 days in case something happens with shipping.
This is super helpful! For the 5-12 days, do you just use store brand diapers? I love this idea but I’m not so fond of the grocery store variety. CVS has okay diapers but even those aren’t terrific.

Reactions: Diprs2 and EcoIncon
As normally the Chesirecat stole alot of my ideas or good advice lol and think you got some other good responses. But the need to restate it's better to over pack than under for me its prepare for the worse pray for the best as the cat mentioned depending where you are running out can suck or with luck I have, others would run out with an abdl store near by or someone that has high quality diapers me it's happen in podunk fortunately I did research see below. Also will mention below but Incase I forget my situation is tad bit different I am paralyzed so for me I do things slightly different.

So for me it honestly comes down to where I am going, so for example I am leaving technically today for Christmas break at real families house(I only have one blood brother but I have many not related family members) it's like a 3-4hr drive but being a holiday usually factor in double the time so I do have special use diapers I use for traveling(like the cat mentioned high absorbent). But besides traveling and potentially something else I really don't see the need for that many special use diapers so this trip I probably only need one special use and a booster but pack for worse case so 2 out 2 back & another 2 for just in case, because I am away from home I tend to follow my work or going out protocol which is daily diapers and boosters because though staying with family changes might be hard so on avg I use 6 diapers per day & 2 booster but days I work it's like 5 diapers 5 boosters worse case planning this trip I have packed for 5 days even though going for 3.5 usually pack 1-2 days more than needed. 6x5=30 diapers to make it easier my boosters are 12 per pk so packed 2. But I should mention I do have my daily diaper bag which in it has 5 daily diapers 1 special + 6 boosters so technically packed for 6 days but because I have memory issues I usually over stuff diaper bag.

Though I have used the medical baggage flies free program in US only it's usually for shorter trips anything 5 days or more because I am paralyzed and have enough issues yes it cost more I will ship diapers ahead of me and usually pack a military duffle bag aka sea bag you can get at most surplus stores if you weren't issued one but I can pack extras for return trip for shorter trips if I am checking a medical bag it's usually the sea bag as it can hold alot and has good carry options (though I never had an issue if flying in the CONUS rules madate it can only have medical products or supplies through technically gray area I do keep a spare set of clothes in that bag if possible & if asked it's in case of leaks which technically is true but have had my luggage lost few times so it's a backup).My carry on since I travel with my service dog I haven't had an issue yet(knocking on wood) having 1.5 carry on bags so in my main carry on I keep 2 days of diapers change of clothes all my meds and random stuff like laptop and other stuff the half bag I keep all my service dogs food for the trip and few things for him and anything I need that I can't fit in my bag it's like my go bags we can survive for 2 days and if I did my homework should by me time (re-reading this I may sound little paranoid or like I wear tinfoil hats but I swear I don't. I have to worked in a few different careers where it's best to be prepared for SHTF it's like I carry bearings for my wheelchair and Allen keys I bet day I don't have them I will need them)

Also a thing I do if I am heading to a certain area which I might be in for a bit is 2.5 big things talk to the company where I order diapers from and see shipping time if I needed to get more shipped there, but I also look up medical supply places to see what they carry in stock(you must ask in stock some advertise things not on hand) here is the thing even if it's not something you normally use there is probably something you have used that could be used in an emergency, so for example one of the times my luggage was lost I knew I couldn't get a shipment overnighted but local supply place had something that was better than nothing. But where this also helps if you you can extend your trip so like the best I found was Abena though cloth backed, but have also found Tena & boosters I wasn't familiar with. So I basically worn the Tena & boosters when I could or knew I could change and rationed the extras I packed. The 0.5 I do have a backup company I occasionally order from that is usually good with quick shipping

As for water activity there was a recent post about this but short version Rearz, Incontrol, and think Protex have these latex type pants(https://rearz.ca/transparent-seamless-latex-brief/) it's sort of like a $25 scratch ticket your a winner or thanks for the donation. Being rubber or latex they are made to be super tight and if they don't rip or break(being paralyzed getting them on is a task & half) they actually create a tight seal around your legs and waist when they didn't break or rip I was able to wear NS Supreme/L4/Dry24/7 with and with our boosters and had no issues whatsoever no leaks in or out. Not sure if it's the reason but old job I wore a drysuit with vulcanized rubber gasket around hands and neck and we coated them well with cornstarch based baby powder and I found those latex pants to be similar. I did get the idea from a great guy on YouTube but they admit when his wife helps him their less likely to have issues being single I have only had help once other times it's a small workout. I do want to add depending on your situation and another thing I tried & potentially be easier for someone without a disability there is a brand called SOSecure they are fleece like almost like a diaper cover I normally put a cloth prefold in it to get me to the pool also will take small voids but once wet it's getting wet and usually crack open leg hole as I am getting out to drain water out. But if a bathroom is sort of close or say on a beach or somewhere you can put a towel over yourself discreetly you could get a high absorbent pad and slip it in and out

Sorry for long reply but not easy post to answer shortly.

Hope your trip goes well and without issues. Also remember wherever you go unless it's a place you been before the chances someone will know you is extremely low unless you have my kinda luck, I am not implying to do anything irrational, but also don't be nervous enjoy yourself & have fun. It's like I did a long road trip(where I stopped was like 1000mi away from home) and had a Mommy Caren(legit ones start with that letter lol) repeatability knocking on family bathroom door, I may of taken my time with that change you can't rush them haha & mind you she more options than me, but she waited and of course she made a comment that bathroom for diaper changes, as I was in the doorway sort of rolling slowly I pointed to the w/c figure and was like see that thats a thinner me so it's for me too and I wasn't baking a cake sorry I have to change myself but if your heading same direction and want to help me next time I can call you she didn't say anything as I rolled away(if I was anywhere close to home I may of made a comment of it being a disabled bathroom which I do anyways or some sarcastic reply.)

Reactions: Diprs2, CheshireCat and enthusi
enthusi said:
This is super helpful! For the 5-12 days, do you just use store brand diapers? I love this idea but I’m not so fond of the grocery store variety. CVS has okay diapers but even those aren’t terrific.
i will use store brands if I must … I am probably in the minority on this site as I find depend pull-ups completely acceptable. I prefer better diapers but Depends work ok for my situation.

However, it is also generally not too hard to find a medical supply store that sells better diapers and I will usually check out options in advance. Sometimes like in Chicago, Las Vegas, Seattle, etc, you will find great options that turn a pain into an adventure!

Last edited:
EcoIncon said:
i will do this if I must … I am probably in the minority on this site as I find depend pull-ups completely acceptable. I prefer better diapers but Depends work ok for my situation.

However, it is also generally not too hard to find a medical supply store that sells better diapers and I will usually check out options in advance. Sometimes like in Chicago, Las Vegas, Seattle, etc, you will find great options that turn a pain into an adventure!
Though yes it's rare but like I have said a few times in other posts not everyone needs a 5k diaper and in reality there are many that for whatever reason uses others just fine like I know a handful that use Tranquility ATN and it works for the most part.

As for the last part in my long reply that's actually something I do as part of my pre-trip planning is see if there is a local medical supply place with something halfway decent not only for emergencies and it's saved me but I have had chances to extend trips and for me because I take a medication that increases my output I do find I don't have many choices, but it was on one of my trips I found a place they had diapers I never heard of at the time which were better dry but recommended them. The next time I was in the area I stopped in and they had small abdl setup now I think it's half the business but haven't been out that way in a bit. But it's good to know where to get them like it may cost me little more but I would call ahead and make sure they had my size and probably order from them vs packing them.

Reactions: Diprs2 and enthusi
enthusi said:
Yes this does help. I used to pack a lot of swim diapers for tropical weather vacations, but not really any more. They’re basically useless for me. They don’t really protect against urine loss and I have enough bowel control that I don’t have to worry that. For me the struggle with beaches and pools is what to do when I’m out of the water for short periods of time. Usually I just wear dark trunks and if I leak a little so be it. “Luckily” my bladder has shrunk to the point where I don’t really create a puddle any more and I’m sure to shower before returning to the pool.
I was lucky enough to fine some yellow swimming shorts that had a good pattern so that when they got wet (with wee) it did not show. I would then just go for a quick dip in the sea to make everything look authentic!
For airline travel I just make sure I have enough nappies for the travel day itself in my carry-on bag and then I allow another just in case my baggage does not arrive. But I am soon to go on a ten day trip to Australia, so that will be ten night time nappies (probably Tykables cammies) and pull-ups for the day and some Kiddo ‘let’s build’ as back-up. They are my go-to nappy if I want something a bit more substantial for the day.
Are there any nappy shops in Melbourne? If so I will go with many fewer and buy them on arrival.

A lot of in depth replies, apologies, but my method is simple. I wear 2 diapers per day. Multiply by the number of days and add a few for unexpected changes. I travel by car most of the time and if I did fly I'd already have a supply on the other end for me. I kept about 40 diapers in my trunk the last trip and I used most of them. On my drives to and from WI, TX I wear the one during my drive and a few extras in case. If I stop half way I bring an extra 2.

I failed this lesson today, as my flight back home is canceled with no alternatives until tomorrow, and I'm looking at my last two diapers like it's the end of the world.

• Wow
Reactions: Teddy02, Diprs2 and CheshireCat
IncontinentBro said:
I failed this lesson today, as my flight back home is canceled with no alternatives until tomorrow, and I'm looking at my last two diapers like it's the end of the world.
Not good bro. You should have been better prepared, especially given your avatar! LOL.
On a more serious note, do you have any options to pick up a pack of anything to get you through today?

I'm travelling next week and this always pops into my head a few days in advance. Per 24 hour period I usually pack one diaper (for sleeping) and three pull-ups, and in addition for every 5-7 days I will add one more diaper in case I accidentally poke a hole in one putting it on (yep, done it) or run into a faulty tape (I'm sure we all have). Like a previous post mentioned, I get by fine with Depend pull ups during the day and can use them at night in a pinch if I need to. One challenge on the upcoming trip is we are staying with some friends for two days, so I might just opt for the pull ups 24/7 during that time. Not my preference, but even after 6 years, I still prefer not to advertise my incontinence.

Back