How do I stop swearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I could use the santa thing to stop me swearing, being a good girl for santa sounds good!

Angelic said:
I hate swearing with a passion, It sounds disgusting and a little girl shouldn't swear.

The thing is my family that I grew up around swore and used vulgar language. My college is full of idiots that swear their heads off and I am actually picking it up and it's making me swear and I don't want to swear !

How can I stop it for once and for all?

Angelic it is practice and they are lots of diffrent ways to counteract swearing.
One was if a word is sliping out like foxkits says is defusing it like Sh-amrock, Fu-ffy, He-el and you c-carious little thing.

Another way at you can counteract things is through just saying the first or second letter.
If you acsedently hit your head you can just say Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff!
or shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
or red dwarfs Criten Smmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

:) Your not actually swearing and once you get the hang of it you can keep doing that or use a defusing methard.
Some parents are mean so they may not like you using the fffffffff and shhhhhhhhhh methard because they could turn around and say. "You was about to swear wasn't you?":wallbash:

One of my out of character methods is total gibberish.
It sounds like I am speaking in a different language or as my kin jokes "stop speaking in tongues!"
It is not there to offend anyone and to me it is a great frustration at something that is what it means to me. Give it a go try saying this.

agwoing osweio sdjwoingoia osinog sdjo aosdjf

instead of swearing.

It is a matter of actively paying attention to what you say and picking the right words instead of the wrong ones. While at first it may require some mental effort, after a while it just becomes natural and you'll find yourself speaking in a "cleaner" way.

Sheepies said:
I've kicked some swearing habits that I picked up from hanging around with the wrong crowd of people before. You tend to swear more when with certain people or in certain situations. Really what it comes down to is being more cautious and careful about what you say. Think before you speak and over time you'll get used to using less swears.

^ Something like this happened to me too not long ago. I had been working for a number of years with some colleagues/customers who made a massive use of swear words and blasphemy, and I realized my vocabulary was being influenced by that. Actively paying attention to how they spoke allowed me to realize how unnecessarily rude I found their ways of communicating, and I told myself "Hey, I don't want to end up like that!" And, as Sheepies said, being more cautious and thinking before you speak is the way to go if you feel yourself getting influenced by the impolite manners of the people around you.

littlelodgewrecker said:
educate yourself in intellectual pursuits such that you may express yourself articulately and with eloquence..... (you won't need foul language to make your point)

Also this. You may be expressing the same concept, but instinctively I think people tend to give more credit to somebody who can explain themselves in a calm and polite manner rather than recurring to swear words to deliver an idea.

tiny said:
And swearing also has an impressive effect on pain and endurance. So next time you stub your toe, or feel those muscles burn on your workout, shout obscenities at the top of your voice and you'll feel much better... :biggrin:

I know the feeling too well :biggrin: But more self control can take care of that :tongueout: :cool:

Angellothefox said:
Angelic it is practice and they are lots of diffrent ways to counteract swearing.
One was if a word is sliping out like foxkits says is defusing it like Sh-amrock, Fu-ffy, He-el and you c-carious little thing.

Another way at you can counteract things is through just saying the first or second letter.
If you acsedently hit your head you can just say Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff!
or shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
or red dwarfs Criten Smmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

:) Your not actually swearing and once you get the hang of it you can keep doing that or use a defusing methard.
Some parents are mean so they may not like you using the fffffffff and shhhhhhhhhh methard because they could turn around and say. "You was about to swear wasn't you?":wallbash:

One of my out of character methods is total gibberish.
It sounds like I am speaking in a different language or as my kin jokes "stop speaking in tongues!"
It is not there to offend anyone and to me it is a great frustration at something that is what it means to me. Give it a go try saying this.

agwoing osweio sdjwoingoia osinog sdjo aosdjf

instead of swearing.

Hehe, smeegg, heeeeaaaad! I love red dwarf I wtach it with my dad. Surprisingly red dwarf doesn't really swear buts it's hilarious! :)

Angelic said:
Hehe, smeegg, heeeeaaaad! I love red dwarf I wtach it with my dad. Surprisingly red dwarf doesn't really swear buts it's hilarious! :)

Ha ha! Can Kryten overcome his programming to "swear"? I love it!

[video=youtube;RXKlC8ph7mM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXKlC8ph7mM[/video]

The word "smeg" as a substitute swearword has always puzzled me. Supposedly, the writers (Rob Grant & Doug Naylor) weren't familiar with the slang "smeg", as an abbreviation of "smegma". But... I'm not sure if I believe that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smeg

P.S. DO NOT click on the link to "smegma" on that Wikipedia page unless you actually want to see it in situ. There should be a warning on pages like that. :bleh:

The weirdest thing is that there's a refrigerator brand called Smeg. That's so gross! Who'd want a fridge with smeg on it? :giggles:

I will say it takes time and practice, and more time, lol.
But you can do it.
I used to curse more then any one girl should. Like truck driver, sailor on leave bad, lol.

I still do curse, but no where near as much as I once did, one of my favs (thank you Battlestar Galactica) is Frack.
When I do something like stub my toe, bang into something, the occasional "motherf*cker" still comes out thou. lol

Its important to note there is a difference between cursing on occasion and doing it just for the sake if doing it.
"they don't know what they are doing" sounds better and gets the point across more when its said "they don't know what the hell they are doing" lol.
Sometimes no other words fit the situation better then "fuck it" lol.

Its not just trying to stop completely, but learning how to be more selective on how and when you do use curse words. that's the trick :)

tiny said:
Ha ha! Can Kryten overcome his programming to "swear"? I love it!

[video=youtube;RXKlC8ph7mM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXKlC8ph7mM[/video]

The word "smeg" as a substitute swearword has always puzzled me. Supposedly, the writers (Rob Grant & Doug Naylor) weren't familiar with the slang "smeg", as an abbreviation of "smegma". But... I'm not sure if I believe that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smeg

P.S. DO NOT click on the link to "smegma" on that Wikipedia page unless you actually want to see it in situ. There should be a warning on pages like that. :bleh:

The weirdest thing is that there's a refrigerator brand called Smeg. That's so gross! Who'd want a fridge with smeg on it? :giggles:
Haha, eww!

MandyBear said:
I will say it takes time and practice, and more time, lol.
But you can do it.
I used to curse more then any one girl should. Like truck driver, sailor on leave bad, lol.

I still do curse, but no where near as much as I once did, one of my favs (thank you Battlestar Galactica) is Frack.
When I do something like stub my toe, bang into something, the occasional "motherf*cker" still comes out thou. lol

Its important to note there is a difference between cursing on occasion and doing it just for the sake if doing it.
"they don't know what they are doing" sounds better and gets the point across more when its said "they don't know what the hell they are doing" lol.
Sometimes no other words fit the situation better then "fuck it" lol.

Its not just trying to stop completely, but learning how to be more selective on how and when you do use curse words. that's the trick :)

"Fudge it" wait that sounds worse. :sweatdrop:

I'm a truck driver, so there's no hope for me...

Jamieboy said:
I'm a truck driver, so there's no hope for me...

No Fing hope for me then as I'm a truck driver as Fing well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's just impossible for me to stop cussing. I've been accustomed to that language ever since I started talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back