How do I find an ABDL aware therapist

Kayleigh

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Based on recent events in my life, I believe I will benefit from finding a therapist. I want one who is ABDL - aware although I am not sure if I will lead with that topic. There are other issues I need to discuss, although ABDL is definitely an issue. I want to prepared if I get the courage to introduce the topic. Since I am male with some sissy interests should I look for a female or male therapist - does it make a difference?
Any suggestions as to where to look for one, how to find out if the therapist is ABDL-aware, how or when or even if I should introduce ABDL , or anything else would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance. BTW, I live on Long Island, NY.

Reactions: medfet878, PP6, Kittyinpink and 2 others
My therapist was not aware of ABDL but he was willing to listen and learn and ask questions that made me really comfortable to talk to in the long run. So even if the therapist is not aware of it a lot will listing to you and not judge as you would think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rezzu, medfet878, PP6 and 2 others
I would say it is up to you personally and only you if you wish to speak to a female or male therapist. When I tried therapy for depression I got 3 free visits at work and didn't have health insurance. But I felt and still would feel more comfortable with a female. I do not know why that is. I did talk about abdl. On one visit. I do not remember how the talk went on her end. I just remember being ashamed bringing it up and she deffinately made me feel comfortable. I never saw her again after that as I didn't have the money to seek mental help assistance. I am considering re looking now that I'm better financially and worse mentally.

Reactions: medfet878
While it is possible you could find a therapist who is ABDL Aware, it is more important to find a therapist who is competent in the areas that you need addressed from the Based on recent events in my life that you state. Most therapists will accept you who you are, although acceptance doesn't mean you need to change (no pun intended). While there are different goals in therapy; e.g. decrease depression or anxiety and improve mood; there is really only one universal goal: CHANGE. I think the best approach is for you to talk with a few therapists on the phone prior to scheduling an appointment to help you determine if there is a good fit for you. I would recommend that you bring up what you want to work on and change in your life, and if ABDL is part of that you should bring that up.

Reactions: Lightstreak2553, medfet878 and PP6
Them being male or female only matters with whom you feel more comfortable talking to.

As far as AB/DL I would say that is a subject probably not specialized in very often.
But!! Any therapist who is aware of or specialized in BDSM/Kinks should have no problems with the idea.

If you have insurance you should be able to search thru their list of providers by subject.
Anxiety, Depression, BDSM/Kink, ect ect.

I feel you should start with what is troubling you now (life changes) and then go into your more personal things once you get comfortable with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: medfet878 and lilstevie56
Dr. Rhoda Lipscomb does video sessions for therapy if you’re not in Colorado.

Reactions: Moonshot, slipperywhenwet, FudgedInLuvs and 3 others
You could try looking for a therapist in the Kink and Poly Aware Professionals Directory, organized by the National Coalition for Sexual Freedom.

Every therapist working in / with emotions, family issues and mental health should know about regression and more, it should be difficult to surprise a good therapist.
-
WE
PP (and more)

Reactions: medfet878, tiny and Tangela
Personally I prefer a female therapist to talk about abdl related stuff, just because I feel 10x more comfortable. I don't think you necessary need a "kink specialized" one, since not only there are other things you want to discuss, but abdl per se can be much more than a kink.

About talking about the subject: I saw over the years many that are against bringing such topic to therapy, because it's unnecessary, just a kink, etc. I disagree. If there are aspects of abdl that are bothering you, preventing you to be the best version of yourself, you should talk; that is what therapy is all about: you pay someone to talk about stuff you want to, but don't/can't with friends/family.

You don't need bring the subject right away. Discuss other topics, build trust, make sure is a person you like (and a good professional), just like any other relationship. This is not a race; you can spend months talking about other things until you are comfortable enough. Take your time.

Personal experience: when the time comes, yes, it will be painful/shameful, yes, you will feel bad at the moment. But after that, it just gets better. Way better than before. I've build so much trust after talking about the subject. Having someone that listen to you, then proceeds to understand you, then helps you better manage this side of you can be a life changer. I started to wonder how come I could have so much shame of something so simple/harmless.

For example: It's crazy how society is so dull that abusing legal drugs, some of which are literally poison, is not only accepted but sometimes encouraged and glamours, while liking to use diapers is not. Therapy will help you realize things like this, things like following social norms isn't very smart, after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joeysms and Rezzu
Everyone has really good advice and the only thing i will add is sometimes it takes a little trial and error. Ive had dozens of therapists in my life and accept for one, they where all encouraging and open. Most of them had never heard of abdl or someone finding comfort in diapers. But ive found you learn about yourself as you explain to them the comfort and serenity that comes with wearing diapers. Its great to have someone to listen and bounce ideas of off..but if i felt we werent making progress or we didnt gel well i had to find another therapist. So i would say be careful not to sell yourself short just because the therapist is onboard with diapers. Eventually youll find a therapist that is right for you. Good luck 👍 😀

Reactions: Rezzu, Tangela and Kittyinpink
Today I made an absolute fool of myself hosting a BBQ and getting so drunk that I was literally walked off my site.. now , sober and no alcohol to hand , I'm wearing a diaper and actually feeling good! Whenever I wear , I feel so much better! I love my diapers and never want to be cured! That said I hope you Kaleigh find peace and a good therapist and I wish you the best 😊.. me .. I know I'm nuts! And I no longer care... So I just try every day to be happy! Life is to confusing to me to ever understand , so I don't bother thinking about it!!

Kayleigh said:
Based on recent events in my life, I believe I will benefit from finding a therapist. I want one who is ABDL - aware although I am not sure if I will lead with that topic. There are other issues I need to discuss, although ABDL is definitely an issue. I want to prepared if I get the courage to introduce the topic. Since I am male with some sissy interests should I look for a female or male therapist - does it make a difference?
Any suggestions as to where to look for one, how to find out if the therapist is ABDL-aware, how or when or even if I should introduce ABDL , or anything else would be appreciated.
A little crisis can lead you to some really great changes in life. If I can offer any suggestion from my therapy - be authentic. In fact, brutally honest. And open to possibilities. Best of luck!

• Love
Reactions: Tangela and SecrertSissy
Here's a web site I found that may be helpful. You can choose the areas of special interest to you to find therapists that specialize in that area.

CLICK HERE to get there. Here's an example of a therapist's profile I found in the San Francisco bay area.

Rachel Robbins

Psy.D.
I see people with a range of sexual, relationship, and gender identities and experiences, including LGBQIQA2S, BDSM, sexual variations, non-monogamy, non binary genders and fluidity, and sex workers. I work through sexuality/gender/relationship related concerns, and support those folks with the other aspects of their...

San Francisco, CA

Last edited:
Reactions: medfet878
Hi Kayleigh,

There is a lot of good advice here already. My experience was that I went to some "typical" therapists for other issues but when I broached the subject of ABDL, they weren't sure what to do with me and leading up to coming out about this to them was a personal hurdle. It was when I went to a kink-aware therapist where the reason for my coming in was my stress and anxiety about ABDL that things massively improved. So in my experience, going in with ABDL as the reason for the therapy was incredibly helpful -- there was no building up to anything because that was the reason for the therapy, and the therapist was totally understanding about ABDL and it was not viewed as a flaw or damage or something to be overcome.

I live in New Jersey so I found the following therapy group (Institute for Personal Growth) -- I don't know what branches they may have in New York: https://ipgcounseling.com/

Anyway, I wish you the best and I hope you get the respect you deserve and the peace you need.

Be well,

Tab

Reactions: jessicalondon, PNW509Little, Tangela and 1 other person
Thanks everyone for a lot of great suggestions and support.

Reactions: Tangela
TabulaRasa2017 said:
Hi Kayleigh,

There is a lot of good advice here already. My experience was that I went to some "typical" therapists for other issues but when I broached the subject of ABDL, they weren't sure what to do with me and leading up to coming out about this to them was a personal hurdle. It was when I went to a kink-aware therapist where the reason for my coming in was my stress and anxiety about ABDL that things massively improved. So in my experience, going in with ABDL as the reason for the therapy was incredibly helpful -- there was no building up to anything because that was the reason for the therapy, and the therapist was totally understanding about ABDL and it was not viewed as a flaw or damage or something to be overcome.

I live in New Jersey so I found the following therapy group (Institute for Personal Growth) -- I don't know what branches they may have in New York: https://ipgcounseling.com/

Anyway, I wish you the best and I hope you get the respect you deserve and the peace you need.

Be well,

Tab
Interesting comment, never thought from that perspective. How nice is to have a place to share different experiences, thanks!

Edit: I'm being sincere, if it seemed otherwise I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kittyinpink and Kayleigh
I’ve never herd of ABDL aware although my therapist has known for 17 years . I always dress in public
ok clothing but obviously very babyish clothing . It’s really no big deal in fact it shows you have a innocence about you and that’s what counts the trust you must have with your therapist . I wear diapers 24/7 due to a severe auto accident my bladder does not function . After several years of physical therapy to regain how to walk I really did not care what others think about me . I’m here alive that’s what counts ❤️🥰❤️

Reactions: Joeysms, Happy2BeInNappies2 and Kittyinpink
Subtlerustle said:
Dr. Rhoda Lipscomb does video sessions for therapy if you’re not in Colorado.
I'm with Subtlerustle! Not only does Rhoda do video sessions, she is absolutely amazing to work with. Even if you don't do sessions with her, her books "No More Hiding" and now the new ABDL specific "You're Not Broken" are life changing for someone who is struggling with any aspect of being ABDL.

Reactions: jessicalondon, slipperywhenwet, Subtlerustle and 2 others
BabyTahani said:
I’ve never herd of ABDL aware although my therapist has known for 17 years . I always dress in public
ok clothing but obviously very babyish clothing . It’s really no big deal in fact it shows you have a innocence about you and that’s what counts the trust you must have with your therapist . I wear diapers 24/7 due to a severe auto accident my bladder does not function . After several years of physical therapy to regain how to walk I really did not care what others think about me . I’m here alive that’s what counts ❤️🥰❤️
I'm very glad that you are alive! And thank you for sharing your story 😊. You and us make a amazing community! And you look cute to me! 🤗 Hugs a plenty!!

Kayleigh said:
If you want, PM me. I know of a couple of ABDL/kink friendly therapists in the NY area - most of them offer zoom services if you can't get to the city. I can give ya names. Personally, it's been really helpful to talk to someone who is already knowledgeable about these things.

Reactions: Joeysms and Kittyinpink
Back