How did your mom handle your bed wetting in the 80’s?

Pampers4Ever said:
Mine was handled with Pampers. At the age of 6 - 9 years old. I was still in diapers at night. Mommy did mess with plastic sheets, wet pj’s and tons of laundry. I always had a box of Pampers in my room along with changing supplies.

I remember being diapered after a bath and before bed. I didn’t have to worry about how much fluids I had before bedtime and she never became angry with me about a wet diaper the next morning. It was just part of my sleep wear. If I did wake up wet, I would wake her and she would change me into clean Pampers for the rest of the night.

It was great not to worry about my little problem. No one said anything about it. When I did stay at my Ants house she would take care of it. Sometimes she would use Huggies as that’s what she liked to use on her own kids. Both brands fit me perfectly.
Sounds like heaven.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: southeastlittle and Deleted member 56273
Pampers4Ever said:
So sad that moms were so against diapers. Would have made everyone’s life so much better. Pampers up to 18. People would buy them if they showed that it’s okay for people of any age to wear protection.
She got so frustrated with the bedwetting. The doctors couldn't figure out why but recommend I use protection. 14 is to old for diapers. It's not like I did it on purpose. It made life a living hell.

I was in diapers every night till i was 7 - sometimes in the day. Sounds pretty much the same as others, but with having a younger brother by 3 years, mom tried to keep us on same kind of changing schedule. Right after dinner it was clean up and diapers on (or changed for my brother). Never having stopped needing diapers at night, mom just kept buying them while they continued to fit me. We were a pampers family and so it was pampers plus for me - i even remember wearing the blue for boys ones. Younger bro would go to bed and I would get to stay up for a bit longer. When it was time for getting tucked in and a story, mom always checked my diaper. Because those diapers didn't have refastenable tapes, it wasn't like i could just take it off to go pee so I was just expected to use it until it was changed to taken off. Every morning mom or dad would wake us up (i shared a room with my brother) and diapers were always checked/changed in the morning. My rents were supportive, never negative or dismissive, but there were times where i was told i would have to wear a diaper and i had meltdowns.

[advertisment photo post]

@dpcare this was informative thank ya

Luckily in the 80's I was small enough for baby diapers, luvs or pampers usually and pull ups when they came on the market I think I was 8 years old when I first wore pull ups. The 80's were a great time.

RothwellBC said:
I was in diapers every night till i was 7 - sometimes in the day. Sounds pretty much the same as others, but with having a younger brother by 3 years, mom tried to keep us on same kind of changing schedule. Right after dinner it was clean up and diapers on (or changed for my brother). Never having stopped needing diapers at night, mom just kept buying them while they continued to fit me. We were a pampers family and so it was pampers plus for me - i even remember wearing the blue for boys ones. Younger bro would go to bed and I would get to stay up for a bit longer. When it was time for getting tucked in and a story, mom always checked my diaper. Because those diapers didn't have refastenable tapes, it wasn't like i could just take it off to go pee so I was just expected to use it until it was changed to taken off. Every morning mom or dad would wake us up (i shared a room with my brother) and diapers were always checked/changed in the morning. My rents were supportive, never negative or dismissive, but there were times where i was told i would have to wear a diaper and i had meltdowns.

Meltdowns??? Are you on the Autistic Spectrum? I am. I don't wear diapers, although I'm in my late 40s, and my body is starting to deteriorate, so who knows when I may need to wear them? For now, I'm okay. But things can change. I sometimes now have diarrhea which can result in me almost not making it to the toilet. A few times I crapped on myself. This didn't happen in my 30s, I'd been able to hold it, but now?? I don't know.

- longallsboy

Last edited:
I outgrew diapers at 5-6, and slept in wet beds and did a lot of laundry from then to the mid-teens. Went back to diapers when I was old enough to purchase them myself.

Never did outgrow it, and doctors in my late teens said it would likely be with me forever.

longallsboy said:
Meltdowns??? Are you on the Autistic Spectrum? I am. I don't wear diapers, although I'm in my late 40s, and my body is starting to deteriorate, so who knows when I may need to wear them? For now, I'm okay. But things can change. I sometimes now have diarrhea which can result in me almost not making it to the toilet. A few times I crapped on myself. This didn't happen in my 30s, I'd been able to hold it, but now?? I don't know.

- longallsboy
LOL - ya "meltdowns" like kicking and screaming, crying... those times when you're parents need to give you a serious 'time-out' LOL... they usually happened when i was being changed in public places..

• Wow
Reactions: longallsboy
I wore Pampers to bed
i was skinny kid and pullups didn't exist yet
sometimes blue Pampers sometimes pink sometimes some white diaper
at age 12 i started changing my self
Goodnites came out around the same time or so

Reactions: sledder23
My mom was diapered me in Luvs or Pampers until I outgrew them and we went to attends or depends, forget which. Neither of my parents blamed me, for my bedwetting, which I am thankful for. When I would stay with my cousin, (also a bedwetter) my aunt or uncle would diaper me, the were cool with it too. My one cousin sometimes teased us when he got out of pull-ups, but my aunt and uncle made him apologize.

Reactions: sledder23
I remember my grandma putting me in a Huggies diaper when I was 5 or 6 (around 1994) because I wet the bed, but I didn't get to wear them at home. My parents never once considered diapers for my bedwetting that went on for years so I dealt with wet sheets. I also remember laying there watching tv on the couch in my diaper wishing I could wet it but I couldn't for some reason

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexande and longallsboy
My grandparents raised me till I was mine. Thay had plastic sheets on my bed.no diapers.

Alexande said:
My grandparents raised me till I was mine. Thay had plastic sheets on my bed.no diapers.

Do you mean "nine", not "mine"? It sounds like you may have.

- longallsboy

I wore Pampers until they didn't fit, around age 9 or so, and then moved on to Youth Attends.

Reactions: Absorblock
I talked to my mom and she said I was potty trained at three but continued bed wetting until almost 6. That would have put me in 1980-1982ish. She said that they just put garbage bags down on my mattress and let me go to town lol. She said I was so proud when I stopped.

I asked how my dad handled it because I remember wetting my diaper during potty training and he got mad and yelled. She said she doesn’t understand because my dad was never that way. She said he was really loving and caring during my bed wetting.

Back