How did your mom handle your bed wetting in the 80’s?

Pampers4Ever

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Mine was handled with Pampers. At the age of 6 - 9 years old. I was still in diapers at night. Mommy did mess with plastic sheets, wet pj’s and tons of laundry. I always had a box of Pampers in my room along with changing supplies.

I remember being diapered after a bath and before bed. I didn’t have to worry about how much fluids I had before bedtime and she never became angry with me about a wet diaper the next morning. It was just part of my sleep wear. If I did wake up wet, I would wake her and she would change me into clean Pampers for the rest of the night.

It was great not to worry about my little problem. No one said anything about it. When I did stay at my Ants house she would take care of it. Sometimes she would use Huggies as that’s what she liked to use on her own kids. Both brands fit me perfectly.

Reactions: longallsboy, RothwellBC, toddlerPampers and 2 others
No big deal. It was before Goodnites so my mom just launder my bedding after waking up for the day. When I wake up wet, I just go to the bathroom to take off my wet underwear (and pajamas if I was wearing them), grab a bath towel, lay towel over the wet spot, put on clean underwear and/or pajamas, and then go back to sleep. I believe that was the norm thing to do rather than have the older kids wear some kind of protection. I did have a cloth backed vinyl pads under the fitted sheets to catch the wetting and keeping the mattress from being ruined.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Deleted member 39574
Lucky 80s sound so much better than the 70s. Course your mom handled allot better than mine.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Deleted member 39574
jamiejamie said:
No big deal. It was before Goodnites so my mom just launder my bedding after waking up for the day. When I wake up wet, I just go to the bathroom to take off my wet underwear (and pajamas if I was wearing them), grab a bath towel, lay towel over the wet spot, put on clean underwear and/or pajamas, and then go back to sleep. I believe that was the norm thing to do rather than have the older kids wear some kind of protection. I did have a cloth backed vinyl pads under the fitted sheets to catch the wetting and keeping the mattress from being ruined.
Exact same here.

Reactions: Diprs2 and jamiejamie
By the 80s I was back in nappies at night and expected to deal with it my self.

Reactions: Diprs2
I was still small enough to wear old-school training pants and plastic pants until I was 6. That might be why I like them to this day.

It wouldn’t have been my mom in the ‘80s, it would’ve been my wife! Back in the early ‘60s when my mom asked me what “I” thought “we” should do about “my” bed wetting I told her that I thought we should try plastic pants again. She said that she didn’t think that they would do much good with out diapers, cloth in those days, to absorb the liquid. Unfortunately I turned down that option as I didn’t want anything between my polymer pals and my tushie. That could’ve been at least 3 years of not waking up in a wet bed before I finally quit wetting the bed at around age 10.

T
Zeke said:
It wouldn’t have been my mom in the ‘80s, it would’ve been my wife! Back in the early ‘60s when my mom asked me what “I” thought “we” should do about “my” bed wetting I told her that I thought we should try plastic pants again. She said that she didn’t think that they would do much good with out diapers, cloth in those days, to absorb the liquid. Unfortunately I turned down that option as I didn’t want anything between my polymer pals and my tushie. That could’ve been at least 3 years of not waking up in a wet bed before I finally quit wetting the bed at around age 10.
Thats too bad. It would have been nice if she would have brought up the conversation again.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Zeke
It was actually exciting for me to go grocery shopping with mom on Saturdays only to end up in the baby section picking up another box of Pampers. Just as normal as anything else she picked up from the grocery store. I can remember wearing Ultra Pampers and moving over to Ultra Pampers Plus in the gold and blue packs. After growing out of Pampers, she started buying Attends from wal-mart. That’s when I started taking care of it myself. I grew out of bed wetting a couple of years later and the diaper fell into the background of my childhood. In my early teens, I ended up in a car accident that left me IC so it was back to diapers.

Reactions: RothwellBC and Diprs2
jamiejamie said:
Sorry if I violated the rule for commenting in incontinence forum. Thought I’d comment since I did have nocturnal incontinence from birth til 5th/6th grade. Other than that, I don’t comment on anything else.

jamiejamie said:
That was pretty much the norm for me when I was growing up and living at home in the 1970s. I had a rubber sheet on my bed and a thick cotton absorbing pad on top of that. Sometimes my mom put all the wet bedding and pjs into the laundry in the morning and sometimes she hung some or all of it on the line outside to dry if the weather was nice. She'd always rinse the absorbing pad and pjs before doing this but not the sheets. By the time I got into my early teens me and my older brother had to put our own wet laundry into the washing machine in the morning and change our own beds.

mikesecret said:
That was pretty much the norm for me when I was growing up and living at home in the 1970s. I had a rubber sheet on my bed and a thick cotton absorbing pad on top of that. Sometimes my mom put all the wet bedding and pjs into the laundry in the morning and sometimes she hung some or all of it on the line outside to dry if the weather was nice. She'd always rinse the absorbing pad and pjs before doing this but not the sheets. By the time I got into my early teens me and my older brother had to put our own wet laundry into the washing machine in the morning and change our own beds.
Did you hope for other ways of handling it? Sounds like pin-on cloth diapers and plastic pant would be a good option.

I wonder what it was like before Pampers came out to have bed wetting children. Did they make cloth diapers and plastic pants for older children and adults? Was this apart of the diaper service offings back then?

Pampers4Ever said:
I wonder what it was like before Pampers came out to have bed wetting children. Did they make cloth diapers and plastic pants for older children and adults? Was this apart of the diaper service offings back then?
4665855875_f3ccd8e16c.jpg348_StayDry_Panties.jpgSANIPAC1.JPGVtg-Salk-Pro-pant-Flannel-Lined-Plastic-Vinyl-Pants.jpgthumbnail (5).jpg

Reactions: ik02, Pamperhead, Hahaurfnuuy and 3 others
I wet the bed till I was 12 I had 3younger sisters who didn't, Mum took me to hospital for it for a while, can remember the female doc being so nice to me she gave mum a crinkly mattress cover & vinyl pants elasticited legs that crinkled looking back mum put them on for me every night, Dad used to say maybe to put my little sisters nightdress on too then it stopped, maybe that's why now at 50 I pay a young mistress to treat & talk to me as a 3yrs old little girl in my Nappy Dorothy in white tights pink frilly dress pink mary-janes blonde wig pink bows and dummy xx

Reactions: Deleted member 68367 and Diprs2
I had a few pairs of the Staidly Panties when I was a teenager.

Laundry lots of laundry, alerm clock's.plastic sheets.the wet alert pad.but no diapers mom sed no diapers.

So sad that moms were so against diapers. Would have made everyone’s life so much better. Pampers up to 18. People would buy them if they showed that it’s okay for people of any age to wear protection.

Reactions: southeastlittle and Alexande
Back