How can I overcome the embarrassment of buying diapers at the store

I purchase diapers exclusively online. I just don't sell any in stores that are worth buying. I certainly have purchased from stores however. Has multiple people have said initially? It is pretty embarrassing. I think something that's key to remember however is that you're not special. I don't mean that in any derogatory sense. Those employees simply don't care what you are purchasing. They are just doing their jobs like everyone else.

It really helps once you recognize people just don't care what you are buying. If we turn shopping into some big ordeal we are causing ourself, unnecessary stress and anxiety. Just remember people legitimately don't care what you are purchasing from a store.

Reactions: BBBen, BobbiSueEllen and mistykitty
Just a few weeks ago I ordered a samples of the tena pro skin diapers from healthwick and I enjoyed then as a sort term diaper so I don't waist my better diaper not fully using them anyways I was thinking about ordering more till one day I went grocery shopping and randomly walked down one the health Isles and noticed they were there I didn't give any care just grabbed two bags on the cart and continued shopping when I got to the cash register it didn't worry me and there wasn't any issues just another average day 😀

Reactions: BBBen, chamberpot and BobbiSueEllen
I remember this feeling in the early days...I of course was over thinking things then. Some of the weapons I'd use were buying the diapers with a bunch of other items to sort of blend them in with other items. I also would buy them when the lines were busy so I wasnt all by myself and the attention was on what I was buying. As time went on I started to realize no one really paid attention to what I was buying. The cashier scans thousands of items everyday and wont really remember what each person bought. Also most cashiers really dont get into conversations as to who or what my purchases were for. So eventually the anxiety waned. Also now theres many ways to buy discreetly whether it be online or send to PO box or locker. Most diapers Im interested in cant even be bought off shelves or and actual store. So theres no real anxiety when it comes time to check items out with an actual cashier.

I actually enjoy the thrill of buying at a store. Too bad they don’t sell good diapers anymore. I kinda want to get noticed a little and the butterflies in my stomach kinda enhances my eroticness

After awhile you get over the embarrassment of buying diapers in the store.

When I first started buying diapers at the store I was a little embarrassed but then I thought if anyone says anything I will just say I’m buying them for my kid the only issue I might have is if I see someone I know kinda like what just happened earlier today I saw on old neighbor of ours and just as I was checking out she came behind me but I’m hoping she didn’t see anything I had

Reactions: TigerDL and BBBen
I buy diapers a lot at the store.
All I can say is, it gets easier the more you do it.
Now when I buy my diapers i don't even pay it second thought, when a year ago I used to get really anxious about buying diapers.
Just push through, in the end no one really cares what you are buying

Reactions: chamberpot and BigAl2
I lost that concern out of necessity, but not my own. Some time ago my grandmother was in a nursing home and required diapers. The nursing home would provide diapers but their was a cost, and they were crap (no pun intended) diapers. The cheaper and better solution was for me to buy the diapers at Sam's Club and bring them. So I, maned up, went into Sam's, put three cased of adult diapers in my cart and when to check out. I guess mentally there was less embarrassment because I was honestly not buying them for me. This became about a monthly venture for several years. But it only took a couple of times that I really didn't care if people, customers or cashiers, thought the diapers were for me or not. Unless you run into someone you know, no one else is paying that much attention to what you are buying...or wearing for that matter.

Your answers are internet, or else, buying them at malls with self-checkouts 😁

Last edited:
I know this thread is old and OP hasn’t visited ADISC for 3 years, but even so, I can put in my two cents.
I buy them at night and hour or two before closing, when the store is mostly empty. If other people are around, I check my phone as if I am looking at instructions in a text message. I use self checkout if I can, and if not, I mutter something about “I think this is what I’m supposed to get.” Implying that these are for someone’s use but I’m just the errand boy.
Little do they know, the user is me. Or if they do know, I do t think they care. Drug stores stock those for a reason, so I think they expect to sell them.

I recently came across this website and it helped me so much in getting over the fear of buying diapers in a store. I went in today to buy them my plan was to just buy drynites but I couldn’t find any so I had to get normal adult diapers which made me more nervous. When I went to pay the cashier did ask if they were for me which I said no but she just wanted to give advice because she said if they are for you u should get these ones here pointing to another pack. I told myself under no circumstances would I tell them the diapers were for me but she was really nice so I just told her the truth and she reassured me saying a lot of people my age come in buying diapers anyway overall it was really positive and I have no idea why I was so nervous

Reactions: TigerDL, craigd1341 and flybaby
People will assume they’re for someone else eg an elderly relative.

Reactions: depta99
Just be glad it’s not the old days before UPC bar codes. If you accidentally grabbed a pack with no price tag, the checkout lady would stop everything and get on the PA…”I NEED A PRICE CHECK ON LARGE ADULT DIAPERS PLEASE!” Everyone in line would glare at you while you stood there waiting for an employee to report back with the price, sometimes carrying another package of diapers for comparison. Talk about embarrassing, you would turn a shade of red you never knew possible lol.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: TigerDL, Jamas and 87dervaTheExplora
Screwball said:
Every time I think about buying diapers at the store i feel like they Are gonna make fun of me I have social anxiety and cant buy em can you guys please give me tips on it
Same but I decided, "who cares" recently and the mindset hass helped

What brand did you purchase ?

qwertyqwerty said:
What brand did you purchase ?
Who are you asking? I either get the Rite Aid generic (which does what I need it to) or Comforts if I want to buy Nite Pants.

I submit this gem, for anyone who is embarrassed to buy whatever they want at a grocery store.

• Haha
Reactions: TigerDL
I'm always super anxious and shaky when picking out the package. I find that acting busy/annoyed as if you're running errands helps out a ton. It gives off the vibe that they're not "for you." I've never had anyone comment on me buying diapers irl

Back