High Efficiency washer? Front Loader or Top Loader? HE detergent or regular?

Zeke

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Being as I’m a cloth diaper user laundry is a consideration for me and I just bought a water softener, a tankless water heater, and a new washer/dryer pair. So much for cloth diapers saving me money! Ever since I bought my house, a little over 2 decades ago, I’ve been keenly aware of how hard my water is. Ever since becoming aware of how hard my water is I’ve known that I needed a water softener and I’m getting one now to prevent lime scale buildup in my new water heater, something that I should’ve done 20 plus years ago. In fact that’s the reason why I’m replacing my 40 gallon tank type natural gas water heater with the tankless natural gas water heater. The tank type has been filling up with lime sludge and it has required me to keep turning up the water temperature to have an adequate supplies to get through a medium length shower. Prior to my having radio frequency ablation procedures an extremely hot and long shower was one of the few things that gave me relief from my cervical pain. I’d come out of the shower looking as red as a lobster in my neck area. After getting these procedures done I’m no longer taking neck roasting showers and I’m down to less than 20% of the opioids that I once took. So that justified the replacement of my more than 20 year old hot water heater although I could’ve gotten by far less expensively with a tank type replacement, but thought this is the time to go tankless if I was going to as long as I was replacing the water heater. As to replacing my washer the one that I bought used 2 years ago has been eating my cotton prefolds and contours (even new diapers were coming out ripped and torn) so to stop this and to get a washer that gets my diapers clean, SAFELY, I’m replacing it with a HE top loader with a 4 way agitator and a matching dryer. That’s why I’m asking if any other cloth diaper users are using an HE machine and if they do what detergent are they using. With my old machine I used Tide Original powder which I had found to work the best for my cloth diapers. I used to believe that you needed a certain level of suds on the wash water to get the to effectively clean them, but from what I understand this much suds will cause an HE machine to add water and additional rinse cycles. That’s not a big issue with me as I generally add more water to my wash cycle and an additional rinse cycle to insure detergent residue is eliminated. So do any of you cloth diaper wearers use a HE machine and if you do what HE detergent do you use in your HE machine? If you do use HE detergent what brand have you had the best luck with? Thanks, I’ve got to get back to my plumbing and installation activities now, I surely hope it’s worth the effort and cost!

Reactions: Cottontail, Edgewater and Angelapinks
Top loader HE with deep water option hot water . Rinse twice . The Lysol sanitizer replaces bleach and it works great to . Every 3 months all cloth diapers are bleached ( I have a huge stack with large liners) washed twice rinsed 4 times to get out any leftover bleach . That whitens every fiber because cloth diapers can hold a stain . I use cloth around the house and every night they don’t leak ! The rest of the time I’m in disposables , they irritate areas on me some are due to odor control chemicals and some times the edge of the plastic diaper cuts my crotch area . That can get infected , I don’t have that problem using cloth ( Birdseye and gauze) diapers . I’m IC I lost a large area of my bladder in a near fatal T bone accident a drunk driver hit me at what they said was 58 MPH . I have other severe physical problems as well but IC was the a hardest to accept . That was when I was 19 (1989) in diapers again . All these years later I’m wayyyyyy past any embarrassing looks from others . Cloth diapers did not come to me for around 9 years after I went home . Only disposables could I find then I was introduced to the ABDL community and their suppliers . Eureka finally I discovered I was not the only Toddler adult out there . Best diaper company’s ( my favorite is https://www.changingtimesdiaperco.com/ )
They have very high quality cloth diapers and cleaning supplies and nice quality clothing designed for thick diapers .

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpeg
    IMG_1012.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: Zeke and Edgewater
I use top loaders too. I had seal issues with front loaders.

Reactions: Edgewater, Jorelaxed and Zeke
BigAl1 said:
I use top loaders too. I had seal issues with front loaders.
I’ve got some friends who have had bad experiences with front loaders that have discouraged me from getting one of them. When I drove semi I oftentimes did laundry on the road at various laundromats where I had good experiences with commercial front loaders. Years ago I’d taken a few years off from driving “over the road” and stayed home and hauled milk bulk farm pickup and then a change in creameries made my help unnecessary. A friend who I had taught to drive when my wife and I had owned our own truck asked me what I was going to do. I told him that I didn’t think I could handle going back over the road to which he asked if I wanted to try it and find out. I went with him and one of the loads we hauled was Wascomat front loading commercial washers. After hauling these machines I paid more attention to what I encountered at laundromats. Then years later, when I went back to college, I bought a house across the street from university property. I planned to buy a reconditioned Wascomat commercial front loader, but never did and that was kind of the end of my fascination with front loaders. When I looked for a washer in December my primary concern was how well it would work with my cloth diapers as if it does a good job on them it should work well with my other laundry and wearing 24/7 for dual incontinence cloth diapers make up a significant portion of my laundry. I’m hoping that the 4 way agitator of this new LG washer will do what they say it does and get my clothes cleaner all while be more gentle on my clothes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and BigAl2
My vote is for a wringer washer. Not practical in an apartment but those machines last forever and would be (I think) ideal for washing cloth diapers. Just don't get your arm stuck in the wringer!

Reactions: Zeke, Edgewater, Jorelaxed and 1 other person
Zeke said:
Being as I’m a cloth diaper user laundry is a consideration for me and I just bought a water softener, a tankless water heater, and a new washer/dryer pair. So much for cloth diapers saving me money! Ever since I bought my house, a little over 2 decades ago, I’ve been keenly aware of how hard my water is. Ever since becoming aware of how hard my water is I’ve known that I needed a water softener and I’m getting one now to prevent lime scale buildup in my new water heater, something that I should’ve done 20 plus years ago. In fact that’s the reason why I’m replacing my 40 gallon tank type natural gas water heater with the tankless natural gas water heater. The tank type has been filling up with lime sludge and it has required me to keep turning up the water temperature to have an adequate supplies to get through a medium length shower. Prior to my having radio frequency ablation procedures an extremely hot and long shower was one of the few things that gave me relief from my cervical pain. I’d come out of the shower looking as red as a lobster in my neck area. After getting these procedures done I’m no longer taking neck roasting showers and I’m down to less than 20% of the opioids that I once took. So that justified the replacement of my more than 20 year old hot water heater although I could’ve gotten by far less expensively with a tank type replacement, but thought this is the time to go tankless if I was going to as long as I was replacing the water heater. As to replacing my washer the one that I bought used 2 years ago has been eating my cotton prefolds and contours (even new diapers were coming out ripped and torn) so to stop this and to get a washer that gets my diapers clean, SAFELY, I’m replacing it with a HE top loader with a 4 way agitator and a matching dryer. That’s why I’m asking if any other cloth diaper users are using an HE machine and if they do what detergent are they using. With my old machine I used Tide Original powder which I had found to work the best for my cloth diapers. I used to believe that you needed a certain level of suds on the wash water to get the to effectively clean them, but from what I understand this much suds will cause an HE machine to add water and additional rinse cycles. That’s not a big issue with me as I generally add more water to my wash cycle and an additional rinse cycle to insure detergent residue is eliminated. So do any of you cloth diaper wearers use a HE machine and if you do what HE detergent do you use in your HE machine? If you do use HE detergent what brand have you had the best luck with? Thanks, I’ve got to get back to my plumbing and installation activities now, I surely hope it’s worth the effort and cost!
Glad that you find RFA a big help, I have been doing that for 8 or 9 years now and it has helped me keep working at first and allowed me to get on with a productive life. I have had a water softener for 40 plus years as we also have very hard water and cleaning the shower nozzles and taps was getting to be a pain. My parents had one for 50 plus years so I knew they worked well. I still have a 40 Gal. water heater but I rent it and get a replacement every 10 years and I also have front loader HE washer and dryer pair by Electrolux. They were not cheap but they do save on water and detergent. I don't often use cloth diapers anymore but I do use Kins cotton flannel diaper pants as a precaution to leaking at night and I have 5 or 6 pairs of these as well a terry pants for the same use. I only use HE detergent by Purex, Baby Soft but one thing that needs attention often is the rubber seal around the door. You need to regularly clean it of scum and sometimes the start of mold.

Reactions: Edgewater and Zeke
I have very set beliefs regarding washers and dryers and they are fully wife approved, as well! :ROFLMAO:

Washer and dryer: Laundromat series Only! No technology! Keep them simple and thus easy to repair, if needed.

Washer: Top load only, fewer things to go wrong /clean. Front loaders suffer seal and mold problems. Their weak point is the emergency tub drain tube. 'When' (not if) it clogs, the only way to drain the tub is to open it. Yes, the water goes everywhere - Nightmare City!

Dryer: Front load, also simple. If you back sucks, they provide a draw which sits under it!

NOTE: New technology is wonderful until it fails! They require an individual power source for each all the way back to the Home Power Panel with each on its on separate incoming power line. If you skip this requirement, the unit's computer is $1000 USD plus installation!

Old technology does not care, no computer!

You can buy lots of water for the cost of upgrading your power panel and rewiring to the laundry room!

Just my two cents!!

Reactions: Zeke, Angelapinks and slimjiminy
I have both and use regular laundry soap with Oxiclean and recently have been using white vinegar to take the odor out that has been creeping in. I did try dreft but wasn't satisfied with the cleanliness and whiteness. My skin is also pretty tough so don't have issues with a slightly stronger soap. I do have to add time to the drying cycle.

Reactions: Zeke, Angelapinks and Edgewater
So I have to use a HE front loader as that is all we really have the space for (used to have a top loader when I was little) and while I would say a top loader is probably better for diapers in the long run they are a bit more of a pain to use.

I realise things may have changed a lot since then but the top loader my mum used to have pretty much required her to stand out there doing the laundry for a lot longer, sure she could leave it running for a while but it was harder to drain and required more vigilance to do it right, whereas our front loader just load it up set the cycle and let it go till it beeps then hang it all on the line.

I personally don't own or use a dryer, I have been sorely tempted to get a washer dryer combo (space is a problem to have both) but everyone I speak to about them says not to bother, they don't do either as well as separate machines do. Same sorta reason I don't use a dishwasher, space and bad job done.

• Thinking
Prefer top loading washers. I can open the lid and let stuff soak completely submerged and can use as much detergent or softener as I want instead of a teeny tiny tray that spills.

After having experienced using a front load washer for a couple years, I'll never own one myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeke, Angelapinks and Edgewater
Belarin said:
So I have to use a HE front loader as that is all we really have the space for (used to have a top loader when I was little) and while I would say a top loader is probably better for diapers in the long run they are a bit more of a pain to use.

I realise things may have changed a lot since then but the top loader my mum used to have pretty much required her to stand out there doing the laundry for a lot longer, sure she could leave it running for a while but it was harder to drain and required more vigilance to do it right, whereas our front loader just load it up set the cycle and let it go till it beeps then hang it all on the line.

I personally don't own or use a dryer, I have been sorely tempted to get a washer dryer combo (space is a problem to have both) but everyone I speak to about them says not to bother, they don't do either as well as separate machines do. Same sorta reason I don't use a dishwasher, space and bad job done.
I’ve been seeing a TV ad, I believe it’s from LG, that’s introducing their one machine solution to laundry. It’s a front loader that washes and then dries your clothes all in one machine. This could cut the space required for your laundry equipment, but I’ve heard that it also leaves a big space in your wallet as well!

Reactions: Edgewater
Combo wash & dry have been available for a bunch of years. They target a very small segment of the market where space is a premium. Load size is commonly a problem as they are rated at low capacity. Not recommended for diaper washing and drying and best for light weight clothing.

Reactions: Zeke and Belarin
Zeke said:
I’ve been seeing a TV ad, I believe it’s from LG, that’s introducing their one machine solution to laundry. It’s a front loader that washes and then dries your clothes all in one machine. This could cut the space required for your laundry equipment, but I’ve heard that it also leaves a big space in your wallet as well!
I've not seen it but imagine it's the same as any washer drier combo currently available, as @Edgewater says smaller load size as well as inefficient washing, they also tend to use a different method of heating for the drier side of things which again is not as good as a single machine.

They are fine for people in very small apartments/flats where space is limited but I'd rather have two machines each dedicated to one task that they do well than 1 machine that kinda does both but poorly.

Edgewater said:
Combo wash & dry have been available for a bunch of years. They target a very small segment of the market where space is a premium. Load size is commonly a problem as they are rated at low capacity. Not recommended for diaper washing and drying and best for light weight clothing.
And here I thought that they were something new. Some find that “new” drying device, the clothesline, a great leap in drying technology. What? I’m behind on the “newness” of that item too? Someone’s got to start telling me these things!

Last edited:
Zeke said:
So do any of you cloth diaper wearers use a HE machine and if you do what HE detergent do you use in your HE machine? If you do use HE detergent what brand have you had the best luck with? Thanks, I’ve got to get back to my plumbing and installation activities now, I surely hope it’s worth the effort and cost!
I have an LG HE washer/dryer set, and am using Tide Free & Gentle liquid, a Fluff Love "recommended" HE-safe detergent. Although I have a water softener, I've still found it necessary to add either borax or Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda to my diaper laundry to prevent buildup and residual urine odors.

Yeah, I’m currently using Borax with my Tide Original powder, and adding 1-1/2 cups of white vinegar to the first of two rinses. It helps me to deal with my heavy lime concentration hard water and it eliminates any residual odors. I got a 64k grain water softener which I’m sure will be higher capacity than I need even with very hard water because it’s only me and my 2 pets. Or it may be 2 pets and their human. But either way the softener isn’t going to be overworked and it’s regen cycles are based on water usage rather than time elapsed so it shouldn’t use much salt. Well, I’m finally ready for my washer/dry set coming on the 27th. I should’ve had the new black pipe ready to re-plumb my gas line, it wouldn’t get cold too fast with our weather above freezing the past few days.

Reactions: Cottontail, mightytoddler and Edgewater
The combo units can be interesting if your home does not have a classic laundry utility hookup.
The combo machine runs on 120 Vac. No special electrical required.
Also, the drying cycle uses a heat pump that condenses the exhaust and sends it to drain. No dryer vent required.

Definitively reduced capacity and higher cost but still beats going to a Laundry Matt.

Also, I think that for diaper washing, it’s best suited for pocket diapers and inserts.
A couple of pre folds would probably have the machine dancing everywhere ( heavy shaking)

DLYUL said:
The combo units can be interesting if your home does not have a classic laundry utility hookup.
The combo machine runs on 120 Vac. No special electrical required.
Also, the drying cycle uses a heat pump that condenses the exhaust and sends it to drain. No dryer vent required.

Definitively reduced capacity and higher cost but still beats going to a Laundry Matt.

Also, I think that for diaper washing, it’s best suited for pocket diapers and inserts.
A couple of pre folds would probably have the machine dancing everywhere ( heavy shaking)
Yeah, but ANYTIME you’re making heat with electricity it’s going to make that wheel spin on the meter. Heat pumps are better than elements but it’s still far cheaper with gas, even propane is better than electricity as far as cost goes. I’m afraid that natural gas may be rising rapidly soon. As soon as the frost is out of the ground this Spring I’ve got to get my clothesline posts set and clothesline up so I can go to solar and wind dried diapers. After the initial materials cost it takes nothing more than a little effort on my part to make it take advantage of this free, natural resource.

Reactions: Angelapinks
I have a front load Samgung washer and dryer. I really like them the washer and dryer are probably my highest energy draw and i only pay about $95 a month in the winter which is almost unheard of up here. I use seventh generation detergent and dryer sheets. I started when I moved into this house as that was one of the only detergents we found that exclusively stated septic safe. It turns out we really like the smell also.

Reactions: Zeke and Angelapinks
Back