Here I go again

Cavvet8993

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Why can't the VA hospital send me better diapers?

I cannot give any assistance on this issue as I'm not a veteran, but this issue seems to come up quite often. Maybe those who have successfully dealt with the VA regarding this question could put together a document on how to get the best care, support, and service, from the VA, and then ask Moo if he would make it a sticky thread on the front page.

What brand are they sending? And they can, but there has to be certain criteria met beforehand.

Cavvet8993 said:
Short answer $$$ I tried to get better diapers and all I’d get were cheap covidian ones so I have to purchase my own, I know the answer sucks. I have secondary insurance that pays a good chunk of my costs

Reactions: Cavvet8993
jasonm03 said:
Short answer $$$ I tried to get better diapers and all I’d get were cheap covidian ones so I have to purchase my own, I know the answer sucks. I have secondary insurance that pays a good chunk of my costs
I actually wore the covidien diapers until they started sending me the plastic backed attends and they worked for a little while but now since I wet more often overnight I have to wake up and change my diaper. If I don't I'll have a wet bed.

Cavvet8993 said:
I actually wore the covidien diapers until they started sending me the plastic backed attends and they worked for a little while but now since I wet more often overnight I have to wake up and change my diaper. If I don't I'll have a wet bed.
Is your primary care doctor or your urologist writing the prescription?

jambi66441 said:
Is your primary care doctor or your urologist writing the prescription?
I am waiting to hear from the urologist from the VA hospital. And the doctor won't get me anymore diapers till I see the urologist

Cavvet8993 said:
Because they don't care, and cannot be held accountable for their failures.

The V.A. Is a bunch of total SCUMBAGS that treat vets like trash.

Cavvet8993 said:
What state do you live in? Some incontinents ive heard get decent quality products from the VA. And by the way, thank you for your service! My entire family has served in the military in one form or another, with the exception of my mother and myself.

Reactions: lilabdlqc83
SuLiWan said:
What state do you live in? Some incontinents ive heard get decent quality products from the VA. And by the way, thank you for your service! My entire family has served in the military in one form or another, with the exception of my mother and myself.
I live in Oklahoma

I guy I know in WA state gets abenas through the VA. He talked to his urologist about how poor quality of diapers they were sending him and talked them into sending abenas. It's about quality of life and having better diapers means better quality of life.

1659911472013.png

Thanks I'll talk to my urologist about it

This post, and others of this nature have me considering serving vets, active duty, dependents, family members and freinds with the highest caliber products available. It sounds like in some cases vets are falling through the cracks and have to fight for quality products. That is UNACCEPTABLE. We owe vets a debt that can never be repaid. The least we can do is make sure they and their families are taken care of.

Reactions: Cavvet8993 and joemama
Ferix said:
I guy I know in WA state gets abenas through the VA. He talked to his urologist about how poor quality of diapers they were sending him and talked them into sending abenas. It's about quality of life and having better diapers means better quality of life.

View attachment 84088
I went to the urologist and they said the VA hospital in Oklahoma city didn't have them in their formulary system so they sent me the Kendall briefs for daytime and the prevail briefs for bedtime. I wear a size medium and the prevail are large size. The Kendall/ covidien diapers are terrible and the tapes don't want to peel back so I can attach them to the diaper. And I have to wear them while traveling and they leak after a small wetting. The prevail are worse than the covidien diapers and they sent me the wrong size to begin with. They also sent me pads to put underneath my sheets but what good will that do if they leak like they always have. And before they sent me the Kendall/ covidien diapers I was getting plastic backed attends which are way better than the ones I'm getting now but they also leak if I don't wake up and change my diaper before I get up the next morning.

Cavvet8993 said:
I went to the urologist and they said the VA hospital in Oklahoma city didn't have them in their formulary system so they sent me the Kendall briefs for daytime and the prevail briefs for bedtime. I wear a size medium and the prevail are large size. The Kendall/ covidien diapers are terrible and the tapes don't want to peel back so I can attach them to the diaper. And I have to wear them while traveling and they leak after a small wetting. The prevail are worse than the covidien diapers and they sent me the wrong size to begin with. They also sent me pads to put underneath my sheets but what good will that do if they leak like they always have. And before they sent me the Kendall/ covidien diapers I was getting plastic backed attends which are way better than the ones I'm getting now but they also leak if I don't wake up and change my diaper before I get up the next morning.
Not sure if this will help, but the San Francisco VA prescribed me Abena Premium Briefs. They're the "Air Plus" cloth backed ones. I didn't like them at first but I've learned how to tape them tight enough, and they're actually pretty good. Here's how they describe them:

Medication NameBRIEF,ABENA ABRI-FORM PREMIUM MED #43063

bedwetterdavid said:
Not sure if this will help, but the San Francisco VA prescribed me Abena Premium Briefs. They're the "Air Plus" cloth backed ones. I didn't like them at first but I've learned how to tape them tight enough, and they're actually pretty good. Here's how they describe them:

Medication NameBRIEF,ABENA ABRI-FORM PREMIUM MED #43063
I can't stand cloth like diapers because they always leak on me

Cavvet8993 said:
I can't stand cloth like diapers because they always leak on me
they leak on me as well

Reactions: NappiedTruckDriver
I sent you a message explaining the process.

I Will agree with some that somethings within the VA suck, but will say honestly comes down to the individual VA itself I have great experiences and some really bad ones. For me personally I don't see them for anything life threatening or potential of. I will also add for this topic usually each system usually has different options in formulary. I do use 2 VA systems my primary is at one system and my urologist is in another and I have positive and negative experiences in both so it doesn't matter the size of the facilities or the system.

I will also say in general I know Tranquility has been working hard to get a contract in most states and there ATN/Smartcore Briefs do not work for many people. They do have a contact on their website and think info on how to potentially get their brand prescribed.

Back