has it just me?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I do have plenty of friends. Working friends and regular people. Non of them know I'm IC. Witch I'm find with that. Some of them figure out that I'm in diapers. It always make me worry. Do they know? I'm profound IC and I'm in diapers everyday. I'm discreet and fairly certain they most know. But it does make me paranoid. Nobody has ever said to me "are you wearing a diaper." But I still worry. Is it just me?

Reactions: Wetshisbed
I keep my diapers well hidden, but I just dont really care at this point. I got some great people who know and love me regardless. Im proud of who I am, what Ive done with my life and how Ive treated my fellow humans. Diapers dont mean squat in the grand scheme of things.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, warmfeeling, littlefun and 1 other person
So I don't think anyone cares if you have a continence problem or if you are wearing any aids as long as you don't disclose it. On the contrary - no one wants to have anything to do with it or talk about it because for most people it is an intimate and shameful topic.

If someone is actually interested, then it is most likely either a particularly caring contemporary or one of us... However - should someone really ask you about it (which has never happened to me personally), then you just explain it.

Some need a crutch, others a wheelchair and you just diaper. I don't see why you should be embarrassed - you didn't choose the problem.

Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke, Andrewgdfw and 2 others
greatlake5 said:
I do have plenty of friends. Working friends and regular people. Non of them know I'm IC. Witch I'm find with that. Some of them figure out that I'm in diapers. It always make me worry. Do they know? I'm profound IC and I'm in diapers everyday. I'm discreet and fairly certain they most know. But it does make me paranoid. Nobody has ever said to me "are you wearing a diaper." But I still worry. Is it just me?
I Can relate to this. off course if you don’t wear too bulky diapers you should be fine. But one thing I learned, is despite you just peed yourself, and don’t have to use the bathroom. Go out there anyway, stay for some minutes, and flush the toilet Before leaving, being with friends for prolonged time, and not having to go to the toilet can make people wonder.. especially if they go there, so basically act normal and do the same things as people who have their continence.

Reactions: Diprs2 and lonnie
I wear nappies all the time as I am incontinent. Most of my close friends and family knowand are fine with it. As for others. I just don't care who knows now. Life is to short. To be honest most people are too busy with their own lives to worry if someone wears nappies.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke, warmfeeling and 3 others
It's not just you. I don't tell people that I'm incontinent.
I wear big pads or thin pull ups and I always fear that people know. The worst is when the protection becomes quite wet and I can't change. It becomes bulky, smelly and might leak... ;-(
My dailly routine is ruled by my bladder, leaks and protections. And because of the fear to be discovered, I skip a lot of fun things. Don't you?
Somedays I manage without too much leaks ;-) Sometimes it seems that everything goes wrong...

Reactions: Diprs2
DreamerBen said:
It's not just you. I don't tell people that I'm incontinent.
I wear big pads or thin pull ups and I always fear that people know. The worst is when the protection becomes quite wet and I can't change. It becomes bulky, smelly and might leak... ;-(
My dailly routine is ruled by my bladder, leaks and protections. And because of the fear to be discovered, I skip a lot of fun things. Don't you?
Somedays I manage without too much leaks ;-) Sometimes it seems that everything goes wrong...
exactly the same for me. i just don’t like when my diaper is too wet and start to smell, which usually is when I’m in situations where toilets are not easily accessible and I cannot change discreetly, and have to rely on my protection for extended periods. This is where incontinence truly sucks.

greatlake5 said:
Some of them figure out that I'm in diapers. It always make me worry. Do they know?
The other side of this is that I have family and friends that already know I'm incontinent, but are shocked when once again they find out that I am incontinent. People quickly forget other peoples issues really, unless an issue is upfront and center all the time, which diapers are not for most.

Reactions: Diprs2, munkey, Angelapinks and 4 others
"Being Discreet" is basically always in the back of my mind, I'm anxious about it. Can you hear my crinkle? Can you see the bulge/outline? Worst of all, can you smell me?

and then when I confirm to myself that yes, you can it just really can stress me out. If I hear the crinkle, or catch myself in a mirror and see a bulge where I shouldn't. It's the smell though. It's not super strong but an Abena can have a particular smell when it's wet. If I'm somewhere and catch a whiff of pee I immediately know it is me.

• Sad
  • Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2, munkey, PaddedRita and 6 others
When wearing jeans over a diaper, you can get away with a lot with regards to crinkle. I've done tests wearing a Forsite AM/PM plastic backed diaper in the office (with no one around) and with one exception, you'd really have to be listening for it to notice (the Forsite is loud). The one exception however, is climbing or descending a stair case. Put some distance between you and the others when using the stairs and you should be ok. Otherwise, I would think it is more of a problem with women's clothing when not wearing jeans.

The world in public or private is filled with sights, sounds and odors. It's a barrage to the senses of anyone. Encountering these sensory inputs is what we all do every day.

If you are incontinent, your eye, ear and/or nose is finely tuned in a near unique way. How many others in the sea of humanity have a fine tuning exactly like you? If they did, would they be in a situation to spare the time to notice or even care?

Reactions: Diprs2 and Zeke
DiaperDiva said:
"Being Discreet" is basically always in the back of my mind, I'm anxious about it. Can you hear my crinkle? Can you see the bulge/outline? Worst of all, can you smell me?

and then when I confirm to myself that yes, you can it just really can stress me out. If I hear the crinkle, or catch myself in a mirror and see a bulge where I shouldn't. It's the smell though. It's not super strong but an Abena can have a particular smell when it's wet. If I'm somewhere and catch a whiff of pee I immediately know it is me.
Yeah, It's me too. I really try to NOT SMELL.

greatlake5 said:
I think most of us that are IC, at least some of us, we worry about how others might figure it out. Like you said, yes, it's me too. I have friends too. Older friends knew. Newer friends, which I'd rather them not know, there's always an uneasiness. And when I see someone looking at my bottom, or worse, my crotch, I panic. It's no way to live like this. I've tried for years and at some point, I just have to relax somehow.

DiaperDiva said:
an Abena can have a particular smell when it's wet. If I'm somewhere and catch a whiff of pee I immediately know it is me.
Just a quick pointer, that's an Abena issue, there's diapers that in my experimentation eliminate and contain the smell completely. Northcare plastic backed diapers are completely effective are eliminating and containing the smell. To anyone paranoid about smell, try the Northcare briefs; they'll send you free samples, just ask.

Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke and puravidadip
I am a little paranoid about the noise of ripping tapes on a plastic backed nappy in a public toilet, but otherwise I do not worry about it. It took a long time, but I rationalised that some people have bodily damage you can see and others have a heart complaint or similar that you cannot. Incontinence is another of those you cannot see, but having said that I am only urinary inco, feacal must be a damned site more problematic, although there are some suppliments that I have heard of that remove smell from the poo. As for the bulge of a thick nappy, I have never caught anybody looking at my crotch and if anyone were to raise the issue I would tell the truth and say ‘yep I’m incontinent, I hope it does not worry you.’ and I can guarantee they will shut up. In my case I don’t mind discussing the protection I wear and telling people that I have had a prostatectomy, most people know the consequences of that.

I keep a small pair of scissors in my bag so I can cut the sides of the diaper instead of having to peel off the tapes. Much quieter. Even tearing the sides of the diaper works in a pinch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teddy02, Diprs2, slimjiminy and 1 other person
DiaperDiva said:

Abena and the XP lookalike definitely, I noticed a smell! I stopped wearing because of that. Outside of those events, I don't think I ever smell like pee... but I drink a lot of water and change every 2-3 hours wearing an "8 hour" diaper. I do notice I smell after the day is done. Like smelling my PUL pants close smells like a gross mix of desitin and urine! But thats inside my pants at the end of each day. PUL pants definitely help. I mess my pants working, and, keeping a good six foot distance sometimes must wait to change. I even asked my co-worker if they smelled anything after walking around my office for 30 minutes and she said no. Not ideal, and if I were 2-3 feet away I could, but this is in your mind.

I know I will NEVER be able to eat asparagus again though!

• Haha
Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke and chamberpot
ltaluv said:
I keep a small pair of scissors in my bag so I can cut the sides of the diaper instead of having to peel off the tapes. Much quieter. Even tearing the sides of the diaper works in a pinch.
I started pushing the tapes with my finger, starting at the tip and rolling the tape along the finger and that helps the sound! Also ripping the sides away work if not messy.

I know I will NEVER be able to eat asparagus again though!
Tell us more :ROFLMAO:

Back