Has anyone on here died before?

There are a few different definitions of dead - clinically dead, and brain dead.

A lot of people are describing episodes of being technically dead where the correct term would be clinically dead - but that is where the brain is still functioning yet heart and/or lungs may have stopped due to medical and/or physical trauma. This is also where skilled EMTs can attempt to 'bring you back from the dead' so to speak.

The last term, brain dead is where tests are carried out by two senior doctors (neither on a transplant team) to determine if the brain stem is or is not dead. This is rarely a recoverable situation as heart and lung function are either slowing from autonomic response, or being artifically supported. Paitents in a coma have reduced brain function, but if/when that ceases, which is carefully monitored, there is very little medical intervention to restart the brain.

The medical definition of death is Biological Death, and usually occurs 5-6 minutes post clinical death without medical intervention, and/or within 30 seconds to 5 minutes following brain death.

In relation to the people that claim that they were dead due to no heartbeat and/or breathing for 10 minutes, that is, from a medical perspective, impossible to recover from. It is more likely that CPR was started within the 5-6 minutes of their heart / lungs stopped. Otherwise, serious brain damage would have occured which initiates brain death - a medically unrecoverable situation.

There are recorded instances of people being 'dead' for longer than the 5-6 minutes, and I am not disputing that, but other contributing factors and misreading of the data by observers are usually the answer - i.e. a paitent supposedly dead for 2 hours fully recovered but the contributing factor in that case was that the paitent was exposed to below freezing temperatures where their pulse was extremely slow and difficult to read, as was their breathing very shallow and unobserved.

There are also the claimed 'miraclus' theories, the religious theories and ghost stories etc., These ghost stories I find are normally highly embellished by a third or fourth party, i.e. never from first hand observance. Whatever religious group you believe in, I am not here to dispute. All I post here is from empirical medical and scientific evidence.

i wanna dye.... my clothes.

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy, mistykitty, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
SissyABSamantha said:
i was technically 'dead' for about 10 seconds on the operating table when I was only 2 years old.

My kidneys were joined together in the womb. One day one of my ureters was blocked and caused a backlog of urine into both my kidneys and back into my bloodstream. I nearly went into a coma that same night. My kidneys nearly failed so I was lucky that I didn't have to go onto dialysis afterwards.

Anyway they operated to remove the blockage and drained off all the urine. I would have died overnight otherwise. In fact I was very close to death that night as my heart stopped for about 10 seconds.

I was too young to remember anything and I have no idea if it caused any short / long term damage.

I have had several other potential near death experiences since then but I have always been lucky enough to survive and to avoid any injury. Almost like I have a guardian angel watching over me. lol.

I have never actually been technically 'dead' or otherwise since that operation.
Wow, horseshoe kidney? I hope you wear medical alert jewelry!
Also glad they found it pretty early in life and you recovered with proper kidney function. 🙂

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
babykeiff said:
There are a few different definitions of dead - clinically dead, and brain dead.

A lot of people are describing episodes of being technically dead where the correct term would be clinically dead - but that is where the brain is still functioning yet heart and/or lungs may have stopped due to medical and/or physical trauma. This is also where skilled EMTs can attempt to 'bring you back from the dead' so to speak.

The last term, brain dead is where tests are carried out by two senior doctors (neither on a transplant team) to determine if the brain stem is or is not dead. This is rarely a recoverable situation as heart and lung function are either slowing from autonomic response, or being artifically supported. Paitents in a coma have reduced brain function, but if/when that ceases, which is carefully monitored, there is very little medical intervention to restart the brain.

The medical definition of death is Biological Death, and usually occurs 5-6 minutes post clinical death without medical intervention, and/or within 30 seconds to 5 minutes following brain death.

In relation to the people that claim that they were dead due to no heartbeat and/or breathing for 10 minutes, that is, from a medical perspective, impossible to recover from. It is more likely that CPR was started within the 5-6 minutes of their heart / lungs stopped. Otherwise, serious brain damage would have occured which initiates brain death - a medically unrecoverable situation.

There are recorded instances of people being 'dead' for longer than the 5-6 minutes, and I am not disputing that, but other contributing factors and misreading of the data by observers are usually the answer - i.e. a paitent supposedly dead for 2 hours fully recovered but the contributing factor in that case was that the paitent was exposed to below freezing temperatures where their pulse was extremely slow and difficult to read, as was their breathing very shallow and unobserved.

There are also the claimed 'miraclus' theories, the religious theories and ghost stories etc., These ghost stories I find are normally highly embellished by a third or fourth party, i.e. never from first hand observance. Whatever religious group you believe in, I am not here to dispute. All I post here is from empirical medical and scientific evidence.
Many people would dispute lack of function in those who are "brain dead" by pointing out the large number of people who are walking, talking and breathing without perceptible functioning thought processes, but I suspect "brain rest" would be a more accurate term. 🤪

It depends what you mean by dead. Technically, I was still born but very fortunately one of the midwives looking after my mother had been trained in Infant resusitation (fairly rare in the early 1960's or certainly in the city I was born in) and decided to give it a crack. Obviously I remember none of the dramma. Anyway, 60 years later I'm still still here had a few close calls on the way but still in one piece and now have 12 years on my older brother!

Reactions: AttilaThePun
AttilaThePun said:
Wow, horseshoe kidney? I hope you wear medical alert jewelry!
Also glad they found it pretty early in life and you recovered with proper kidney function. 🙂
Yes Indeed. It is called a horseshoe kidney. I have never worn medical alert jewellery. Never heard of that until now. However I do have everything on my iPhone under emergency info which anyone can access even without the code/pin no. to unlock my iPhone screen.

I was lucky that my mother spotted that I was in trouble in my cot that night. Apparently she had an overwhelming feeling to check on me and saw my eyes rolling in their sockets. A mothers instinct I guess. I always wondered if it was somehow a psychic link with my mother that prompted her to check on me. lol.

Anyway I was rushed to hospital and operated on just in time otherwise I would have been dead by morning. A cot death I guess which was quite common in those days in the early 1970's and late 1960's.

Yes I was lucky also that my kidneys didn't fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy, AttilaThePun and BobbiSueEllen
SissyABSamantha said:
...I do have everything on my iPhone under emergency info which anyone can access even without the code/pin no. to unlock my iPhone screen.
THANK YOU for alerting me to this! My Samsung has it, too, just finished filling mine in. I recommend everybody do this with their phones, too, it's a good feature.

EmergencyStuff.jpg

StrawberryPan said:
i wanna dye.... my clothes.
I've been getting into natural plant-based dyes lately. Its pretty fun. Its a surprisingly scientific topic! You need to treat the fabric with a mordant or fixative first so the dye holds. They are metal salts, and blah blah blah Its cool to think of how people figured this stuff out thousands of years ago. I'm mostly just doing cotton string for bracelets right now but I will probably move on to doing shirts soon. Hibiscus makes the most beautiful shade of purple/pink that I would absolutely love on a shirt..

Reactions: mistykitty
Fascinating. I understand that more than a century ago, fabric people had trouble fixing the color purple. I suppose that's why it became the color of royalty and the high clergy. Sadly, in the late 19th century or maybe the early 20th, can't remember, they discovered that coal tar derivatives would fix the color purple. The problem with burned coal products is that they're highly carcinogenic. There's an interesting book titled, "Toms River" that talks about the cancer poisoning that Ciba Geigy created using those derivatives as they manufactured dyes. The book won a Pulitzer prise. My mom worked for Ciba Geigy in Toms River and died of cancer as did many others. On our street, every fourth house had a person who had cancer. I'm still around though I drank some of the town water. One day my mom came home from work and said we wouldn't drink the water. One of the engineers had warned her. Unfortunately it was too late for her and many others, many of them children.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: AttilaThePun and BobbiSueEllen
dogboy said:
Fascinating. I understand that more than a century ago, fabric people had trouble fixing the color purple. I suppose that's why it became the color of royalty and the high clergy. Sadly, in the late 19th century or maybe the early 20th, can't remember, they discovered that coal tar derivatives would fix the color purple. The problem with burned coal products is that they're highly carcinogenic. There's an interesting book titled, "Toms River" that talks about the cancer poisoning that Ciba Geigy created using those derivatives as they manufactured dyes. The book won a Pulitzer prise. My mom worked for Ciba Geigy in Toms River and died of cancer as did many others. On our street, every fourth house had a person who had cancer. I'm still around though I drank some of the town water. One day my mom came home from work and said we wouldn't drink the water. One of the engineers had warned her. Unfortunately it was too late for her and many others, many of them children.
Stuff like this is why I am as anti-corporate as they come lol... Sorry bout' the mom. Plenty of casualties like that, my grandma died from cancer that she most likely got from all the super sketchy chemicals that they used back in the day before they realized they were all carcinogenic..

Reactions: dogboy
In the 1700s a common substance used to fix dyes into cloth was..., URINE!

Some of us could've been rich! LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bigbabybret and dogboy
StrawberryPan said:
Stuff like this is why I am as anti-corporate as they come lol... Sorry bout' the mom. Plenty of casualties like that, my grandma died from cancer that she most likely got from all the super sketchy chemicals that they used back in the day before they realized they were all carcinogenic..
See I'm anti-chemical as well. They do so much damage. Just about everything I by has one of those certified natural and certified cruelty free labels and i check to make sure they truly are first to. Sure, in the past they were worse and there have been improvements in some fields but factories, companies, and corporations are still healthrisks and if not from all the chemicals they release then from working employees to death.

Reactions: dogboy and BobbiSueEllen
When I was 19 I had some sever depression before my diagnosis. I took a massive overdose and after 4 days in a coma. The doctors told me I had died on the table. I had paddle burns. They weren’t sure how I was going to be if I woke up. They even told my wife how unsure they were. Due to the amount of pills in my system until they got to me etc.

Not a religious man yes there is a god but that’s as far as I go. Someone was looking out for me. I should have died that day. I was lucky.

Reactions: Bigbabybret, dogboy and BobbiSueEllen
First off...Thanks for all the kind words, and you experiances.

i've had quite a few near death experiances in my life, wether that was due to my old perfessions, which is was, or good luck I cant ber certain, but nearly dies when was 1 of spinal menengitis, dont remember that though. But been shot (More than once), car crash (went through the windshield), 2 helo crashes and 1 plane crash, non of wich i really had much damage to myself to speak of. Plenty of other times riding snomobile, dirt bikes, snow skiing, water skiing, motorcycles or alike, I was an adrenaline junkie...

But, my death was more more than likely beyond counting seconds and most likely well past a 1-min. Cant be sure as dont have cctv of me the whole time, and even what i do have cant tell if my heart was pumping.

I know that the emt report was that no detectable pulse, they drilled in an IO in my left leg and then started pushing fluids, i got also epi, narcan (was not an overdose but thier protocal), I know got the paddles (still had some marks from that when i woke up), and was in a coma for more than 5 days.

I do know when i "woke up", I was NOT asking where I was and/or disorientated, or unsure of what happened. I knew what was going on and also most everything when i was out as well, just sorta knew things.

Anyhow, I know when i was "dead" was a much longer time in my experiance that in "real" life. I experianced what would have been many many days of things i watched or participated in whilst i was "dead". Way longer that even the time i was in coma. If i was to say experiance everything without travel, i'd say it was a solid month of time, 24/7 for 30 days give or take.

I was never afraid, nor was any the experiances "bad" albeit some were unnerving or jarring.

I went through so much, It's taken till now to process all the things that I expeianced to the point i can really feel comfortable talking about still only a portion of what happened, 3 years last july was when this happened, and I can only articulate 10-15% of it, I'm comfortable/figured out about 1/2 of the time i spent out of this realm, but there is not really words to describe some of the things...There is parts I still completely don't understand at all, that is I have some feeling/knowledge of it, but not able to articulate it...say no words can do the experiance justice is an understatement to say the least.

Now, before this experiance I'd like to think I'm fairly smart, but the things I gained knowledge of were way beyond my pay grade to say the least. And TBH nooone in my current employ or friends can understand this at all. Famliy the same way, college educated and in varying fiends, still not able to understand.

I'd like to say once again thanks to all the responses even the likes and WoW's are great. Also the people that have had any experiance in this are too.

I know that there are people that understand my delima, not having the words available in the english language to articulate things that are feelings from as best stated beyond this mortal realm.

There area areas like say "talking" about subjects way outside my areas of even casual knowledge at a depth i can only describe well past any "schooling" level. I say talking as no word close the explaination how the talking was acomplished, as no words were spoken at all. Like gaining knowledge to understand something completely well beyond the last level of learning, yet skipping even the rote level which is where we susally start. This is like knowing how to extrapolate the concept easily across any dicipline, then having to work it backward to the words that can convey the subject. From simple concepts per se like sub atomic particle physics, where I had some basic knowledge which makes it easier to work from what i experianced back to the basic concepts and terms that can make it better to articulate, or AI where i have some high level on that doing some work with people way back in the 90's and 2000's on nerual networks.

But overall I'm glad I have a place i can put out into the ether and in print these experiances in a calm and safe environment, I've really kept all this to myself, and only one person (Best friend since birth) that has even asked much about the experiance. And at that time the experiance was rather daunting and rather scary to look at, being just a month past the event.

Thank you all!!!

Reactions: AttilaThePun, BobbiSueEllen and Rusher
babykeiff said:

Yes, thoes are the definitions, and for me, i cannot say how long i was in a state without pulse/resp.

When the emt's came into my place, they checked for pulse and didnt get any, and not entirely sure what was done except for they did an IO on my leg, and I know some the tings I saw done on cctv but I cannot see my pluse from a camera or respiration either.

As it was I'm very thankful for the little app that calls on a fall, tthat called 911. I did see some meds they used, and I saw the paddles used, but not a whole lot, and wasnt keeping tract at the moment as it were. :)

Yeah, bain dead is sorta not recoverable, and i'm glad i didnt get there.

But you mention autonomic brain functions, I've had testing (Mayo) for this and found serious problems in my autonomic systems on the test. I could have told them that my BP goes from really high to low and passing out in a couple mins, and I randomly sweat, feel hot or cold, and other mild conditions.

Still got the unknown cause. either I fell down stairs (Which easily could be from accident or sleepwalking), or had some sorta nerological trauma or brain issue causein the fall. Either way eneded up with an experiance, a broken leg, lots of bruises and over the corse of that year being in the hospital more than home.

Whatever the diagnosis is, currently just added autonomic issues to the list, nothing can be worked on much, no magic operation or pill to take, albeit I've not been in the hospital for anything other than testing for the last year, still get a really low BP, have pills to help but they are too slow to avoid things like AKI's each time (Kidneys shut down), amongst other issues, so i'm letting my BP run a bit high, as high BP will kill you in years but low bp will kill you in mins.

But i'm still hanging in there.

babykeiff said:

yeah, I dont know if my heart stopped for 1 second or 1 min, or was in afib or what, as i was unconcious at the time.

I do know that when they brought me out of the house, the front door camera had a different look, they either hadn't drilled the IO yet or I couldnt see it but it was in a large amount of padding when i saw it after waking up in the icu days later, they were still having issues with keeping iv's working even after i woke up fully, and that really hurt when they used it a couple times too boot, they seemed they were doing cpr from the look of things. They were for sure doing cpr and paddles in my dining room, and bothe the techs seemed rather busy.

Some of this is from what i could see on security cameras, which mostly cover the perimeter of my house and property, not so much inside. What the icu nurse said when i woke up. So, quite a few holes in what exactly the emt's did in what order, and when.

I know for sure they did the IO (The emt's), not sure when/where was cathed, do know there was a note on them using narcan(sp) as I guess it can effect some the meds i am on, and that they had no pulse/resp when i was found by the emt's. I know I was totally out with no memories of the whole thing, which is prob a good thing.

The actual "definition" is less a concern to me than the experiance.

I experianced something more than I have with anything/drug/name it in my life by far.

If i was "dead" for 1 second or 1 year doesn't really matter to me at all, nor do i need nor looking to be in any competition as to this matter, in fact the "competition" over people saying you didnt die or they were dead longer, or under worse conditions is one of the reasons I don't like too talk about things. I'm not here for sympathy, pitty. I don't want or need any help with my general mood/feelings/or alike, or my current situation, I'm fine and have been for over 50 years now.

I'm really just trying to for lack of a better term put out the experiances to the ether, write down the experiances to a point and share it without any recompense.

Back