Hair removal. Ouch!

HugeBulge

He/Him
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I sometimes use those hair removal creams, like Veet*, for groin, legs etc.

The pharmacy had this little device. Phillips epilator. Bought it. OUCH!! It's sold in the cosmetics section, for y'all ladies. IDK maam. I salute your pain endurance.

What works? The cream works well, but is too much work for how short it lasts.

*Only not Veet. Because Veet stinks!! I used Veet once, and was vomiting for 2 days from the smell. The horrible smell stays in everything it touches for a while. Every time I'd get my hands close to my face, I'd smell the Veet and vomit. The pharmacy brand is much cheaper, works great, and has a nice smell.

Attachments

• th-2858304364.jpg
    th-2858304364.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1
Shaving foam and decent razors are a better option I think.

HugeBulge said:

The pharmacy had this little device. Phillips epilator. Bought it. OUCH!! It's sold in the cosmetics section, for y'all ladies. IDK maam. I salute your pain endurance.

*Only not Veet. Because Veet stinks!! I used Veet once, and was vomiting for 2 days from the smell. The horrible smell stays in everything it touches for a while. Every time I'd get my hands close to my face, I'd smell the Veet and vomit. The pharmacy brand is much cheaper, works great, and has a nice smell.
I shave most of the time, did use Veet once, great on my back and bum , but left me groin very sore, would definitely use it again, just not in the groin area, I’ll just keep shaving for now 😁👍🏻

I have used Magic Shaving Powder many times. Not sure what I did different the third or fourth time, but it stung. Never happened again and that was years ago. One becomes super smooth and a razor touch up may be needed in some spots.

I'm having a flashback of the late Joan Rivers commenting about an "As Seen On TV" product called "Epilady" that pulled your hair down there out by the roots. 🤪

HugeBulge said:

When I was a kid in junior high I had a good friend who could only be described as quirky. He was known to go off on a tangent quite frequently and during a fall evening of coon hunting he RAN OFF in a tangent…..after whizzing on a weed burner electric fence. You reminded me of him when you mentioned something about hair. Paul had the dream of smearing his hair full of Nair and then waxing his head once the Nair left him bare of hair! This was well over 50 years ago, a time when bald wasn’t considered nearly as beautiful as it’s practioners claim it to be today! I don’t rightly remember if I was ever near enough to Paul and his Nair to notice its odor, but I would imagine that it had a chemical smell that was noticeable to some degree if it was strong enough to strip the hair from your head….or legs. The Nair may have soaked in a bit too far in Paul’s case though as I remember a camping trip with him rooting through the Boy Scout handbook looking for something from Ma nature that he could harvest for supper. He came upon milkweed which was bad enough in its own right, but then he made it even more more memorable by getting the water for boiling his milkweed meal from the creek with a herd of cows crossing just upstream which resulted in them whizzing and taking dumps in the water and by extension in Paul’s milkweed/ cow urine bisque. It was great to get the chance to see Paul and many of our classmates lhis past August for our 50th class reunion. Most of us never thought that we’d live this long! By the way I think that I can find my old Boy Scout handbook if any of you want that milkweed recipe, but you’ll have to get your own bovine urine for seasoning. I wonder if they have developed Instant Milkweed or Minute Milkweed yet?

Here’s a belated Christmas gift;

Attachments

• 1703604622309.png
    1703604622309.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AttilaThePun
warmfeeling said:
I shave most of the time, did use Veet once, great on my back and bum , but left me groin very sore, would definitely use it again, just not in the groin area, I’ll just keep shaving for now 😁👍🏻
Speaking of devices when talking hair removal when I was in grade school I was at my dad’s office one day when one of his dealers, who like many others happened to be a farmer, brought in a device that, if I remember correctly looked something like a hair clippers, but he said that it worked via electrolysis. He scrapped my check with it and though it didn’t make any difference back then I haven’t been able to grow any hair in my beard in that area since. There’s hair everywhere in that area on the other side, but it’s bare as a baby’s bottom in that particular area that he scrapped many years prior..

• Wow
Zeke said:
Speaking of devices when talking hair removal when I was in grade school I was at my dad’s office one day when one of his dealers, who like many others happened to be a farmer, brought in a device that, if I remember correctly looked something like a hair clippers, but he said that it worked via electrolysis. He scrapped my check with it and though it didn’t make any difference back then I haven’t been able to grow any hair in my beard in that area since. There’s hair everywhere in that area on the other side, but it’s bare as a baby’s bottom in that particular area that he scrapped many years prior..
Yeah , i think it is because the electrolysis the thing applies , basically zaps and kill the hair folicle , making it so that hair will not grow in that area, is the only 100% efective hair removal tool

• Thinking
Reactions: Zeke and AttilaThePun
CuriousFabio said:
Yeah , i think it is because the electrolysis the thing applies , basically zaps and kill the hair folicle , making it so that hair will not grow in that area, is the only 100% efective hair removal tool
Laser hair removal is also 100% effective, but with some (long term) safety concerns. Electrolysis is the only effective FDA approved hair removal. Though electrolysis takes several treatments to get it all thoroughly.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and CuriousFabio
I use a Norelco body groom.

I'm not a very hairy person, I mostly have a bit on my legs and arms and a patch on my chest. I recently tried to shave my whole body with shaving cream and a manual razor. I shaved with then against the grain to get as close as possible. It worked fine but some places, especially the patch on my chest, got irritated. I started getting ingrown hairs on my chest which looked like red spots. When the hairs started to grow I had to take a small needle to hook the ends of the hairs out of my skin so it would heal faster.

I'm healed up now and I learned my lesson, I won't be doing that again lol. I bought a new Philips electric razor with a bunch of guards and attachments. It has body guards in 3mm and 5mm. I use the 3mm one all over to keep things short, and the hair stays long enough to prevent irritation or ingrown hairs. Really coarse curly hair tends to get irritated and ingrown if you trim it too short.

• Wow
HugeBulge said:
Laser hair removal is also 100% effective, but with some (long term) safety concerns. Electrolysis is the only effective FDA approved hair removal. Though electrolysis takes several treatments to get it all thoroughly.

Laser takes multiple treatments too. You've got me a bit worried about those long term concerns though... oh well in for a penny...

Reactions: AttilaThePun and CuriousFabio
CuriousFabio said:
I’ve been trying to fill in the gaps in my memory from when I was 8 or 9, at least that’s when I think the incident with my face getting electro zapped by that farmer/dealer occurred at dad’s office. Dad went to work for this company in ‘60 and we moved the 5 miles to the town his business was based in the summer of ‘63. We must’ve already moved because if I remember correctly I had ridden my bike to his office that morning so I was probably 8, or possibly 9. Maybe repeat treatments aren’t necessary if you receive them before you start growing hair as I did with my prepubescent beard. All that I can say for sure is that there’s a small, unexplained bald spot on my right cheek if this incident isn’t what caused it. I’ve been doing some research on the internet and don’t see any history of electrolysis being used for branding so I’m beginning to question my memory as to what the device was being used for by this man, not what happened or what the results of it happening were.

Tried cream, just smelled. IPL zapper, so so on thigh but "bakini" area grew furry again. Plain NEW razor, begin of spring, scarf the first x but mostly time consuming. Guess I'm just meant to be fuzzy.

I use an epilator weekly on my arms, legs, chest and stomach. It gets much easier with regular use. I shave my groin daily and my armpits weekly.

I occasionally use a cream all over (except my scrotum) as it leaves my skin soft and smooth in a different way.

May I suggest if you do it again use Nair hair remover doesn't hurt and doesn't smell

Back