Goodnites XL - Gap & leak... anyone else?

neophyte

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I am aware that there is a Goodnites thread with a billion comments; but I want to ask this question directly.

▶️ Has anyone else experienced any fitting issues with the new XL, specifically a gap in the upper front crotch/thigh area? ◀️

I can fit into XL comfortably and I have a normal body size, shape, and for the sake this topic my privates aren't enormous so it's not like my boys are pushing the diaper away from my body. With the L/XL I rarely ever had a leak or gap issue; but with the XL I leak about 75% of the time.

My Goodnites are constantly gaping in my crotch/thigh area which creates an opening where I will leak. I am both confused and very let down that the XL fit comfortably but has a gap. Even worse is when the diaper is slightly wet (33%) it will sag and create an even larger gap.

Because these are marketed for teens up to 18yrs old and 140+ lbs I really think that they should re-examine the leg guards and secondary leg guards to ensure a proper seal; also consider a bit more room for the boys which will help prevent the diaper being displaced. You cannot use the same design for girls and boys.

Here is an image to help illustrate where I am having an issue/gap.

4444.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. That usually happens when it gets really soaked and the SAP expands and is pushed out away from your groin area. Time to change it. If you’re still having issues- consider on wearing a plastic pants or upgrade to tabbed diapers.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21 and Angelapinks
jamiejamie said:
Yup. That usually happens when it gets really soaked and the SAP expands and is pushed out away from your groin area. Time to change it. If you’re still having issues- consider on wearing a plastic pants or upgrade to tabbed diapers.

This happens when dry too :(

TENA Overnight pullups are all white and super comfy and reliable so I can fall back on those, but I really wanted the new XL to work out and be somewhat reliable! I had better luck with the L/XL.

Reactions: Angelapinks
neophyte said:
This happens when dry too :(

TENA Overnight pullups are all white and super comfy and reliable so I can fall back on those, but I really wanted the new XL to work out and be somewhat reliable! I had better luck with the L/XL.
Oh ok I guess you may be exceeding the size and weigh limit of the XL Goodnites.

Huh funny enough I’m wearing a soaked goodnite XL right now and I don’t really have that problem, i guess it’s more of a “positioning” issue where you wet.

Reactions: Angelapinks
I have had a little bit of this occasionally, but it seems to maybe be worse when I’ve been wearing them for a while and the elastic gets too stretched out? Just my working theory at the moment

neophyte said:
I am aware that there is a Goodnites thread with a billion comments; but I want to ask this question directly.
▶️ Has anyone else experienced any fitting issues with the new XL, specifically a gap in the upper front crotch/thigh area? ◀️
I can fit into XL comfortably and I have a normal body size, shape, and for the sake this topic my privates aren't enormous so it's not like my boys are pushing the diaper away from my body. With the L/XL I rarely ever had a leak or gap issue; but with the XL I leak about 75% of the time.
My Goodnites are constantly gaping in my crotch/thigh area which creates an opening where I will leak. I am both confused and very let down that the XL fit comfortably but has a gap. Even worse is when the diaper is slightly wet (33%) it will sag and create an even larger gap.
Because these are marketed for teens up to 18yrs old and 140+ lbs I really think that they should re-examine the leg guards and secondary leg guards to ensure a proper seal; also consider a bit more room for the boys which will help prevent the diaper being displaced. You cannot use the same design for girls and boys.
Just for clarification I don't really think their target audience is up to 18 years old, they just made the XL size to accommodate overweight kids more so than older kids most likely. The fact of the matter is there is a lot more fat kids and fat people in general than there used to be and the new sizing accounts for that. Incidentally, I have never had an issue with Goodnites leaking, but I have like 3% body fat, a 27 inch waist, and weigh like 120-125 lbs. I normally wear boys size 14 clothes or 27 or 28 inch waist pants, for long pants I go up a size or two for the length (16 or 18 or occasionally 20). Fortunately most boys pants have an adjustable waist on the inside so they don't fall off or aren't too loose. I am pretty sure the problem for 99% of people on here that experience leaking or other problems is that they simply do not fit the product correctly and they are not within the constraints the product was designed for one way or another. Everyone on here likes to think they fit well or correctly but unfortunately that couldn't be further from the truth. Unfortunately most people on here are not going to fit properly in products designed for kids and teens, they just have to accept that reality and either be content with the product as it is (since it works fine for the target group), or use a different product actually designed for adults.

Reactions: NekoLittle
okmis said:
Just for clarification I don't really think their target audience is up to 18 years old, they just made the XL size to accommodate overweight kids more so than older kids most likely. The fact of the matter is there is a lot more fat kids and fat people in general than there used to be and the new sizing accounts for that. Incidentally, I have never had an issue with Goodnites leaking, but I have like 3% body fat, a 27 inch waist, and weigh like 120-125 lbs. I normally wear boys size 14 clothes or 27 or 28 inch waist pants, for long pants I go up a size or two for the length (16 or 18 or occasionally 20). Fortunately most boys pants have an adjustable waist on the inside so they don't fall off or aren't too loose. I am pretty sure the problem for 99% of people on here that experience leaking or other problems is that they simply do not fit the product correctly and they are not within the constraints the product was designed for one way or another. Everyone on here likes to think they fit well or correctly but unfortunately that couldn't be further from the truth. Unfortunately most people on here are not going to fit properly in products designed for kids and teens, they just have to accept that reality and either be content with the product as it is (since it works fine for the target group), or use a different product actually designed for adults.
and-the-truth-shall-set-you-free.jpg

You can say higher, but not clearer.

I weigh 132 - 134 pounds, hips 30 inches and I am 1.67 meters ... and I already realize they are not made for me ... I thought that "fit well" meant different things between Spanish and English, but I see that no, they mean the same thing, only that some interpret it differently.

okmis said:
I’m 6’3”, have about a 32ish waist and weigh right around 190 and I’ve had no issues with the new XL’s fitting me or ripping. I have still a good 2-3 inches until they get tight on me.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21 and pampersguy827
I haven't had your experience, fortunately, and am pleased with how the new XL fits me. I admit I do wear a pair of snug tighty-whities over my Goodnites to help keep the GN in place and that works great for me.

Reactions: Boltsboy86 and DanElmontan
6’1” and 154 lbs with 33” waist here and they fit me fine. Wearing XL boys undies over them definitely helps keep them in place during the day.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21
Just because a product doesn't rip doesn't mean it fits correctly, also if you are wearing underwear or plastic pants or the like in conjunction with them you are adapting the product because otherwise it doesn't fit correctly or function correctly. I just wear them as is without anything else without any issues to speak of...

It could be a function of body shape versus actual weight, as I wear size 34 pants and have no issues with the XL goodnites fitting or working for me. Mind you, I use them only for light protection in between changes and events that would make a normal tab style diaper a waste. What I also suspect is happening is people are also not taking care to keep from stretching the the elastics too much when they put them on. All pullups do require some care not to do this, and this is usually the number one thing that effects their performance.

On that note, let's be careful about criticizing people for their choice of diaper/pullup. We've been down this road before and arguing 'functional fit' versus 'Does this actually work for the person' leads to a lot of negative arguments and hurt feelings for no reason.

Reactions: Boltsboy86 and TigerDL
As some of you said before me ... just because you can use a product that explodes into a thousand pieces doesn't mean it "fits well".

and I say it as someone who uses goodnites on a daily basis, however I am aware that a product for children definitely DOES NOT "fit me well".

Are they leaking just below where the sides meet the front? Thats where the outside leg guards start.

If the front rides too low, it wont get a proper seal. Maybe the old L/XL didn't leak because it was tighter?

I weigh 170 lbs. and have 34" hips and a 28" waist and the new XL size fit and work great with me. I haven't noticed any gapping in my case. They only hold a decent wetting and I can still sit down without worry. Anything more and I would be worried. I don't have any problem wetting them in the morning in bed, as long as I don't overload them. I'll wear a tape on diaper to bed if I think I've drank too many fluids prior to going to bed. On an average night, I usually generate enough pee to thoroughly soak a Goodnites in the morning. That's why I prefer to wear a Goodnites to bed and a Megamax in the daytime. A Megamax would be mostly be wasted in the morning, so I only wear one if I drink extra on purpose before bed so I'll be sure to soak it more by morning.

Last edited:
No gap or leak yet.
But treat them/ the goodnites with a little respect.
They absorb almost to at least 2 wettings.

important thingy: Don't go sit down right after you peed.
Give the Goodnites the time to absorb. They are meant for bedwetting at 1st place. (y)

Reactions: lilcamper
Back