Getting diapered in the hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh. I was about to say, a baby bottle?
Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dylan292
I have a WELL documented incontinence issue - part of a disability I was born with - plus well known in the ER of the hospital I use (unfortunately) and am ALWAYS wearing a diaper when I get there have a good aamount of them with me - if I have a feeling I MIGHT have to stay over-night, I also bring an unopened pack with me. There was a few times I did NOT have enough with me, and having to use what they have there tends to make you NOT forget so much (they seem to work fine, but don't really fit right! - Call it one size fits all - more like xxxl!) While in the ER my wife has always been with me so no problem there as far as getting changed. When I do end up spending a night or longer - there is no issue with a nurses-aid or a nurse taking care of it.
(A am on the East cost - USA)

Reactions: checkingoutall
The problem is a nurse is not a Carer,
also your not alone in your room so others would
see your diaper.

I once was in a hospital where one guy was in diapers for
whatever reasons and it really looked like its no fun to him
or the nurses that needed to change him.
(of course they did not change him in front of everyone)

I don't know i would not want that to happen to me.

Slip92 said:
A relative of mine (mid 40s) had a stroke last year and when we went to visit he was wearing an ID slip tape up nappy. He was quite matter of fact about it and openly spoke about how he had to freely let go into it when he woke up in the morning.

Did the staff tell him he had to use the nappy when he previously would not have done? Why did they do this?

I've been disappointed several times in this situ': I've both needed time in hospital and have visited people in hospital (who are of let's say appropriate age) and what's on offer is always inserts with hold-in-place pants, unless you bring in your own it won't be taped products!!
Then again that's my experience, I think inserts may be a tad faster to deal with in hospital circumsti, it wouldn't surprise me that tapes could be too loud for a really quiet ward at night if you're not going to get re-roomed for changing (un-likely if you fathom it).

I was in my early 20's don't really remember could have been in my late 20's. but when I had to go I had to go now I was able to make it to the toilet. I don't remember how the nurse put it but I was almost put into a diaper

I work in a hospital no I am not medical field, but I order supplies and used to him up an visit patient I was surprised how many packs of diapers I would see in rooms that I went in to.

I posted this elsewhere a few weeks ago, and I thought it may interest members in this thread.

I recently had a most interesting conversation with my cousin Samantha the other day, which I thought I would share with you, and see if anyone here has had similar experiences, or heard of anyone who has.

Whilst we don’t see each other very often nowadays, when we were kids Samantha and I lived quite close to each other, and neither of us having siblings were in fact more like sisters than cousins; we played together almost daily, and often had sleepovers at each other’s homes. The fact that I was a bedwetter was not an issue, because she was too; we both slept in nappies and didn’t find it in the least bit unusual. But whilst I have never totally stopped wetting my bed (and do it most nights again now), she became dry in her mid-teens and has never had an issue since. She is one of the few people who know that I still have incontinence issues, and is also the only other person on the planet who knows that I also wear nappies for convenience and pleasure, as well as need.

We hadn’t spoken since New Year’s, and after the usual chat she said to me that she had a story to tell me that she thought might interest me. In February, she had spent two weeks in Portugal. During the second week, she tripped and fell and badly damaged her foot in the process. An ambulance was called and she was taken to a nearby medical centre. Because they were afraid that she had broken a bone, or bones, she was then transferred to a hospital for x-rays and further investigation or treatment.

‘You think our NHS hospitals are bad, with lengthy A&E waiting times, and people on beds and trolleys in corridors and so on, but let me tell you it’s nothing compared to what this place was like,’ she told me. ‘It was far worse than anything I’ve ever seen in this country; I was put in a room with more than twenty people crammed in, with little space between beds, no curtains, and no privacy. Everyone could hear what doctors and nurses were saying to each other and patients. After I’d had an x-ray, I was waiting to see a doctor when I realised I needed a pee pretty badly, so I called a nurse who I’d heard speaking English over and asked her to help me get to the loo.

‘I was utterly gobsmacked when she looked at me with a surprised expression on her face and said, “Haven’t you got a nappy on then?”

‘Of course, I told her that I hadn’t, but that I needed to go urgently. She then, rather reluctantly I thought, helped me to the toilet, and back to the bed when I had done.

‘The older lady in the next bed was an English ex-pat who then explained that it was quite normal for patients to be put in nappies when admitted to that A&E department, due to the lack of space, privacy, and curtains, etc. “Obviously, no-one wants to be put on a bed pan or a commode in full view of everyone else,” she told me, “and especially for patients with mobility issues like yourself, putting a nappy on them saves the nurses a lot of time and work. Because I have heart problems, and also walking difficulties, they always put one on me. I’m a bit surprised they didn’t with you.”

‘I told her that they hadn’t and that I don’t know how I would have reacted if they had tried to. She told me that she’d also had similar experiences when she’d been in hospital in Cyprus.

'It was quite an eye-opener, I can tell you, and I thought it might interest you.’

I laughed and said that if I ever got taken into one of those places that they probably wouldn’t need to bother putting a nappy on me, as it was quite likely that I’d already have one on anyway. I made Samantha laugh when I added that they might have to change me!

I have urge urinary incontinence and have had to wear a diaper 24/7 for many years. Over the past five years, I’ve had to spend several days in hospital three times, twice for knee-replacemnt surgery and once for hernia surgery. A nurse or orderly changed my diaper when I was unable to do so, but for the most part I was able to change myself. I had a roommate who also need to wear a diaper after my first knee-replacement surgery. But I had a private room on the other two occasions.

Reactions: Coley
I have had a few hospital stays in the past. The last couple times i had to be admitted my doctor had me go thru the ER, so they could run some test before going to my room. My doctor has it on my records that I'm incontinent due to my injury when I was younger, and I do wear diapers. The nurses are always professional, and never look down at me. Before taking me to my room I'm usually changed. The hospital diapers are not really all the good, but I wear them while I'm there. The last time I was in the hospital they had me in the attends poly back diapers. I was usually changed every 3 hrs or so, but if I messed I was changed sooner. I had diaper checks thru out the night. They always kepted a bag of my diapers on the stand next to my bed.

Reactions: Coley
The reality is awful compared to the fantasy of it.
When I was 21, I had 3 night in hospital and it was a miserable experience. I’m proud to wear nappies 24/7, but I also like feeling dignified.
I was staying in a hospital where lots of university students do their training - I found it to be extremely awkward to be seen in a bulging nappy by a 20-something student who was gaining experience on the ward. It was also quite embarassing when the nurses did their shift changeover and you would hear them openly talking about my incontinence issues and the fact I wore substantially sized pads.

Reactions: Stillbedwetting
Stillbedwetting said:
I have had a few hospital stays in the past. The last couple times i had to be admitted my doctor had me go thru the ER, so they could run some test before going to my room. My doctor has it on my records that I'm incontinent due to my injury when I was younger, and I do wear diapers. The nurses are always professional, and never look down at me. Before taking me to my room I'm usually changed. The hospital diapers are not really all the good, but I wear them while I'm there. The last time I was in the hospital they had me in the attends poly back diapers. I was usually changed every 3 hrs or so, but if I messed I was changed sooner. I had diaper checks thru out the night. They always kepted a bag of my diapers on the stand next to my bed.
How did the nurses check your diaper in the night? or the day for that matter?

stldl4 said:
How did the nurses check your diaper in the night? or the day for that matter?
During the night I just slepted in a t-shirt and diaper, and they would feel the front of the diaper. During the day I had on pajama bottoms, and they would pull down the bottoms to check my diaper.

Stillbedwetting said:
piece of advice of bring your own stuff if you can… It makes life easier and your skin will thank you

emp711 said:
piece of advice of bring your own stuff if you can… It makes life easier and your skin will thank you
Thanks for the heads up.

Slip92 said:
The reality is awful compared to the fantasy of it.
When I was 21, I had 3 night in hospital and it was a miserable experience. I’m proud to wear nappies 24/7, but I also like feeling dignified.
I was staying in a hospital where lots of university students do their training - I found it to be extremely awkward to be seen in a bulging nappy by a 20-something student who was gaining experience on the ward. It was also quite embarassing when the nurses did their shift changeover and you would hear them openly talking about my incontinence issues and the fact I wore substantially sized pads.
if you were 21 also, why was that awkward? Did you know some of the students outside of the hospital context? I promise you they were not bothered by it. They are informed about all that in ground-based labs before they ever enter the hospital for rotations. When I was younger and still most of the time I feel more comfortable when someone that is closer to my age is changing me it makes me feel normal

I have never spent a night in hospital luckily and hopefully never will, but I have often wondered how I would handle it if I did. This thread has been very reassuring thanks everyone

Reactions: LonelyFOX
I had a few hospital visits. Tests mostly. I usually go to the doctors. But when I'm at the hospital, I've never let a nurse change my diaper. I'm very personal about this. I can change my own diaper. Nurses just leave when I need privacy. I understand some patients need help. That's fine. But for me, I don't need help.

Reactions: luke
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back