getting an e-bike

chiaochai

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
as the title suggests, i am planning to get an ebike soon. ive already picked out which one im getting, so i dont really need any tips there. im pretty much brand new to biking, i am physically disabled and i thought this would be a good option to help me get out of the house and get at least a little bit of exercise (more than just laying in bed)

i wanted to make a thread and ask about any advice you guys might have for a first timer getting into ebikes/bikes in general and tips for wearing diapers while riding. i am a bit worried about chafing and which seat to get that will be most comfortable for wearing while riding. thanks in advance!

Reactions: Lilrae, Edgewater and Jorelaxed
Hi chiaochai, I used to ride mountainbikes before my back injury.
The most comfortable seat I got for my weekend rides was a very cushioned, wide, spring suspension beach cruiser seat for my mountain bike.

Reactions: Edgewater, PaddedRita and chiaochai
chiaochai said:
as the title suggests, i am planning to get an ebike soon. ive already picked out which one im getting, so i dont really need any tips there. im pretty much brand new to biking, i am physically disabled and i thought this would be a good option to help me get out of the house and get at least a little bit of exercise (more than just laying in bed)

i wanted to make a thread and ask about any advice you guys might have for a first timer getting into ebikes/bikes in general and tips for wearing diapers while riding. i am a bit worried about chafing and which seat to get that will be most comfortable for wearing while riding. thanks in advance!
Getting the Ebike called "SwagCycle Pro" Is a good cost efficient option, and I was able to even carry it one hand when not in use!

Just dont forget to fill the tires when they arrive! (I made that mistake not doing that!, lost my tires on the first day!)

Reactions: Edgewater, chiaochai and Jorelaxed
Jorelaxed said:
Hi chiaochai, I used to ride mountainbikes before my back injury.
The most comfortable seat I got for my weekend rides was a very cushioned, wide, spring suspension beach cruiser seat for my mountain bike.
thank you thats very helpful, i was actually browsing seats with spring suspension already and im glad to know they are comfortable for back pain.

Reactions: Edgewater and Jorelaxed
I've gone many times wearing a diaper while on my bike. My bike is just a regular bike that one pedals and I've not had any problem with chafing and I wear cloth diapers and they're usually wet while I'm biking. Hopefully, you should be fine in terms of chafing.

Reactions: Edgewater and chiaochai
dogboy said:
I've gone many times wearing a diaper while on my bike. My bike is just a regular bike that one pedals and I've not had any problem with chafing and I wear cloth diapers and they're usually wet while I'm biking. Hopefully, you should be fine in terms of chafing.
well thats certainly good news. i do plan to use the pedals when going up a hill or when im wanting to use less of the battery but hopefully less pedaling will mean that chafing is even less of an issue. i am u-ic so that means ill pretty much always be diapered while riding and i was a bit nervous. thanks for the response!

Reactions: Edgewater
I use my traditional non-electric bike every day, so I can say:
-rear-view mirror is very usefull, set it up.
-take care of weather, cold is colder, sunlight is harder on bike.
-you have to take care of traffic situations among cars and tracks, sometimes they can't see you!

Reactions: chiaochai and Edgewater
I ride a 'bakfiets', a classic dutch front loading cargo bike.
Honestly i've never really had any chafing from riding bicycles, i think you'll be fine too.
Depending on what bike you'll get, you might want to look into some 'balloon tires' like the schwalbe big apple and such, they add a pretty good amount of suspension to any bike.

i would advise to keep the power assist mode on a lower setting while you're still getting used to riding a bike.
Also, don't use the front brake in corners : )

My wife and I bought e-bikes about 2 years ago. Absolutely love them. Total game changer for riding. Surprisingly you can still get an excellent workout.

Forgot to mention I’ve rode with and without diapers. However I’m not prone to chaffing or rashes as many others are. Our bodies are all different so it becomes more of an individual trial and error

Reactions: Edgewater
As always, quality, name brand counts especially with warranty.

The battery and its care is very important, especially during colder weather as battery life decreases as temperature drops. Which brings up storage during off-season. The bike itself can handle freezing temperatures, but batteries really do not like temperatures below freezing. So ensure that the battery is easy to remove and place inside your home.

Both batteries and motors are improving every year, as is the speed controller and buying end of season has it cost advantages, but the new model year will come with newer tech battery, motor. and controller.

Note: Many bikes are available direct from manufacturer delivered direct to your home. If you are okay with reading and following direction it will save you some money. But, if maintenance is not one of your strong points, consider buying from a local, trusted bike shop as their price will including assembly and adjustments, plus some one of one time to get you out and riding on that first ride.

Options: Base your options on where you will be riding. City riding really wants the mirrors, turn signals, brake lights, riding lights.

NOTE: Top of the Line bikes can be expensive, but commonly includes near if not all the options. Assure that you compare pricing. That top-end rider maybe near or the same cost at point of your first ride.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: chiaochai and Cottontail
Wife and I got e-bikes a few years ago and use them constantly, although I've never ridden while diapered. Ours are Rad bikes. I have the RadRover and wife has the RadWagon, 2019 model year, and both are pretty much maxed out with cargo accessories. We live on a small island served by a ferry, and although the island has a general store, its prices verge on predatory. It really exists mainly for tourists. We do all our shopping on the mainland, and the ferry rate for bikes is a third of the rate for cars, so the bikes have paid for themselves through a savings in ferry expenses.

If we mainly used these bikes for commuting or just for leisure, we'd probably investigate some of the more compact or folding models. The newer ones are also a lot more ridable without the power assist. It's happened a few times that I forgot to charge the batteries between trips, and one of us has run out of power while out. Wife's bike especially is barely ridable without power. Flat roads are fine but hills are torture, even in first gear.

Good advice from @Edgewater above regarding battery care. Our bikes are stored year-round in an outdoor shed, but during the coldest months we have headlamps on in the shed--mainly for plants, but they help the bikes also.

Reactions: dogboy, chiaochai and Edgewater
chiaochai said:

Best thing for chafing is to make sure to have a fresh diaper before the ride. I always use rash cream before a longer ride as well. If it's not a super wide bike seat it will deteriorate the back of the diaper pretty fast especially with cheaper ones. Ive found cloth backed to be more comfortable and doesn't chaffe as much but I've also had those rip because of the bike seat on a long ride so make sure to have a spare.

Edgewater said:
As always, quality, name brand counts especially with warranty.

The battery and its care is very important, especially during colder weather as battery life decreases as temperature drops. Which brings up storage during off-season. The bike itself can handle freezing temperatures, but batteries really do not like temperatures below freezing. So ensure that the battery is easy to remove and place inside your home.

Both batteries and motors are improving every year, as is the speed controller and buying end of season has it cost advantages, but the new model year will come with newer tech battery, motor. and controller.

Note: Many bikes are available direct from manufacturer delivered direct to your home. If you are okay with reading and following direction it will save you some money. But, if maintenance is not one of your strong points, consider buying from a local, trusted bike shop as their price will including assembly and adjustments, plus some one of one time to get you out and riding on that first ride.

Options: Base your options on where you will be riding. City riding really wants the mirrors, turn signals, brake lights, riding lights.

NOTE: Top of the Line bikes can be expensive, but commonly includes near if not all the options. Assure that you compare pricing. That top-end rider maybe near or the same cost at point of your first ride.

Enjoy!
thank you, this is all excellent advice! i actually took care to find a bike i think i will be able to upgrade myself, and the battery has a hobby connector so replacing the battery should it ever fail will be an easier and less expensive task. i am pretty handy so i plan on learning to do any maintenance myself.

i also plan on storing the bike inside, because i live in a desert area and im sure the scorching days and freezing nights would not be good for the battery.

again, thank you so much for all this helpful advice! you guys sure are awesome for bike tips for a diaper forum XD

Reactions: dogboy and Edgewater
Lilrae said:
Best thing for chafing is to make sure to have a fresh diaper before the ride. I always use rash cream before a longer ride as well. If it's not a super wide bike seat it will deteriorate the back of the diaper pretty fast especially with cheaper ones. Ive found cloth backed to be more comfortable and doesn't chaffe as much but I've also had those rip because of the bike seat on a long ride so make sure to have a spare.
i actually was planning on upgrading to a wider bike seat as soon as i get the bike, so that is great to know it will be better for riding diapered. i have heard a few people say their disposable just ripped right open with the sap falling everywhere and i would really like to take every precaution to avoid that 😅

Reactions: Cottontail and Edgewater
chiaochai said:
i actually was planning on upgrading to a wider bike seat as soon as i get the bike, so that is great to know it will be better for riding diapered. i have heard a few people say their disposable just ripped right open with the sap falling everywhere and i would really like to take every precaution to avoid that 😅
Would wearing plastic pants over the diaper be a reasonable precaution the first couple of rides? Just in case the sap should come out...
Dependonme

Abnalover said:
Would wearing plastic pants over the diaper be a reasonable precaution the first couple of rides? Just in case the sap should come out...
Dependonme
hmm that is not a bad idea, ill probably do that for awhile just to make sure to avoid the sap falling out my shorts XD

Most e-bikes seem to come with actual seats, as opposed to the sort where you're balancing your coccyx on the end of a pipe. If the real me was the cute little weightless thing of my fantasies, I could get away with the latter sort of "seat." As it is though, one of those seems like a recipe for emergency colorectal surgery.

• Haha
Cottontail said:
Most e-bikes seem to come with actual seats, as opposed to the sort where you're balancing your coccyx on the end of a pipe. If the real me was the cute little weightless thing of my fantasies, I could get away with the latter sort of "seat." As it is though, one of those seems like a recipe for emergency colorectal surgery.
the one im getting looks a lot more like a regular mountain bike than ebike, and thus comes with the dreaded tiny seat. its okay though, i plan to immediately replace it with a cloud 9. ive heard its an excellent seat brand

Reactions: Edgewater and Cottontail
chiaochai said:
hmm that is not a bad idea, ill probably do that for awhile just to make sure to avoid the sap falling out my shorts XD
Please let me know how that works out.
Enjoy your ride.
Dependonme

Reactions: Edgewater and chiaochai
Back