Gardening.

Llayden said:
But did you eat the deer?
I shot it with my cross bow but it kept going onto other person's land and we are not allowed to follow then when that happens in this state, what a waste !!!:unsure:
but some are back in the yard so may-be this year.:giggle:

Last edited:
I am having an issue with something "breaking" off my corn plants at the ground. I have been blaming the dog. However last night I found one plant out in the front yard. Not only that but something has eaten my Plabano chili peppers off the plant. I am now sure it is a damn squirrel!!!

I have no problem Roasting the little shit when I catch him.

Just replanted my red and blue Hopi corn again (3X). If the little Rodent does it again I am buying LEG HOLD TRAPS and I hope the fuzzy rat suffers!!!!!!!

We picked up four large (basically 4x4x4-foot cube-shaped) wooden fruit bins from a local fruit packer last summer with the intent of making gardens out of them. Finally did it this year, after also building a deer-proof fence around them. One is full of strawberries, another tomatoes, and the other two have a mix of veggies. The weather we've been having is almost too good, though. Everything is just exploding. We have a solid 4x4-foot square pillar of tomatoes rising up from the tomato bin, the cucumber vines are pouring over the edge of their bin, and the kids have been picking at least two cups full of ripe red strawberries every day for the last week--from eight plants that were starts just a month ago.

We were actually in thinking of getting chickens this summer (already have goats), but with watering the landscaping, garden, and taking care of all our animals, I think I'm doing all I can. Chickens will wait!

Last edited:
I put a net around my cilantro to protect it from the cats, worked wonders ^^

winterheart01 said:
I put a net around my cilantro to protect it from the cats, worked wonders ^^
Ahh! We're growing cilantro also. I love cooking Mexican and southwestern food. This is my first time growing cilantro, however, and I just learned the hard way (with only one of the plants, fortunately) that you kind of have to be "mean" to it and regularly break off the stalks. Otherwise it quickly goes to flowers and loses its wonderful smell and flavor. Oops! CRAP!!

We've got cats too, but despite having plenty of yard for them to roam and play in, we have to keep them indoors. Around here, they're at the bottom of the food chain. Several neighbors have already had their cats fly away with eagles, never to be seen again. :(

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
Ahh! We're growing cilantro also. I love cooking Mexican and southwestern food. This is my first time growing cilantro, however, and I just learned the hard way (with only one of the plants, fortunately) that you kind of have to be "mean" to it and regularly break off the stalks. Otherwise it quickly goes to flowers and loses its wonderful smell and flavor. Oops! CRAP!!

We've got cats too, but despite having plenty of yard for them to roam and play in, we have to keep them indoors. Around here, they're at the bottom of the food chain. Several neighbors have already had their cats fly away with eagles, never to be seen again. :(
keeping cats indoor is more fun, they're so nice to cuddle then :D

but the cilantro wil stalk anyway, I did the same thing but after a while the ste and leafs will get hard and taste more bitter, then get flowers and seeds.
Only the younger cilantro leafs are usually used in the kitchen.
Also when growing them in warm climates they will do this faster.

Reactions: Cottontail
egor said:
I am having an issue with something "breaking" off my corn plants at the ground. I have been blaming the dog. However last night I found one plant out in the front yard. Not only that but something has eaten my Plabano chili peppers off the plant. I am now sure it is a damn squirrel!!!

that is the way I feel about the deer.
Up north there we have frost sometimes into June so don't get to plant until around then, But I got most my garden in. I plant beens with my corn as they help each other grow.
I would of been done sooner but my teller broke down and had to fix it.

I have to protect my flowering plants from the deer. I've used deer urine spray and that helps for a while, but the best way to go is with some sort of fencing.

dogboy said:
I have to protect my flowering plants from the deer. I've used deer urine spray and that helps for a while, but the best way to go is with some sort of fencing.
Oh man, that deer spray stuff is gross. We use it to defend various shrubs in the yard that can't really be protected any other way, but I hate it. It's most needed in the spring and summer months, when everything is at its leafiest. And, of course, that's also when we want to have our windows open. So, inevitably, the house ends up smelling of cayenne pepper, or rotten eggs, or deer pee, or whatever the spray's active ingredient is--for a day or two, anyway. I used the pepper kind last year. It worked ok, and was slightly less offensive to my nose than the other kinds, so that's probably what I'll use this year. I haven't sprayed yet, but probably should this week.

Last edited:
dogboy said:
Yes a fence is good but a 7 foot, any thing less they can jump, is expensive. but as egor said I have no problem roasting them.
If it is not the deer it is the coons, or rabbits. I do have some 6 foot fence I am trying hope it works.

Cottontail said:
Oh man, that deer spray stuff is gross. We use it to defend various shrubs in the yard that can't really be protected any other way, but I hate it. It's most needed in the spring and summer months, when everything is at its leafiest. And, of course, that's also when we want to have our windows open. So, inevitably, the house ends up smelling of cayenne pepper, or rotten eggs, or deer pee, or whatever the spray's active ingredient is--for a day or two, anyway. I used the pepper kind last year. It worked ok, and was slightly less offensive to my nose than the other kinds, so that's probably what I'll use this year. I haven't sprayed yet, but probably should this week.

I still have medical latex gloves left over from when I was getting my wife on her kidney dialysis machine. If I have to use the deer spray, I put on the latex gloves first because that stuff seems to go everywhere....yuch!

dogboy said:
I still have medical latex gloves left over from when I was getting my wife on her kidney dialysis machine. If I have to use the deer spray, I put on the latex gloves first because that stuff seems to go everywhere....yuch!
A 30-30 works better.

I realized something today. I am putting fresh bark dust on the front beds so that my wife's cat doesn't have to go inside to use the cat box.

I have been leaving at 8:00 for a Dr. appt/procedure every morning for the last three weeks and I have noticed that where I spread bark the day before there is several mounds in it in the morning.

I got back from the appt this morning and spread another 7 bags of mulch/bark dust, and her )^((^ cat wanders over just as I finished and clears a spot, takes a dump and makes a nice little pile of bark. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Haha....better outdoors than indoors!

egor said:
I realized something today. I am putting fresh bark dust on the front beds so that my wife's cat doesn't have to go inside to use the cat box.

I have been leaving at 8:00 for a Dr. appt/procedure every morning for the last three weeks and I have noticed that where I spread bark the day before there is several mounds in it in the morning.

I got back from the appt this morning and spread another 7 bags of mulch/bark dust, and her )^((^ cat wanders over just as I finished and clears a spot, takes a dump and makes a nice little pile of bark. :ROFLMAO:
Will you get fertilizer as will then. and it is free.

egor said:

Well I caught the culprit this morning. It is a flying rat AKA Crow that the &()_&&^ Neighbor is feeding bread to every morning. The little Prick flew over from their front yard into my garden and dug around until I chased it off. Now I am on my way to get some shiny strips to hang up to attempt to keep it away.

I bought a Sheridan pump pellet gun a few years ago. We're not aloud to fire a gun within our city limits, but a pellet gun just makes a small pphhhtttt sound: silent but deadly. I actually bought it because we now have coyotes in Lynchurg, VA. I guess they're a long way from home. Regardless, I try to live peacefully with all my neighboring animals as long as they don't bother me.

dogboy said:
I bought a Sheridan pump pellet gun a few years ago. We're not aloud to fire a gun within our city limits, but a pellet gun just makes a small pphhhtttt sound: silent but deadly. I actually bought it because we now have coyotes in Lynchurg, VA. I guess they're a long way from home. Regardless, I try to live peacefully with all my neighboring animals as long as they don't bother me.
I grew up with an arms collector for a dad, and shooting in the back yard (even in an ordinary neighborhood setting) was just a thing. What's more, Dad had a passionate hatred for crows, which was nurtured by my mom's love of robins. She'd seen a crow tearing apart a nest full of baby robins once, and after that, Dad had no patience for crows. He'd hear the cawing sound and grab the pellet gun. And he was a good shot. No crow ever got a second chance.

Where I live now, we've got lots of ravens and very few crows. The ravens don't seem to care about the garden or the other plantings, but they love to eat voles, and the vole population here is ridiculous. I'm happy for anything that picks off those little guys. They've swiss-cheesed the ground behind our rock wall, and I'm probably going to have to bring in more fill to plug their darned burrows.

Last edited:
Finally got the garden planted last night. Put the last batch of Hopi Corn into the ground. Now to get the weeds under control. Big plus, I retrained some of the tomato plants and I actually have some tomatoes setting. I have been worried at two levels because I just have not seen that many bees around.

Back