Forwards or backwards in time what would you choose, and why?

LittleAndAlone said:
The logical thing to do would be to travel to the future in my own lifetime and see stock markets, sports outcomes, real estate crashes, etc.

Knowledge of the ancient past with no abilities to change anything isn't useful and if you discovered some big secret like aliens interfered with our culture, nobody would believe you.

Similarly observing future calamities or learning something like climate change was entirely natural and giving up our luxury and industrialized ways was always futile, again nobody would believe you or you'd be arrested for terrorism having inside knowledge of an event that hasn't happened yet.

I would like to know if we ever have another major physics breakthrough and ever get any sort of solid state field propulsion that doesn't need propellants or reaction mass or if we discover things like FTL (faster than light) propulsion and free space projection (displaying images in mid air anywhere) or ever obtain incredible energy sources (fusion, matter-anti matter, zero point, etc). But being I wouldn't be alive to enjoy such things that far ahead knowledge of it is again not only useless but depressing.

So fuggit, I'm gonna get rich off it then.
Did Atlantis exist? Who built it? Were they more technologically advanced than we are now? Not necessarily Aliens, just a more advanced civilisation than ours, why do we only believe that we are the only advanced civilisation to have ever occupied the world? Whose to say that we are not on an endless repeat cycle? Then a natural or man made disaster wiped it all out, and we start at the beginning again?

Last edited:
ILuvDiapers said:
Are but were they? that's the question isn't it :unsure: i don't believe either were built by labourers. The official line is it was built by Khufu as a burial chamber, but no mummies either Khufu or otherwise have ever been found inside any of the pyramids? However some archaeologists have dated the Giza Pyramids and the Sphinx at between 10-12 thousand years, long before any Egyptian dynasties existed, they simply claimed them as their own, but were they already there? Everything is based solely on interpretation. Same with StoneHenge? too many unanswered questions for it to be just taken as fact. Seeing is believing. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, they were. Of course they were built by labourers, even the silly proposals recognise that there was a lot of labour required. Anyone can make a claim no matter how ridiculous but that does not unanswer answered questions.

Seeing is seeing, believing is believing. Often they correspond but all too regularly they do not.

ILuvDiapers said:
Did Atlantis exist? Who built it? Were they more technologically advanced than we are now? Not necessarily Aliens, just a more advanced civilisation than ours, why do we only believe that we are the only advanced civilisation to have ever occupied the world? Whose to say that we are not on an endless repeat cycle? Then a natural or man made disaster wiped it all out, and we start at the beginning again?

No. It was an allegory used by Plato, not a real place.

A cyclical existence would be completely illogical, there are patterns in history but that does not point to a process of cycling.

Anemone said:
Yes, they were. Of course they were built by labourers, even the silly proposals recognise that there was a lot of labour required. Anyone can make a claim no matter how ridiculous but that does not unanswer answered questions.

Seeing is seeing, believing is believing. Often they correspond but all too regularly they do not.
Nah, without actual proof all you have is someone saying it happened this way or that? Doesn't mean it did. :unsure: For events which occurred many thousands of years ago, there is no physical proof of how they came about, other than myths and legends, both of which will always be open to speculation and interpretation.
Anyone can make a claim no matter how ridiculous but that does not unanswer answered questions.

Last edited:
Anemone said:
No. It was an allegory used by Plato, not a real place.

A cyclical existence would be completely illogical, there are patterns in history but that does not point to a process of cycling.
Again, it's open to how you interpret things, and what you choose to believe or not. Answered questions by whom? With what legitimacy? without documented evidence you are reliant on someone else saying it happened this way or that.

Last edited:
ILuvDiapers said:
Nah, without actual proof all you have is someone saying it happened this way or that? Doesn't mean it did. :unsure: For events which occurred many thousands of years ago, there is no physical proof of how they came about, other than myths and legends, both of which will always be open to speculation and interpretation.

There is quite a lot of physical evidence, archaeology is a more impressive science than it is often credited as.

ILuvDiapers said:
Again, it's open to how you interpret things, and what you choose to believe or not. Answered questions by whom? With what legitimacy? without documented evidence you are reliant on someone else saying it happened this way or that.

We have the evidence. Fantasies like these only survive by a decision to disregard anything less fun than the preferred narrative i.e. facts.

Anemone said:
There is quite a lot of physical evidence, archaeology is a more impressive science than it is often credited as.

We have the evidence. Fantasies like these only survive by a decision to disregard anything less fun than the preferred narrative i.e. facts.
The preferred narrative is exactly my point, glad you finally grasped it. It's based on a hypothesis not actual facts! Keep pushing the same narrative until everyone falls in line. :)

I'd like to move into the future,maybe I could piggyback off of the knowledge I would gain there somehow.
I could bring back the secret of making disposables environmentally friendly.

Reactions: newAB43 and ILuvDiapers
longallsboy said:
Or take photos of dinosaurs and pterodactyls / pteronadons, LOL. My brother was nuts about dinosaurs (and trains) at age 6. Be sure to take your analog camera (or smartphone camera) too! LOL. You'd probably more likely have to go to the Jurassic period, though. 😉

Why would you want to kill your grandfather to make yourself disappear? You had that bad a life that you wish you didn't exist?

I mean, I have Autism and ADHD which is very difficult to live with and I suffered way too much and was bullied too much in my life, but I think I'd rather be a 3 year old forever physically since I am already like a 4 1/2 year old emotionally and socially (and in some ways, perhaps mentally to some extent). I think I would happy going back to preschool / nursery school and wearing cute children's clothing or shoes. And my mom never yelled at me at that age and was gentle with me. And the bullies in Oregon wouldn't mess with me. Even if I was a proportionate pituitary dwarf that even LOOKED like a 4 year old, I probably wouldn't be bullied. Who kind of adult on the internet bullies a preschooler online or even a pituitary dwarf or anything that even resembles a preschooler? A psychopath?? I mean I would love being a 3 or 4 year old. I have hardly any adult rights anyway. But now that I'm a so called "adult" (who happens to be quite developmentally disabled), I don't have my child rights either. It's worse than being a 3 year old. I would never wish myself to disappear if given the option to be a 3 year old again, no way. Riding on Power Wheels would even be fun - though they didn't have that even I was a preschooler in the late 1970s / early 1980s. Sitting on my mom's lap would be fun, given piggyback rides would be fun, wearing overalls or long-alls would be fun, and so would any T strap shoes (although I never wore T strap shoes as a child). Being able to ride kiddie rides at amusement parks would open up more options of fun rides to ride, as I am really scared of roller coasters (even kiddie roller coasters scare me). And I did try. I rode on several roller coasters between the time I was 6 and 9 years old, with my dad, and always hated them and they scared the daylights out of me. I tend to prefer tame children's rides (like the Red Baron Airplane circular type rides, similar to Dumbo at Disneyland, or stuff like the tea cup type rides). A lot of those rides at a lot of amusement parks have maximum height limitations to around between 54 and 58 inches tall. Even being a child would be for me, a new lease on life, people would be a lot more understanding towards me - and my Autism. People tend to be not as critical of children, especially preschoolers and toddlers. At least in society as far as others like strangers go.

- longallsboy
Killing the grandpa thing was a joke based on the dangers of time travel. The theory is that if you change one thing, it can alter the present and future. I watch a lot of science fiction...haha. Obviously if you kill your grandfather, you wouldn't exist in the present because you would have never been born.

• Thinking
Reactions: longallsboy
I'd go backwards to see through the eyes of the apostle Thomas, after Jesus's crucifixion. To see if Thomas actually put his finger through the nail hole in the hand of the allegedly risen Jesus. If this was an actual event, and not a hallucination, I want to see the proof of Jesus's resurrection to finally put my mind at ease...

• Wow
Reactions: ILuvDiapers
ILuvDiapers said:
This is a strictly a hypothetical question, but imagine if a way existed, which would allow your mind, but not your physical self to travel to a specific location and period in time be it forwards or backwards in time. What would you choose, where would you choose and why?
Forwards. I want to see if I escape the life I'm forced to live. The life I want is so close but so far and I'm scared im going to lose my resolve to keep going.

• Wow
ILuvDiapers said:
The preferred narrative is exactly my point, glad you finally grasped it. It's based on a hypothesis not actual facts! Keep pushing the same narrative until everyone falls in line. :)

With the exception that, unlike the non-preferred narratives you have suggested, the hypothesis is based on actual facts. There is a reason that it is preferred.

You seem to want to lean into an extreme post-modern take on constructivism which is intellectually dishonest. If that's fun for you then fair enough I guess but it's not particularly interesting for anyone else, myself included.

If you are actually in earnest then there is a different conversation to be had but to be honest I struggle to see that being appropriate. My apologies if I'm mistaken.

• Sad
Anemone said:
With the exception that, unlike the non-preferred narratives you have suggested, the hypothesis is based on actual facts. There is a reason that it is preferred.

You seem to want to lean into an extreme post-modern take on constructivism which is intellectually dishonest. If that's fun for you then fair enough I guess but it's not particularly interesting for anyone else, myself included.

If you are actually in earnest then there is a different conversation to be had but to be honest I struggle to see that being appropriate. My apologies if I'm mistaken.
You are very much mistaken! However i would appreciate it if we just agree to disagree and leave it at that! I don't want this post to be dominated with back and forth threads between you and me.

Please allow others to post their threads without constant criticism, and or levelling constant accusations. This was only meant to be a fun post for everyone to engage in, not a back and forth between you and me on differing onions.

Reactions: Anemone
Kaep said:
Forwards. I want to see if I escape the life I'm forced to live. The life I want is so close but so far and I'm scared im going to lose my resolve to keep going.
🫂

ILuvDiapers said:
You are very much mistaken! However i would appreciate it if we just agree to disagree and leave it at that! I don't want this post to be dominated with back and forth threads between you and me.

Please allow others to post their threads without constant criticism, and or levelling constant accusations. This was only meant to be a fun post for everyone to engage in, not a back and forth between you and me on differing onions.
Opinions, not onions :ROFLMAO:

I would travel to the future to see what would occur. My past was full of a lot of negative that I'm in no hurry to revisit because a lot of it was abuse from a parent.

• Sad
Now if it were my mind and body and I wasn't just observing definitely the past

mistykitty said:
I would travel to the future to see what would occur. My past was full of a lot of negative that I'm in no hurry to revisit because a lot of it was abuse from a parent.
I'm so sorry that happened to you! I hope your future turns out to be much more positive. 🫂

Reactions: mistykitty
It would be interesting if you could go back and see your young self. I suspect we'd all be shocked at some of the questionable things we did. We might also be surprised at the kind of loving things we did. We'd also get to see all those things that went out of style and disappeared.

Reactions: ILuvDiapers and longallsboy
dogboy said:
It would be interesting if you could go back and see your young self. I suspect we'd all be shocked at some of the questionable things we did. We might also be surprised at the kind of loving things we did. We'd also get to see all those things that went out of style and disappeared.

I would love to be 3 to 3 1/2 years old again for sure.

To be honest, it would be probably be interesting to see myself even from a third party point of view - I mean like what other people saw in me when they walked past me. If I could see myself from a detached stranger's point of view. I do have a video my parents took of me at that age, but it is a Super 8 video and isn't too long (5 minutes total) and has no sound whatsoever. So I can't even hear myself. The Super 8 roll was only 6 minutes total. Also the video isn't as vibrant or as good in terms of color as a 35 mm still camera photo. I guess it was the best you could do in the later 1970s.

- longallsboy

Last edited:
Back